Rookie QB Rankings

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Re: Rookie QB Rankings

Postby Spinkso » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 am

Dynos wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:49 am for me it's

mayfield
jackson
darnold
rosen
allen
rudolph

i hope baker fall a little bit and a team like the saints, chargers trade up to get him

or he gets drafted by broncos!
This is similar to mine; but for fantasy purposes give me Jackson at 1 IF he's in a system that will let him be himself. As I get older I realize that I'm surrounded by people much younger than I that may not remember what a cheat code Mike Vick was early on. Jackson and Allen's arms are similar to me, but we haven't seen a player like Jackson at the QB position since Mike Vick coming out of Va Tech.

My long time league has been doing Superflex for a while, and every league is unique unto itself. I've built up some depth at my QB position and have solid enough starters. If everything hits right, Lamar Jackson is the no.1 point scorer. I don't see any other QB's having that ceiling. With my roster setup I'm swinging for the fences.

Camperhead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Camperhead » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:23 am

hjernazian wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 pm
Camperhead wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am Honestly, "path to immediate playing time" is a bit of a red flag for me. Last year, I spent picks 8 and 10 on Kizer and Mahomes (felt they had the most upside of all the QBs in the class). One is now primed to take the next step in his development, while the other is already barely rosterable.

As was pointed out earlier, a lot of the teams supposedly in the market for a QB appear to have an adequate bridge in place, but if the Giants, Saints, Steelers, or Chargers spend a first-round pick on a QB, that QB is moving up my board.
Don't blame Kizer for the Browns or the NFL's transparent lack of ability to develop QBs. They have no idea what they are doing here. Take a look at any of the recent Matt Waldman pods on dynasty blueprint, DLF podcast, and dynasty nerds. He talks about it in detail, along with coverage in his RSP (well worth the read).

As for Mahomes and Kizer, I believe the buzz last year that the player to make the best immediate impact was Watson, and best long-term was Mahomes. The former ended up being true, and I drafted Watson accordingly for that reason. I'm just hoping the latter is true, as I have since then flipped Watson for Dalvin Cook and a first rounder, and acquired Mahomes for a mid-second.

Also, if we are playing the long-term game, you should be very happy that Mahomes wasn't thrust to the wolves year one, as most QBs that are asked to do this... flop. Again, NFL has no idea how to develop QBs. In the guy(s) I will be drafting this year, I would be ecstatic to see them sit for a year. If I'm looking for immediate impact, I trade for a guy like Alex Smith or Drew Brees (both have great value right now for varying reasons) and taking the QB that sits behind Drew Brees or Tom Brady.
I don't blame Kizer one bit. My point was that I wish he, like Mahomes, had been able to sit and learn for at least one season. But Hue and the Browns completely undermined his development. Kizer's better off where he is now, but where he is now -- coupled with our league's keeper rules (we cut down to 15 each August a few weeks prior to our rookie/free agent draft) -- means that I'm going to have a hard time justifying a roster spot for him just one year after spending the 8th overall pick to acquire him.

I don't track all that Waldman does, but I've been an RSP subscriber for many years now. I've read his takes on the NFL's problems with QB development. I may be guilty of putting too much stock in Waldman, but his assessments played a huge part in my decision to target Kizer and Mahomes in last year's draft (and my late-season waiver add of Chad Kelly).

Regarding Watson, I did consider him the safest of last year's top four QBs, but felt he had a lower ceiling than Kizer and Mahomes (I had no interest in Trubisky). I was further wary of Watson due to Bill O'Brien's three-year track record of QB development.
10-Team Superflex League, 25 rosters spots
ROSTERS CUT TO 15 MID-AUGUST
ROOKIE/FREE AGENT DRAFT LATE AUGUST

Lineup requirements: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 Def, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
TD=6, TDP=4, 15 yds rush/rec=1, 35 yds pass=1, 2 rec=1

QB - Mahomes, Wilson, Bridgewater, Hurts, Heinicke, Eason
RB - Kamara, Chubb, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Dillon
WR/TE - Hopkins, Godwin, A.J. Brown, Sutton, Lamb, Harry, A.J. Green, B.Edwards, P.Williams, G.Davis
K* - Tucker, Prater
DT* - Ravens, Buccaneers
* two of each required per league rules

LEAGUE CHAMPS 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Spinkso wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:46 am

mayfield
jackson
darnold
rosen
allen
rudolph

i hope baker fall a little bit and a team like the saints, chargers trade up to get him

This is similar to mine; but for fantasy purposes give me Jackson at 1 IF he's in a system that will let him be himself. As I get older I realize that I'm surrounded by people much younger than I that may not remember what a cheat code Mike Vick was early on. Jackson and Allen's arms are similar to me, but we haven't seen a player like Jackson at the QB position since Mike Vick coming out of Va Tech.

My long time league has been doing Superflex for a while, and every league is unique unto itself. I've built up some depth at my QB position and have solid enough starters. If everything hits right, Lamar Jackson is the no.1 point scorer. I don't see any other QB's having that ceiling. With my roster setup I'm swinging for the fences.
i agree with you, if lamar goes in a good situation he's no doubt the no.1 qb.

If it happens would you think about taking him at 1.2 over guice?
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:56 pm

Dynos wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 pm

mayfield
jackson
darnold
rosen
allen
rudolph

Guice isn't my 2nd running back at this moment. RBscout will have rankings up shortly after the draft, but I don't believe either of us have him at 1.2.
I think every league, especially in a superflex is unique to itself, but I'd have absolutely zero issue with Lamar Jackson at 1.2 in that setup.

Dynos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Dynos » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Spinkso wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:56 pm
Dynos wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:26 pm

Guice isn't my 2nd running back at this moment. RBscout will have rankings up shortly after the draft, but I don't believe either of us have him at 1.2.
I think every league, especially in a superflex is unique to itself, but I'd have absolutely zero issue with Lamar Jackson at 1.2 in that setup.
Why guice isn't your no.2?
2019 Champion! 2022 Champion!

Team 1: Superflex, Start 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 flex WR/TE,1 Sflex

QB:P. Mahomes, R.Tannehill, J.Hurts
RB: E.Elliott,James Robinson, Chris Carson, L.Fournette, T.Etienne , Tony Pollard,hassan haskins,donta foreman, jaylen warren
WR: Justin Jefferson A.J Brown, M.Thomas, Marquise Brown, T.Lockett, skyy moore, romeo doubs, alec pierce Donovan Peoples-Jones, J.Palmer
TE: kyle pitts, juwan johnson,mckitty

2021 Champion!
Team 2: Superflex, Start 1Qb, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex Wr/TE. 1 SFlex, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE
QB: J.Herbert, Z.Wilson, K.Cousins, K.Pickett,K.Mond
RB: J.Taylor, JK Dobbins, N.Harris, N.Hines, G.Edwards, James Cook, J.Ford, Dameon Pierce, P.Strong, D.Foreman (Jermaine Burton Devy)
WR: J.Chase,Garett Wilson , B.Aiyuk, C.Sutton, R.Bateman, G.Davis, M.Hardman,J.Palmer,
TE: D.Waller R.Tonyan, B.Jordan, Cameron Brate, Cade Otton, G.Everett