Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
fugoondo
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

Postby fugoondo » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:01 pm

Hes ranked as a top 5 overall Dev Prospect in the DLF Rankings.

Theres only a couple of YouTube clips on the kid, what you guys have on him??

teambadknees
Starter
Starter

Re: Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

Postby teambadknees » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:51 pm

Nick Whalen is the big Corey Davis advocate on the DLF staff. I'd recommend you take a look into his devy report: https://thejuiceoffootball.wordpress.co ... vy-report/ It is a good source if you are in a devy league or like getting a head start on rookie scouting. He's a big reason why the staff has Davis ranked so high.

Jon Moore at Rotoviz is also a big Corey Davis fan: http://rotoviz.com/2014/12/corey-davis- ... underkind/

Davis is an excellent route runner with plus size for a small school prospect. He is a very accomplished receiver at a very young age too so the metric crowd is sure to like him. I'm in a league that includes devys in their rookie draft and I took him at 2.03. If you search for him in ESPN and click videos there are some clips of him there if you want to take a look for yourself.

Hope that helps!
The Bad Knees 12 team PPR TE Premium
QB: k Cousins, B Osweiler, R Wilson
RB: Clement*, J Connor*, J Crockett, M Jones, D Lewis, B Oliver, D Robinson, L Taliaferro, C Thompson, Z Zenner
WR: T Boyd*, John Brown, Corey Davis*, J Edleman, D Hopkins, J Janis, Perriman, R Randle, Albert Wilson
TE: C Gillmore, OJ Howard*,V McDonald, M Pruitt, J Reed, W Tye

The Waterboy 12 team PPR, Defensive big play
2014 Runner-Up 2015 Champs
QB: K Cousins, M Ryan
RB: D Cobb, M Jones, D Lewis, R Matthews, D Murray,J Randle, T Rawls, B Sankey, S Ware, J White, D Woodhead, Z Zenner
WR: D Adams, K Allen, DGB, D Bryant, A Cooper, D Thomas
TE: E Ebron, H Miller, A Sefarian-Jenkins
DL: J Casey, G Hardy, JPP, S Tuitt, O Vernon
LB: S Anthony, J Collins, J Freeman, J Hicks, M Kendricks, R Shazier, Telvin Smith
DB: M Barron, D Lowery, TJ McDonald, H Smith

fugoondo
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby fugoondo » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:14 am

teambadknees wrote:Nick Whalen is the big Corey Davis advocate on the DLF staff. I'd recommend you take a look into his devy report: https://thejuiceoffootball.wordpress.co ... vy-report/ It is a good source if you are in a devy league or like getting a head start on rookie scouting. He's a big reason why the staff has Davis ranked so high.

Jon Moore at Rotoviz is also a big Corey Davis fan: http://rotoviz.com/2014/12/corey-davis- ... underkind/

Davis is an excellent route runner with plus size for a small school prospect. He is a very accomplished receiver at a very young age too so the metric crowd is sure to like him. I'm in a league that includes devys in their rookie draft and I took him at 2.03. If you search for him in ESPN and click videos there are some clips of him there if you want to take a look for yourself.

Hope that helps!
U da man! Thankssssss

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm surprised how quiet the front is on this fella. He's neck and neck with Treadwell for me as the top WR in this class at this point.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yooperbacker » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:44 am

My biggest concern about Corey Davis (based solely off of the EMU and MSU tape) is his lack of physicality at the catch point. Excellent route runner, but dbs close quick on him because of lack of burst. Amari Cooper has a lot more juice in his legs so I don't really see the comp there. I don't think he translates as an outside jump ball wr in the nfl. He had a fade defensed by an EMU corner. He should win that 1 on 1 matchup every time. If he can learn to use his hands more and shield off defenders at the catch point, I can see him in an Anqoun Boldin role in the league. I like him as a developmental prospect because he shows an understanding of pro level route concepts, but he needs to work on finishing the catch in contested situations. With his lack of burst, he will never have more than a couple yards of separation.
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

nwhalen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby nwhalen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:48 am

yooperbacker wrote:My biggest concern about Corey Davis (based solely off of the EMU and MSU tape) is his lack of physicality at the catch point. Excellent route runner, but dbs close quick on him because of lack of burst. Amari Cooper has a lot more juice in his legs so I don't really see the comp there. I don't think he translates as an outside jump ball wr in the nfl. He had a fade defensed by an EMU corner. He should win that 1 on 1 matchup every time. If he can learn to use his hands more and shield off defenders at the catch point, I can see him in an Anqoun Boldin role in the league. I like him as a developmental prospect because he shows an understanding of pro level route concepts, but he needs to work on finishing the catch in contested situations. With his lack of burst, he will never have more than a couple yards of separation.
The problem with comps is people think they need to be exactly alike. I use Amari Cooper as his comp because their games are similar. Both use very good route running to win vs sheer athletic ability or playing physical. Yes Cooper is quicker/more explosive. Corey Davis also has 1.5 inches on Cooper as well.

He's not slowhttp://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14236296 http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14166317 Gaining separation at the NFL level has less to do with burst and more how you run routes(see Stephen Hill, Cordarrelle Patterson, Tavon Austin, etc). DeAndre Hopkins ran a 4.57 being 6'1", but he wins because he sets up defenders so well with his routes. Corey Davis is similar in he knows when to settle in a zone, attack a defenders leverage, hesitate, and accelerate to get separation.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11919935 This play depicts his separation technique. Davis accelerates, hesitates, accelerates, hesitates again, then accelerates and gets the necessary separation. Then he makes a hands catch in a contested situation for the TD.

The other thing to keep in mind is Corey Davis is only 20 years old. He turns 21 in January and still is developing vs someone like Josh Doctson who is 23/24.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_MRLdkQ1nU[/youtube] The TD at 1:20 also shows his route running, hands catching a contested pass, and awareness to get his foot down. Also his TD at 4:25. This is only his 19 yr old Sophomore highlights.

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yooperbacker » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:57 am

I think he can gain enough separation to present his QB with a target. I would have really liked to see him do better finishing plays by reeling in catches in contested situations. As impressive as the fade against cmu was, the cb he beat is definitely not nfl caliber. I'm not discounting his route running or understanding of route concepts. He is highly advanced in this aspect. I'm discounting the explosive plays because they only seem to come from blowing by lesser competition. Again, not saying he is slow, but I don't think he projects as a downfield explosive playmaker. I think if he develops his frame and works on catching the football more aggressively he could be a very reliable possession receiver in the league. Keenan Allen maybe?
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:11 am

I would precede with extreme caution on this kid where he is being mentioned , a kid named jordan white from WMU just a few years ago lit up the conference and had huge numbers and could not even crack the jets rotation before marshall and decker arrived . He may be terrific but I could not in good faith pick him in the 1st of a rookies draft. Even his brother Titus (CMU) from the same conference looked terrific on tape & in the box scores and cannot get on the field or perhaps even make a roster. He has a better size profile but the MAC db skill level is not close to what he will face in the league ; he could be a nice value pick in the 2nd but taking him in top 15 is setting yourself up for a major disappointment IMHO.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

nwhalen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby nwhalen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:50 am

clarion contrarion wrote:I would precede with extreme caution on this kid where he is being mentioned , a kid named jordan white from WMU just a few years ago lit up the conference and had huge numbers and could not even crack the jets rotation before marshall and decker arrived . He may be terrific but I could not in good faith pick him in the 1st of a rookies draft. Even his brother Titus (CMU) from the same conference looked terrific on tape & in the box scores and cannot get on the field or perhaps even make a roster. He has a better size profile but the MAC db skill level is not close to what he will face in the league ; he could be a nice value pick in the 2nd but taking him in top 15 is setting yourself up for a major disappointment IMHO.
Jordan White 6'0 210
He had 2 good years at WMU.
Ran a 4.69 at the NFL combine
Drafted in the 7th round
Broke his foot before his rookie year started and that was about it.

I understand the conference concern for Corey Davis. However, if you're going to compare him to Jordan White, why won't we also compare him to Greg Jennings?

Greg Jennings 5' 11 195
3 good years at WMU
Ran a 4.42 at the combine
Drafted in the 2nd round
Had a good NFL career.

Corey Davis 6'3 205
3 good years at WMU
Runs at worst a 4.5 flat

Davis is much closer to Jennings(if not better) than Jordan White.

Competition is a legit concern, here are his games versus the big ten in his career.
vs Michigan State 10/154/1
@ Ohio State 6/42/0
@ Purdue 4/46/1
@ Michigan State 8/96/1
@ Northwestern 5/112/1

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:24 am

I am certain you have watched the kid closer than I have so you will have to draft him in the 1st if he goes there because I will not make that leap.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

nwhalen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby nwhalen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:17 am

clarion contrarion wrote:I am certain you have watched the kid closer than I have so you will have to draft him in the 1st if he goes there because I will not make that leap.
In a down year, not sure how Davis sneaks out of the 1st. Who do you have ahead of him(legit question)?

nwhalen
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby nwhalen » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:32 am

Apparently he's returning to school...ugh

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:21 am

dlf_nickw wrote:Apparently he's returning to school...ugh
You can't be serious...garrrrr!!
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:35 pm

like I said , I don't think he is a 1st next year :wink:
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Thats a very big disappointment. I hope he ends up coming out.
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.