A minor moral dilemma

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
Eight7Seven
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

A minor moral dilemma

Postby Eight7Seven » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:58 am

I'm facing a minor moral dilemma that I'd appreciate outside feedback on. I posted it on reddit but as I don't really feel connected to they website I thought I'd also post it here.

The morality behind accepting money you don't feel is owed to you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askphilosophy/ ... _dont_feel
Team One: Children of the Light
12 Team PPR- Superflex- Dynasty - Start 9

QB: Herbert, Watson, Young, Cousins
HB: Bijan, Etienne, J.Jacobs, Najee, D.Harris, J.Ford
WR: Olave, Smith-Njigba, Pittman, Jeudy, Jameson, A.Cooper, Cooks, P.Cambell, T.Marshall, Boutte (T.S.)
TE: Hockenson, Kmet, L.Schoonmaker, Likely (T.S.)
Picks: 2024 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd & 3rd

Team Two: One Nation
12 Team IDP- PPR- Superflex- Dynasy - 8 Offensive Starters- 1 DL, 1 EDR, 2 LB, 2 DB, 1DP (DL/LB/DB)

QB: Mahomes, Love, Lance, Purdy
HB: Chubb, Etienne, Akers, Dillion, J.Cook, P.Strong (T.S.), Z.White (T.S.)
WR: Waddle, Jameson, A.Cooper, “Bayou”.Michael.Thomas, Pickens, T.Marshall
TE: Waller, I.Smith.Jr, Otton (T.S.)
LB: D.Lloyd, Q.Walker, D.Long, J.Baker, J.Jewel
DB: J.Chinn, J.Pitre, J.Brisker
DL/ER: S.Hubbard, K.Mack, K.Paye
Picks: '23 1.05, 1.07, 1.12 & 3.07

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: A minor moral dilemma

Postby bruiser » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:39 am

You sound like a good, decent dude. I've read your q's on the commish forum, too. I'd say:

The older you get, the more you will understand to take what is rightfully yours. There's a saying I heard about 5 years ago that will stick with me, whether I choose to follow it or not (idk). "If at 20 and not a liberal, you have no heart. If at 40 and still a liberal, you have no brain."
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: A minor moral dilemma

Postby skip » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:39 am

Just because you were a WILLING victim does not mean that you weren't a victim... This is an issue becoming an increasingly serious problem for companies - particularly ones that are decentralized. Even assuming that you DID take breaks and lunches, there is also an accountability they placed on you to record them. You could very well have been of suspect character, taken more than your fair share of time away, and still falsified reports making it look as though you hadn't gotten that time only to come back later as party in this lawsuit more than happy to "double dip".

I worked for nearly 8 years for a company that took recording this information to an extreme. I supervised 30-35 remote employees and it was my responsibility to submit a daily report of their actions. So if someone missed a break or a lunch according to their time clock, I had to track them down and find out why. This consumed probably half of my work day just to make sure people weren't working when they were supposed to be taking time off.

I am far, far, FAR from being on the liberal side of things but there are reasonable labor laws in place that this company violated. Whether you followed their wishes willingly or not or felt hurt as a result, you are still entitled to those funds as they should have never placed you in that position at the start.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.