Sam Bradford Update

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Sam Bradford Update

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:07 pm

NCAA: Sam Bradford Update
Written by Ross Mandel
Wednesday, 30 September 2009 10:13

Oklahoma is still reportedly undecided as to whether star junior QB Sam Bradford will play this coming weekend when the Sooners travel to Miami to play the Hurricanes. Bradford has been sidelined since the opening week of the season because of a sprained his throwing shoulder, but was reportedly throwing the ball well at practice yesterady. The big issue for Bradford, though, will be how the shoulder responds after a hard workout.

Mandel's Take: Bradford reportedly split time with Landry Jones at practice on Tuesday, which would indicate to me that he's going to play this weekend. Coach Stoops was playing it safe, refusing to say one way or the other whether Bradford would suit up this weekend, but the coach did add that his star QB emerged from Monday's practice with minimal soreness. That's a very encouraging sign for Sooner Nation. Stoops said a decision on Bradford would not be made until later in the week, perhaps even as late as Friday. He's justifiably concerned about the long-term health of his player and both he and Bradford have to realize what's on the line here--it's not just a sexy game against Miami, it's the kid's future.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:29 am

I say put him on the shelf. If they lose to Miami, there is no point in bringing him back at any point this season as OU is essentially done with 2 losses.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:31 am

dlf_stevea wrote:I say put him on the shelf. If they lose to Miami, there is no point in bringing him back at any point this season as OU is essentially done with 2 losses.
I was very surprised to see that there is even thought about him returning so soon. It gives me some hope about him, since he was my 1st round pick in GDF3.

Steve (and anyone else) is it a foregone conclusion that he'll declare for the draft and not return somehow for another year of school?
Last edited by Misfit74 on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:59 am

Almost any scout, off the record, will tell you that Bradford has absolutely nothing to prove in NCAA football. What most teams worry about is him coming back, playing too soon, and hurting it even worse. I am in the camp that believes (as far as a pro career is concerned), he needs to rest the shoulder for the next 3-4 months and then absolutely destroy the combine and/or workouts. If he comes back and hurts that shoulder even worse, he may have to return as 1)his policy wouldn't cover it if Dr. Andrews & insurance docs told him it now qualifies as a pre-existing condition and 2)to prove that he can play after a year's layoff.

Like I said, I think the team (and Bradford) would be making a mistake to jeopardize his locked up millions in the NFL.

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Mel and McShay discuss the first round QBs in 2010:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4522549

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:28 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:Almost any scout, off the record, will tell you that Bradford has absolutely nothing to prove in NCAA football. What most teams worry about is him coming back, playing too soon, and hurting it even worse. I am in the camp that believes (as far as a pro career is concerned), he needs to rest the shoulder for the next 3-4 months and then absolutely destroy the combine and/or workouts. If he comes back and hurts that shoulder even worse, he may have to return as 1)his policy wouldn't cover it if Dr. Andrews & insurance docs told him it now qualifies as a pre-existing condition and 2)to prove that he can play after a year's layoff.

Like I said, I think the team (and Bradford) would be making a mistake to jeopardize his locked up millions in the NFL.
You nailed it here, Bradford almost needs to come back for his senior season now.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Reports now say Bradford is having surgery and is out for the year, and the speculation begins as to what he should do at this point regarding the NFL Draft next year.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

the_lung
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby the_lung » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:41 pm

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:18 pm

the_lung wrote:McShay comments...
McShay thinks Bradford needs to prove he can play without a dominant O'Line and WR's and should consider returning.

McShay = McHigh

----------------
Now playing: Jaheim - Everytime I Think About Her feat. Jadakiss

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:22 pm

Pilate wrote:
the_lung wrote:McShay comments...
McShay thinks Bradford needs to prove he can play without a dominant O'Line and WR's and should consider returning.

McShay = McHigh

----------------
Now playing: Jaheim - Everytime I Think About Her feat. Jadakiss
u're a manbeast.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:10 pm

ESPN's Joe Schad reports that Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.

The next question is whether Bradford will enter the 2010 NFL Draft coming off a lost season. A case can be made both ways. Bradford, who's injured the AC joint in his throwing shoulder twice this year on nearly identical plays, could possibly still be a mid first-round pick if he has the operation and checks out well at next February's Combine. He could also return for his senior season and attempt to rejuvenate his draft stock.
Rotoworld

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:08 pm

Steelersfan wrote:ESPN's Joe Schad reports that Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.

The next question is whether Bradford will enter the 2010 NFL Draft coming off a lost season. A case can be made both ways. Bradford, who's injured the AC joint in his throwing shoulder twice this year on nearly identical plays, could possibly still be a mid first-round pick if he has the operation and checks out well at next February's Combine. He could also return for his senior season and attempt to rejuvenate his draft stock.
Rotoworld
i think you come out if you're shoulder is healed in time for the combine... even with the surgery he would be a 1st round pick.... or do you take the chances of getting injured AGAIN... and not even being drafted.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:16 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:ESPN's Joe Schad reports that Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford will undergo season-ending shoulder surgery.

Rotoworld
i think you come out if you're shoulder is healed in time for the combine... even with the surgery he would be a 1st round pick.... or do you take the chances of getting injured AGAIN... and not even being drafted.
Good points there and I tend to agree. He already made the mistake of coming back this past season in hindsight. It would be insane to do it again.

He's lock for a 1st rounder and still likely the first QB drafted, depending on who else declares and the off-season pre-draft process, along with his health considerations.

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:56 am

He definately should enter the 2010 draft. There is just too much risk going into another college season and losing more ground entering the pro´s.
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11