Rookie QB Rankings

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Rookie QB Rankings

Postby pierson242 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:22 pm

I'm sure this is posted elsewhere but just to get this section some action, lets hear it! What is your rookie QB rankings? Feel free to add comments as to why you ranked the way you did!

Here is my top 5 off of my head!

1. Josh Rosen
2. Baker Mayfield
3. Sam Darnold
4. Josh Allen
5. Lamar Jackson
Devy Writer and Ranker for DLF

Follow me on Twitter @PiersonFF

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Rookie QB Rankings

Postby ArrylT » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 pm

1. Sam Darnold
2. Josh Rosen
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Josh Allen
5. Lamar Jackson

Darnold mainly because I am a USC fan. 8-)
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm

1. Sam Darnold
2. Josh Allen
3. Baker Mayfield
4. Josh Rosen
5. Lamar Jackson

I love Darnold then the rest I’m not sure about. Rosen looks the part but just seems soft as a pillow.

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:26 pm

1. Mayfield
2. Jackson
3. Rosen
4. Darnold
5. Rudolph

I really don't understand how you could have Allen above Jackson
Superflex tight-end premium team:
Qb: Kyler Murray, Dak Presscott, Sam Darnold,
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,
Te: TJ Hockensen, Gesicki, Hurst

1 2020 first, 1 2020 2nd, 1 2020 3rd, 1 2020 4th

Devy superflex
Qb: Cousins, Prescott, Lamar Jackson
Rb: Marlon Mack, Tevin Coleman, Rex Burkhead,, Mcguire, Edwards
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway
Te: David Njoku, O.J. Howard, Mark Andrews,

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:31 pm

benpickering44 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:26 pm 1. Mayfield
2. Jackson
3. Rosen
4. Darnold
5. Rudolph

Jackson doesn’t have many traits that look nfl easy. He looks more like a runner than a thrower. Allen has a strong arm and more of a passer first. Jackson could very easily bust. Curious what makes you so high on Jackson

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:21 pm

2. Jackson
3. Rosen
4. Darnold
5. Rudolph

Do yourself a favor and watch Jackson in interviews, there is more to being an nfl qb than athletic ability.

Eagles4life
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Eagles4life » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:19 pm

1) Mayfield
2) Darnold
3) Jackson
4) Rosen
5) Allen

Darnold/Jackson/Rosen are all very close in my 2nd tier with Mayfield being my clear cut #1

I have Mayfield as my #1 by a wide margin, he's led college for two straight years in QBR, two straight of 70%+ completion percentage and has had two straight seasons of 11+ yds/att. He's just been so efficient while not turning the ball over against top tier teams (500 pass attempts with 14 INTs and 83 TDS!! :shock: )

Darnold has all the tools (good arm, athletic enough and has good anticipation) but I think he'll be the youngest QB in NFL history should he start next year?? so he'll have some growing pains. I feel like he has the safest floor of the top 5 though

I like Jackson solely from the perspective he'll terrify defenses with his running ability, he should dismantle man coverage. I think he has a good enough arm to be productive enough at the NFL level. Because of his running ability I think he can keep defenses honest more times than not and give him more time in the pocket to make accurate throws.

Rosen has had a poor record against the Pac 12 (0-2 vs USC and 0-3 vs Stanford & 0-1 in his lone bowl game), prone to turnovers and injuries.

Allen obviously has the strongest arm of the class but his poor accuracy (never had a completion % higher than 57% in his two years as a starter) concerns the hell out of me, when you factor in his poor accuracy and slow mental processing. But he'll be drafted higher than he should because some organization thinks they'll be able to work with him on his progressions and accuracy issues.

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Postby Easy Breesy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 pm

1. Mayfield
2a. Rosen
2b. Darnold
3. Jackson
4. Allen
5. Rudolph

I really like Lamar but I think he needs to either sit for a year or learn under a staff that has had success with qbs that have similar skill sets to his.
Mayfield IMO is the best player by far, plays with a chip on his shoulder and always is trying to prove something.
Rosen and Darnold both look good and have made plays throughout college but still a little raw but definitely can and hopefully will become legit studs.
Allen looks to be raw and less skilled but has good physical measurements I think he is a little overrated but who knows maybe going to Pittsburgh can help him learn under Big Ben.
Last is Rudolph I really just have him at the end because I read a couple of articles that say he might be viewed as backup rather than a long-term starter, has anyone else seen this type of report on Rudolph?
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Nanananananana wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:21 pm
2. Jackson
3. Rosen
4. Darnold
5. Rudolph

Do yourself a favor and watch Jackson in interviews, there is more to being an nfl qb than athletic ability.
So you have Josh Allen at #2 because he is good in interviews. got it.
Rb: Derrick Henry, Latavius Murray, Darrell Henderson, Dexter Williams, Brian Hill
Wr: Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Courtland Sutton, DK Metcalf, AJ Brown, Andy Isabella, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Tre'Quan Smith, Daesean Hamilton, Josh Reynolds, Trey Quin, Snead,

Devy superflex
Wr: Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Kenny Golladay, Will Fuller, Tre'quan Smith, John Brown, Carlos Henderson, Josh Malone, Ryan Switzer, Taywan Taylor, Leonte Carroo, Antonio Callaway

devy: Deondre Francois, Cam Akers, Bryce Love, Myles Gaskin, Sewo Olonilua, Jalen Reagor, Peoples-Jones, Noah Fant

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm

pierson242 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:31 pm
2. Jackson
3. Rosen
4. Darnold
5. Rudolph

Jackson doesn’t have many traits that look nfl easy. He looks more like a runner than a thrower. Allen has a strong arm and more of a passer first. Jackson could very easily bust. Curious what makes you so high on Jackson
Because he is the most explosive and athletic qb since Michael Vick.

You say Allen is more a passer first yet Jackson had a much higher completion %, more touchdowns, and more yards. And that isn't even involving his rushing stats and ability.

There are almost no successful qb's that had a completion % under 55.

Devy superflex

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

benpickering44 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:57 pm
2. Jackson
3. Rosen
4. Darnold
5. Rudolph

You say Allen is more a passer first yet Jackson had a much higher completion %, more touchdowns, and more yards. And that isn't even involving his rushing stats and ability.

The reports that are already headlined "Jackson a better fit at WR" is what worries me. Im not doubting his athleticism but ive never thought it would translate well to the NFL. Braxton Miller, RG3, etc

They also shared the same completion %, and ill agree Jackson had more yards and TDs but he also had nearly 150 more pass attempts. Numbers are not everything.

Also your comparing 2017. In 2016 Allen had nearly identical yards and TDs as Jackson, he has a bad 2017, but the Talent is still there.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm not going to reveal my actually rankings unfortunately since basically my whole Superflex league was recruited on DLF..

With that said though - this is the most interesting rookie QB class that I can remember. There is literally a possibility we could see up to 5 or 6 drafted in the first round (with 4 being a near lock).

I will say that historically speaking - QBs that are more athletes than quarterbacks very rarely have sustained success in the NFL; and I am cautious / not too interested in those guys.

bsp27
Role Player
Role Player

Postby bsp27 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 pm

pierson242 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

The reports that are already headlined "Jackson a better fit at WR" is what worries me. Im not doubting his athleticism but ive never thought it would translate well to the NFL. Braxton Miller, RG3, etc

They also shared the same completion %, and ill agree Jackson had more yards and TDs but he also had nearly 150 more pass attempts. Numbers are not everything.

Also your comparing 2017. In 2016 Allen had nearly identical yards and TDs as Jackson, he has a bad 2017, but the Talent is still there.
i'm not sure why your trusting Bill Polian and his ridiculous opinions, but here are there passing stats side by side

Jackson

Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2016 Louisville ACC SO QB 13 230 409 56.2 3543 8.7 9.1 30 9 148.8
*2017 Louisville ACC JR QB 13 254 430 59.1 3660 8.5 8.7 27 10 146.6

Allen

Passing
*2016 Wyoming MWC SO QB 14 209 373 56.0 3203 8.6 8.3 28 15 144.9
*2017 Wyoming MWC JR QB 11 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 6.9 16 6 127.8

Jackson is clearly the better passer, and he improved every single year as a passer, while Allen regressed in 2017. Allen has a somewhat high ceiling, but it isn't anywhere close to Jackson's ceiling.

arguments that he should switch to wr are laughable.

Devy superflex

pierson242
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby pierson242 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 pm

benpickering44 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 pm
pierson242 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:27 pm

i'm not sure why your trusting Bill Polian and his ridiculous opinions, but here are there passing stats side by side

Jackson

*2016 Louisville ACC SO QB 13 230 409 56.2 3543 8.7 9.1 30 9 148.8
*2017 Louisville ACC JR QB 13 254 430 59.1 3660 8.5 8.7 27 10 146.6

Allen

Passing
*2016 Wyoming MWC SO QB 14 209 373 56.0 3203 8.6 8.3 28 15 144.9
*2017 Wyoming MWC JR QB 11 152 270 56.3 1812 6.7 6.9 16 6 127.8

Jackson is clearly the better passer, and he improved every single year as a passer, while Allen regressed in 2017. Allen has a somewhat high ceiling, but it isn't anywhere close to Jackson's ceiling.

arguments that he should switch to wr are laughable.
Again there’s more to football than numbers on paper. Nothing I say will change your mind. But hey agree to disagree it’s good to have this section get action!

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm

In my 2QB, 3 teams hold 6/10 1st RD picks and here is the QB situation:

- Me: Rivers, Goff, Trubisky....I will probably take a QB with 1 of my picks, 1.01-1.04 lottery + 1.06. If I was unfortunate enough to lottery the 1.04 I could be tempted if I don't like who's there.

- Player 2: Cam/Winston....just had Palmer retire....he has 1.01-1.04 + 1.07

- Player 3: Ben/Cousins/Mahomes, although not a pressing need I could see him take a QB with one or both of his picks, he has 1.09 + 1.10

There's also the guy at 1.05 who had Dalvin Cook and Kareem Hunt this year and watched his team go to bleep with Rodgers, Tannehill/Cutler, Dalton....he too is probably in the market.

ALL IN ALL, TL;DR....I could easily see a scenario in my 2QB draft where 4 QBs could go Round 1....and after the 1st one goes, QBs will start going like hotcakes.