Endpoint vs Micro SE

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Endpoint vs Micro SE

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Most computer stuff is completely over my head. Debating antivirus for new computer- Semantec Endpoint and Microsoft Security Essentials. Thoughts on which is better?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Endpoint vs Micro SE

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:48 pm

I don't know much about Semantec Endpoint but I use Msft Security Essentials and am very happy with it.

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:03 pm

I used to use Avast freeware and it did the job very well. I know others who swear by AVG, which I tried for a little.

Back in November, I made the ultimate antivirus upgrade and bought a Macbook Pro. :P

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:49 am

First off, it is a myth than viruses do not exist on the MacOS. The primary difference is that the registry is so protected and inaccessible save to a handful of people at Apple that infections are much easier to remove.

Second, I use MSSE as it has the lowest overhead (CPU and memory usage) of pretty much every AV in the market. I used to be an AVG user and never was a fan of Avast.

At the end of the day, choosing an AV software is much like choosing the manufacturer of a PC or a car...everyone is going to have an opinion.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:22 am

skip wrote:First off, it is a myth than viruses do not exist on the MacOS. The primary difference is that the registry is so protected and inaccessible save to a handful of people at Apple that infections are much easier to remove.
I knew my comment would get a response :D. I never said that viruses didn't exist on OSX though... The idea of antivirus is to lessen your chances of your computer encountering any viruses. Since OSX innately does that, it's a form of antivirus in theory, is it not?

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:45 am

BeRanDone wrote:
skip wrote:First off, it is a myth than viruses do not exist on the MacOS. The primary difference is that the registry is so protected and inaccessible save to a handful of people at Apple that infections are much easier to remove.
I knew my comment would get a response :D. I never said that viruses didn't exist on OSX though... The idea of antivirus is to lessen your chances of your computer encountering any viruses. Since OSX innately does that, it's a form of antivirus in theory, is it not?
Viruses are more common the PC due to the design of the OS as well as the more wide-spread use of them than of the Mac. Most don't know that there actually is also a "built-in" AV software in the MacOS as well.

Every system is at risk regardless of what AV you run which is why I use the one which has the least overhead. Think of an AV software in the same way as getting a vaccine. A vaccine's design is to protect against known threats/risks, but it cannot be designed against an unknown risk. So if a new strain of a virus goes wild, people can get infected regardless of their prevention efforts. A computer is the same way. Today there will be someone releasing a new infection into the "wild" of the internet. It takes time (hours, days, sometimes weeks) for AV companies to gather enough information to make the necessary changes to their software & database to block that infection. In the meantime, systems will get infected.

BeRanDone
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby BeRanDone » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:53 am

skip wrote:Viruses are more common the PC due to the design of the OS as well as the more wide-spread use of them than of the Mac. Most don't know that there actually is also a "built-in" AV software in the MacOS as well.

Every system is at risk regardless of what AV you run which is why I use the one which has the least overhead. Think of an AV software in the same way as getting a vaccine. A vaccine's design is to protect against known threats/risks, but it cannot be designed against an unknown risk. So if a new strain of a virus goes wild, people can get infected regardless of their prevention efforts. A computer is the same way. Today there will be someone releasing a new infection into the "wild" of the internet. It takes time (hours, days, sometimes weeks) for AV companies to gather enough information to make the necessary changes to their software & database to block that infection. In the meantime, systems will get infected.
Very well said. The analogy got me thinking of Resident Evil and The Walking Dead though. :lol:

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 am

BeRanDone wrote:
skip wrote:Viruses are more common the PC due to the design of the OS as well as the more wide-spread use of them than of the Mac. Most don't know that there actually is also a "built-in" AV software in the MacOS as well.

Very well said. The analogy got me thinking of Resident Evil and The Walking Dead though. :lol:
I have been using this analogy for over 3 years with the customers I deal with who just don't understand how what they have can't fully protect them. In almost all cases, infections are self-inflicted based on user behavior on the PC (clicking those nice email links, types of web sites they visit, peer-to-peer software, etc.). And amazingly almost no one seems to know how it got on the machine...and the ones that do completely acknowledge that they were "doing something I shouldn't have been doing". People are funny.