What's your story?

Politics, world events, under-water basket weaving, everything goes in this forum. Please keep it respectful at all times.
dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

What's your story?

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:37 am

The recent "Introduction" thread reminded me that we didn't have a general thread for folks to introduce themselves. Well, now we do. Tell us about yourself -- your fantasy football history, your dog, your collection of pro athletes' toenail clippings, whatever.

Feel free to comment on others' posts, but keep it positive (we'll have a quick deletion trigger in this thread). Thanks!
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

GridironGuerilla
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: What's your story?

Postby GridironGuerilla » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:47 am

Hell, I'll kick it off. I'm new here, just joined the forum in March and I'm glad I did. I've only been playing fantasy football for six years now but I am completely obsessed. I am in 7 active leagues at the moment, 4 of which are Dynasty and 1 that is a keeper. I can't get enough. Like a lot of you I spend the days at work and commuting with every podcast I can get my hands on soaking up information at every opportunity day and night, on and "off" season. I live in Northern California and work for a beer distributorship as a pricing coordinator so I spend plenty of time behind a computer screen which is always a plus in the world of internet based fantasy hosting sites and information. Besides my addiction to fantasy, I am also an avid hunter, fisherman, beer brewer, camper, and outdoor enthusiast (as long as said outdoor activity includes a cold one!). Hopefully I can contribute around here and look forward to learning from you veterans out there. Cheers!
"If on 4th down, the quarterback doesn't complete his pass, they will turn over the ball."

-Booger McFarlland

Stevens61310
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Stevens61310 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:10 pm

What to say, what to say? I have been doing fantasy football for so long that I bet I have been doing it longer than some of you have been alive. I remember setting lineups by touchtone phone--yeah. I am currently in 21 leagues--6 of which are dynasty and another that is the "friends and family" league that I run.

I spent 6 years as a Marine, the rest of my relevant work history was spent in distribution/logistics management. Several years back I had an accident at work in which my feet were crushed and there was some discussion that I might never walk again. That came to pass but I do have very limited mobility and spend a good portion of my day reading or on the computer.

Other than fantasy football I do some fishing, am an avid reader, used to bowl--but I am unable to do that anymore, politically active. Since my work accident I have returned to school (yes--even at my age) and am majoring in history/political science.

I live and have spent the majority of my adult life in SoCal near the Ontario area. Some call that the Inland Empire.

I feel that the things I am interested seem to be an odd conglomeration

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

JJDubya
MVP
MVP

Postby JJDubya » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:51 pm

dlf_jules wrote:The recent "Introduction" thread reminded me that we didn't have a general thread for folks to introduce themselves. Well, now we do. Tell us about yourself -- your fantasy football history, your dog, your collection of pro athletes' toenail clippings, whatever.

Feel free to comment on others' posts, but keep it positive (we'll have a quick deletion trigger in this thread). Thanks!
How about you too, Jules?

As for me - the avatar should give away the Canuckistan heritage. Born and raised, for the most part. Am now living just outside of, and working in the heart of, NYC. Lawyer by day, lawyer by night (sigh). For some reason when I was a kid I was always drawn to who the league leaders were in any given stat categories in virtually every, hoping that guys on the teams I rooted for (Jays, Leafs, Raiders - it was a Bo thing) were at the top of the list, and if not, somewhere on it. I could tell you who was leading the league in rushing, passing, receiving and just about any other category by midweek when they were published in the sports section of the Star or the Sun.

Funny enough, the dive into fantasy football didn't happen until about 6 years ago, but in the past 2, since getting involved in dyno, it has consumed much of my non-work and family life (and often disrupts both).

pjh0736
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby pjh0736 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:52 pm

I'll give it a go...

Found this forum 2 years ago after I joined a redraft turned dynasty league, which i ended up winning the whole thing, and then it folded before the season started last year, haha. I have been playing fantasy football for 18 years now, all redraft until I found dynasty 2 years ago. From a small town in Wisconsin, not to far from Green Bay, but not a Packers fan, Steelers are my team. Avid football card and just sport memorabilia in general collector
TM1 12tmPPR 1QB, 2RB ,3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1DEF
QB Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston

RB Saquon Barkley, James Conner, Joe Mixon, Chris Carson, Javonte Williams, Latavius Murray, DeeJay Dallas, Gerrid Doaks, Benny Snell

WR Davante Adams, Julio Jones, Tyler Boyd, Chris Godwin, Anthony Miller, Nelson Agholor, Robby Anderson, Zach Pascal, Rondale Moore, Jaelon Darden,

TE: Dallas Goedert, Austin Hooper, Dawson Knox

D 49ers,Ravens

Taxi Squad
Parris Campbell, Cornell Powell

Picks: 22 2nd, 22 3rd, 22 4th

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm a professional brewer of 16 years in the beautiful town of Homer, Alaska. If your ever in town pop by the brewery to say hey and I'll buy you a pint. I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years and dynasty for the last 12 years now. By now I've probably made every mistake in the book. I consider myself an avid student of the game of football. I watch over 300 NFL games a year and countless hours of college game tape in the offseason; so I guess I'm a bit of a "film guy". There's always a story behind the stats and I don't like buying anything sight unseen. Metrics are definitely part of the story but I like to see if a guy can actually play the game of football. I'll take a Jarvis Landry over a Tavon Austin any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Valhalla
Legend
Legend

Postby Valhalla » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:32 am

Long time lurker, first year contributor (sorry, Coogan.....). Been playing ffb for ~20 years, dynasty for 15 I think. I used to post at pigskin addiction until they sold their site and it collapsed (I think). Found this site afterwards I think. Maybe something else was in there in between. I'm very set in my opinions but have always enjoyed reading the forums for insight into perceived values. I used to play in 5-6 leagues, but have dropped down to just the one in my sig. Family and friends league and that and discussion here and with my league is enough fantasy for me at this point.
Last edited by Valhalla on Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bad News Barrett
MVP
MVP

Postby Bad News Barrett » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:31 am

Hottoddies wrote:I'm a professional brewer of 16 years in the beautiful town of Homer, Alaska. If your ever in town pop by the brewery to say hey and I'll buy you a pint. I've been playing fantasy football for 20 years and dynasty for the last 12 years now. By now I've probably made every mistake in the book. I consider myself an avid student of the game of football. I watch over 300 NFL games a year and countless hours of college game tape in the offseason; so I guess I'm a bit of a "film guy". There's always a story behind the stats and I don't like buying anything sight unseen. Metrics are definitely part of the story but I like to see if a guy can actually play the game of football. I'll take a Jarvis Landry over a Tavon Austin any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
I've always wanted to visit Alaska - I might take you up on that offer some day

Im from Buffalo NY. Diehard Bills fan, longtime season ticket holder. Maybe diehard is going too far, because I've started to really sour on this team over the last few years. At least I used to be.

I've been playing dynasty for a while now, redraft even longer. I'm in a league that is going on its 32nd year I believe, which is older than I am. I run a hometown league, it's kind of falling apart because the other guys just don't care about it much so it makes it very easy for me to win. (I've won 4 out of 5 years I believe). I have another IDP league I'm very involved in, I think a couple league mates might be on here, but not sure who they are. Just joined a league Zfifelski started, 32 team IDP. Joined another salary cap league with a few current forum members (not sure I'm a fan of it, but giving it a shot). Was supposed to join Coogans league, but I think he is afraid of getting some real competition in that league.
Finally on Twitter @dynastybarrett

"I'm afraid I've got some bad news"

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:30 pm

My name is Rob and it's been 11 days since my last...wait...

I joined up about three years ago and have learned a lot since then. Been part of some crazy discussions and enjoyed every minute of it. I've played FF since the late 90s and started playing dynasty about 5 or 6 years ago. Been hooked on dynasty since then.

I'm 30 years old, married with two kids. Live in the beautiful state of NJ but trying like hell to get out. TRYING LIKE HELL! Currently work in the photovoltaic field installing PV systems. It's decent money and I like being outside. Former corrections and law enforcement, as well as plumbing/hvac mechanic and a librarian back in the old days. Done a little bit of this and a little bit of that...but just haven't found something that I truly enjoy.

Met my wife at THE Virginia Commonwealth University where I graduated with a bachelors degree in criminal justice. Never cared about college basketball until going here.

Enjoy cooking, home brewing beer, watching The Walking Dead, and hanging out with family. Scouting and researching football players is in there as well, as that takes up a lot of my downtime when I'm at work.

Good to see so many new faces and old faces alike.

Also, Vikings fan through and through.

Titus Young's Lawyer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Titus Young's Lawyer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello ya'll, I go by Deano and I like to party. I have 7 years of dynasty experience and I had the privilege of finishing last in the inaugural year of the DLF HOF league. My biggest contribution to the DLF forum has been an early Jerick McKinnon thread. In my civilian life I have a Master's in Social Work degree and currently work as a therapist in a substance abuse agency. In case anyone is wondering I think the NFL's current abstinence-only substance abuse policy is punitive and outdated, it hurts players instead of helping them. That being said, I stay away from players in the substance program because it is only common sense that they will continue to have substance problems while suspended.

Fun Fact: I chose the name Titus Young's Lawyer before he was arrested for beating up his lawyer.

Dr.Graffin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Dr.Graffin » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:48 am

I lurked here for about 1-2 years before joining and I'm glad I did (joined, not the lurking). I hate PPR. I love trading and it's probably my favorite part of all fantasy sports. Screen name is an old name I still use related to Bad Religion.

Started fantasy in HS. 8 person league, live draft and I still remember my first two picks (8th pick/snake) were D. Marino S. Sharpe. A buddy would read the paper on Monday/Tues and compile the stats. Did that for a couple of years, stopped playing (due to college life and not everyone had internet back then, plus if you did it sucked and it was dial up) until about 03/04 (whenever Jamal Lewis got out prison) and got back into the game with redraft leagues. I've been consistently active since that time and my obsession is only increasing.

Those slowly grew each year until I got sick of them and figured that wasn't enough, plus the challenge of free leagues is only so rewarding. Joined a long standing keeper league with a buddy 4 years ago and loved that, but didn't like that it was only active Aug through Dec. Started to take a good look at dynasty and here we are. Last year, answered an ad in the help wanted section to join my first official dynasty league (orphan). Met some people in that league and created a startup.

Wanted to be part of a startup last year so I created my own (team in sig) and that's been an absolute obsession since that started and went very well all things considered. We're entering our second year with all members paid up completely for the next 2 years. So I feel very good about the future of that league. Planning to join another similar startup league if I can find one with a similar setup to the one I'm in currently.

Love this website, its responsiveness, and the perspective it provides!
12 Team Non-PPR, 6pt TDs-22' R/U, 23' R/U
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 2Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: P. Mahomes, R. Tannehill
RB: D. Achane, D. Henry, J. Mixon, A. Ekeler, M. Sanders
WR: T. Hill, D. Smith, D. J. Moore, D. Samuel, T. Higgins, D. Hopkins, O. Beckham, J. Metchie
TE: T. Kelce, C. Kmet, H. Henry, M. Gesicki
K: J. Tucker
D/ST: Baltimore, Jacksonville
2024 Picks: 4.9

12 Team .5 PPR, 6pt TDs
1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 3Flex (W/R/T), 1K, 1DST
QB: J. Herbert, J. Love
RB: S. Barkley, J. Cook, I. Pacheco, Br. Robinson, D. Pierce, D. Singletary
WR: D. J. Moore, T. Higgins, J. Waddle, Z. Flowers, C. Watson, J. Downs, J. Dotson, R. Shaheed
TE: T. McBride, H. Henry, M. Gesicki, C. Okonkwo
K: T. Bass
D/ST: Jacksonville, Indianapolis
2024 Picks: 2.7, 3.2, 4.11

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:26 am

I've been playing FF since '98. I've been playing with the same local group of buddies/acquaintances since about 2004, mostly redraft, but they had a keeper league as well. When they converted it to full dynasty, some owners left and I took over one of the orphans. I joined here that same day. Two offseasons ago, we added a devy draft and that made me spend a lot more time here, and that's when I started contributing more.

Last offseason, I was pumped to get in on the DLF Premium League, and I ended up winning the inaugural season, which was pretty cool.

I'm a network engineer by trade, I grew up in Massachusetts and currently live in Rhode Island. I've been a hardcore Pats fan since I was 5 years old, which coincided nicely with them getting annihilated in SB XX.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:53 am

I've been playing fantasy football since high school, so mid '00s. My first title came in 2008, when I reached for rookie Chris Johnson in the early rounds of my keeper league.

I started playing dynasty while I was supposed to be studying for the bar in 2010. I was pretty awful for the first few years, and I wasn't above average until I joined these forums in 2013. I earned a spot into the 2013 DLF Podcast Listener League, where I claimed the title in Y1 (despite trading up to draft Danny Amendola over Josh Gordon). In 2014, I started to gain a reputation in the forums, and in early 2015 I joined DLF as a writer.

I'm one of the few attorneys who loves his job. I have a wife and two kids (one adopted through Foster care -- hit me up if you ever want to chat about that process), and I'm a happily mediocre tennis player.

bruiser
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby bruiser » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:43 pm

I'm an electrician/welder at refineries, steel mills, and petroleum pipelines. I studied at Purdue where my only A grade was in calculus. I have just enough experience using Excel to be dangerous in startup auctions and salary-weighted trades. Drew Brees is my all-time favorite player having been at Purdue during his record-setting career.

I found out about value-based drafting when my redraft league started using an annual auction in 2011. VBD has been my cornerstone of success in startup auctions and trade valuations. Unfortunately, I am not a very good teacher of my method, and I can understand Ben Hogan's famous advice to those that asked his secret to success: "It's in the dirt; you have to dig it out for yourself." I was born into a golf family. I've all but given up on golf since having my five young kids.

Dynasty took me by storm since joining a 16-team salary/contract startup in 2014. Won the 'ship that 1st year and joined DLF to learn more about what I'd been missing out on for so long.
Just a guy who loves fantasy football - specifically defense.