How many QBS to roster...

Given the increase in popularity for SF and 2QB leagues, this forum is intended for topics relating to these formats.
Accumen
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

How many QBS to roster...

Postby Accumen » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:00 pm

I have 2 young legitimate starting qbs, albeit one is unproven, in Mariota and Mahomes. In this situation, with multiple 1st, should another qb be drafted this year or should the focus be on skill positions?

What are peoples strategies here?
Team A:
12 team, SF, ppr, yr. 1/complete rebuild
Mariota, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson, Hill
Saquon, McCaffery, Hunt, Kerryon Johnson, Drake
C. Davis, W. Fuller, Funchess, Sutton, M. Williams, R. Anderson, D. Pettis, DJ Chark, J. Washington, J'Mon Moore, Jaron Brown
Gesicki, Seals-Jones, Herndon, Higbee, Vannett
Taxi: C. Edmonds, Warren, Ito Smith, M. Andrews, J. Moore, Z. Jones

Team B:
12 team, 1qb, ppr, yr. 2
Big Ben, Prescott, T. Taylor, Mayfield
Kamara, Howard, Ajayi, C. Clement, Drake, Royce Freeman, McGuire
M. Thomas, Landry, Fitz, C. Davis, J. Washington, M. Wallace, Bourne
Ertz, Seals-Jones
Jake Elliot
T.j. Watt, Keanu Neal
2018 Picks: 1.06, 2.06, 2.08, 3.06, 3.09, 3.10

Team C:
12 team, SF, .5ppc, ppr, TE prem., Startup
Watson, Flacco, Jackson, McCarron
Cmc, Guice, Carson, Penny, Kerryon, Ronald Jones, Perine, Samuels, B. Scott
Agholor, S. Shepard, Gollady, Ridley, J'mon Moore, Callaway, Mo. Harris, D. Robinson
E. Dickson, Seals-Jones, G. Everett, Herndon

Easy Breesy
Captain
Captain

Re: How many QBS to roster...

Postby Easy Breesy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:07 pm

Aim for a qb that you like with the 1.07. If there is someone that doesn't appeal to you take best an available at 1.09. Go skill at 1.01 obviously
16 team Tiered PPR league, TE Premium, 52 man roster, 2 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1W/R, 1TE/W, Full IDP
QB- Russ, Justin Herbert
RB- Antonio Gibson Ty Johnson, David Johnson Lat Murray
WR- Davante Adams, Allen Robinson, DJ Moore, Cordarelle Patterson,
TE- Hockeson, , Jonnu Smith, Firkser, Logan Thomas

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:40 pm

I like to have at least 3 starters.

And then 2-3 other guys I like, whether stashes, developmental, handcuffs or value pickups.

Blueboy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Blueboy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm

I like to have two guys I think are elite, or at least QB1. Then I want two or three guys behind that who are cheap, but that I think will be starting (e.g. Tannehill, Bortles, Tyrod). As you can see by my sigs, I don't always get what I want... :boohoo:

12-team SF, PPR, TE premium, 0.25 PPCarry
1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1SF 4Flex
QB: Mahomes, Fields, Love
RB: Bijan, ETN, Pollard, Achane, Herbert
WR: Kupp, Hill, Metcalf, Ridley, Jeudy, D.J. M, Burks, Hollywood, Wan'Dale
TE: Kyle Pitts, Goedert

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:57 pm

In a superflex, you pretty much have to have two legit starting QBs minimum. This way they can hopefully cover each others bye weeks (But you would still need a solid QB or skilled player to flex into that superflex spot). Also it’s good to have another starting QB that you can use if you have injuries. And then a prospect or two is nice to develop. If you have the room, then I have no problem rostering 5+ QBs, as long as it’s not at the expense of other skill positions.

In my 16 team superflex, I have Wentz and Bortles as my starters, with Bridgewater (hopefully) going to get a chance to start somewhere next year. I also have the 1.08 that I would have no problem targeting a rookie QB. Also, during the season I rostered backups like Geno Smith and Colt Mccoy...neither did anything for me tho.

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm

I'm not sure you can have too many to be honest. I want 2 QB1's, maybe 3 and another 2-3 QB2's (flacco, tanny, dalton, etc.). At the very least they are valued trade bait if you need to plug gaps at other positions during the season. The way I look at it is that qbs hold their value and it never hurts to have them available as currency if necessary.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:24 pm

Yeah basically treat QB like you would RB or WR - it never hurts to have more starters / studs at the position - which is basically part of the purpose of Superflex / 2 QB - to treat QB like the other positions rather than the bastard cousin.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:26 am

I guess it also depends on league size. My superflex and 2QB leagues are 16 teamer, so it’s harder to have multiple QB1s plus additional starter QBs. In 10 team leagues, you could easily have 3 or 4 starting QBs rostered plus your developmental guys.

But I agree. You can never have enough.

It also annoys me when leagues have positional limits on QBs in these types of leagues.

Servo
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Servo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:33 am

In my Superflex I drafted Mariota (early rounds), Stafford (middle rounds) and Flacco (late rounds) in our initial draft. As time progressed I picked up Hundley and drafted Mahomes when he fell to me.

In these leagues, I don't think it can be overstated how you need to have at least 3 QBs IMO, Stafford had a really good season but if he's injured and you're left with starting a meh Mariota or awful Flacco all season, you could be in trouble.

And QBs are a huge bargaining chip because you're going to have those league mates who have to scramble to pick up Keenum, Hoyer, Savage, etc. and you'd be lucky for those guys to put up game-changing points on a regular basis.

TheChicken
Captain
Captain

Postby TheChicken » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:58 am

My teams have 24% 31% & 32% of roster spots taken up by QBs ..... One team currently has zero starting QBs and one of them 'could' have 5 starting QBs next year, yet that team was scrabbling around for a QB last season due to injuries. The more you roster the luckier you get, but you still have to be lucky.
99 problems but your 10 team league ain't one!

drbuttermaker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby drbuttermaker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 pm

wingnutty wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm I'm not sure you can have too many to be honest. I want 2 QB1's, maybe 3 and another 2-3 QB2's (flacco, tanny, dalton, etc.). At the very least they are valued trade bait if you need to plug gaps at other positions during the season. The way I look at it is that qbs hold their value and it never hurts to have them available as currency if necessary.
This is solid advice.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:21 pm

3 to 4 minimum and more if you can. Easily the most important pain in this format. Two isn't nearly enough.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Thedude30
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Thedude30 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 pm

I'm in two Superflex leagues, in one I roster four and in the other I roster two. In the league I roster two I'm lucking enough to have Wentz and Wilson (I received an offer for Mahomes too good to pass up), but I'm still super nervous about only having two so i'll be either looking to draft one or closely scouring the waiver wire when the time comes for the leftover dregs.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:03 am

drbuttermaker wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 pm
wingnutty wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm I'm not sure you can have too many to be honest. I want 2 QB1's, maybe 3 and another 2-3 QB2's (flacco, tanny, dalton, etc.). At the very least they are valued trade bait if you need to plug gaps at other positions during the season. The way I look at it is that qbs hold their value and it never hurts to have them available as currency if necessary.
This is solid advice.
This is silly advice. Rostering 5 starting QBs in a superflex either means your league is a joke, or you've sacrificed way too much RB/WR/TE value in order to have multiple QBs you can't start.

Personally I like to keep it at 3 starters, plus at least one good prospect (like Garoppolo, McCarron, Hundley last year) and several pure development guys. If you get above that, hit the trade market.

wingnutty
Starter
Starter

Postby wingnutty » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:57 am

Personally I like to keep it at 3 starters, plus at least one good prospect (like Garoppolo, McCarron, Hundley last year) and several pure development guys. If you get above that, hit the trade market.
Exactly, use the QB's as trade bait later on. QBs hold their value whereas rb's can fluctuate quite a bit. I feel like you can grab some extra low-end QBs and use them to trade for RB's who pop during the season. This would be instead of using the draft capitol on a bunch of RBs who are random dart throws, use them on QBs who will maintain value so that you can buy the lower-upside rb's who hit during the season.

Does that make sense? I am just starting to implement this strategy by picking up guys like Dalton, flacco, tanny, etc for super cheap and planning on selling them when I can to improve my roster. Maybe I sell them this year, or next, but it is a pretty good bet that their value isn't going to go down to much in the next few years.