Afghanistan Shooting

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Afghanistan Shooting

Postby tidewaterjc » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:24 am

All,
As a member of the armed forces, I am deeply embarrassed by the recent actions of one soldier in Afghanistan. As most of you have seen on the news, Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales is accused of a killing 16 villagers in a grisly attack that sparked rage in Afghanistan.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/17/world/asi ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Most Americans are smart enough to know that this is in no way a reflection of the US Military as a whole, but a singular event that his leaders should have taken action to prevent prior to reaching this tragic state.

The overwhelming majority of young men and women serving the United States military are the finest our nation has to offer, and I hope that the public realizes this and continues to support our hero's abroad.

I am deeply saddened and professionally embarrassed over this particular event.

JC
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Afghanistan Shooting

Postby meineymoe » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 am

It is an unfortunate event, JC - I agree that it is most likely the mental/emotional state that the young man was in, and unfortunately he was in a position to perpetrate such a crime. I don't see it as a reflection on the service men and women in the armed forces.

-oo-

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:33 am

Hate to this this, but this certainly doesn't change my really positive view of the U.S. Military. A very big Thank You to JC and others for their service and defending our country and freedoms. Thanks a million!
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

melish1631
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby melish1631 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:52 pm

My cousin served a few tours over in Iraq and thankfully is home safe and now a member of the NYFD. I have several friends that were deployed in both Iraq and Afghanistan...my father was a vet and he always explained that I was lucky to not have to go overseas and how difficult it is on today's soldiers! Not that I'm an expert but part of the problem in my opinion is 'soldiers' are asked to do everything but be a soldier...they police foreign nations, nation building, emergency relief...etc
This case is a tragedy but from the news reports (I hate the press)...this soldier had a major brain injury and was sent back for a 4th tour?
DLF IDP Invitational (Commish)
IDP Smallville
IDP Big Play