Car shopping

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
toine
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Car shopping

Postby toine » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:57 pm

anyone got an opinion on cars?

Looking at a 2013 Volks GTI or 2013 Caddy ATS for around the same price. I had a 2007 GTI and loved it. Worried a bit about Caddy reliability. Could also get a sweet deal on a brand new 2016 ATS lease, but have never leased before. Not sure I want to pay for 4 years and just bring back the keys...
Don’t be sad that it’s over. Smile because it happened.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Car shopping

Postby skip » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:38 am

I'm not a "car guy" at all and haven't owned anything you are asking about. My only advice is to shop around and consider using eBay as well. I think my first purchase of a vehicle on eBay was 12 or 13 years ago. Only once did I deal with an a-hole. A LOT of dealers will sell their cars there and you can get them cheaper than getting one from a lot.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:26 am

Check consumer reports ratings. Very helpful for picking the right car in terms of reliability.

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Probably old news now but was car shopping several years ago and all the dealers were about the bait and switch. They advertise a good deal on a car they don't actually have to get you to the store, then try to sell you something different. T'was a highly annoying tactic to deal with. You can get a decent deal on a car as long as you're willing to walk away and absolutely do not tell them how much you're willing to spend.