Post Combine - now what?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Arkived
Starter
Starter

Post Combine - now what?

Postby Arkived » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:43 pm

I have the 1.02, 1.03, and 1.08. With my roster below whom should I be taking with those picks? Before the Combine it was Gordon and White/DGB (I don't want any part of Cooper or Parker).

Now I'm torn between White/DGB/Ajayi/Yeldon at 1.03. I don't need a WR, but should I pass on the WRs available to me at 1.03 to draft Ajayi/Yeldon/another RB?

Another owner offered me the 1.04 and his late 2nd round pick for the 1.03 because he's afraid I'll take who he wants after Gordon (I have no idea who he wants. Its a RB and he says it's not Ajayi).

What do I do?? Thanks for the help folks.
Hitting the Wrong Hole - 8 team 1 pt PPR, .25 per carry Dynasty league (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 1 DL/LB, 4 DB)
QB - Brady, Bortles, Dalton
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Jeremy Hill, Melvin Gordon, Matt Jones, Mark Ingram, Danny Woodhead, Thomas Rawls, Derrick Henry, C.J. Prosise, Paul Perkins, DeAndre Washington, Adrian Peterson
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, DeAndre Hopkins, Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, Amari Cooper, Davante Parker, Laquon Treadwell
TE: Rob Gronkowski,Travis Kelce
DL: Carlos Dunlap, Jason Pierre-Paul, Everson Griffen, Ziggy Ansah, Danielle Hunter, Khalil Mack, Jabaal Sheard, Frank Clark
LB: Lavonte David, Alec Ogletree, Vontaze Burfict, NaVarro Bowman, Telvin Smith, Jamie Collins, Myles Jack, Jatavis Brown, Zach Orr, Devondre Campbell
DB: Morgan Burnett, Harrison Smith, Jonathan Cyprien, Reshad Jones, Kenny Vaccaro, Clayton Geathers, Karl Joseph
Taxi: Paxton Lynch

dirtyharris
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Post Combine - now what?

Postby dirtyharris » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:19 pm

I would hold off on trading that pick until after the NFL draft. I agree with taking Gordon at #2 (I'm assuming Gurley will go #1), but that #3 overall pick becomes very, very valuable if, say, Dallas lets Demarco Murray go and drafts Abdullah, Ajayi, or one of the other tier 2 RB's in the second. Or what if Indy, Baltimore, Dallas, or even Seaqttle spend a high pick on one of them? That pick will have a lot more value after the draft than it does right now. I'd hold off unless someone really gave me an offer I just couldn't refuse.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:49 pm

How does one come to this conclusion?

"I don't want any part of Cooper or Parker".

Just curious.

Arkived
Starter
Starter

Postby Arkived » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:21 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:How does one come to this conclusion?

Just curious.

I don't like WRs that cannot win contested/jump balls. Cooper is a guy that can't jump very high, so he's going to have to win in his route running and on long TDs. He pegs me as a possession guy. A very good possession guy, but not the type of WR that I want on my team.

I believe that Parker has all ready reached his ceiling. He's a good WR. Just not a great one. He will be a WR2 at best in FF. He's peaked and I don't want a guy that isn't going to be capable of more in the big leagues.

This is all my opinion, obviously. I could be dead wrong on both. They just aren't the types of WRs that I like to take chances on.
Hitting the Wrong Hole - 8 team 1 pt PPR, .25 per carry Dynasty league (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 PK, 3 DL, 3 LB, 1 DL/LB, 4 DB)
RB: Ezekiel Elliott, Jeremy Hill, Melvin Gordon, Matt Jones, Mark Ingram, Danny Woodhead, Thomas Rawls, Derrick Henry, C.J. Prosise, Paul Perkins, DeAndre Washington, Adrian Peterson
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, DeAndre Hopkins, Odell Beckham, Mike Evans, Jarvis Landry, Amari Cooper, Davante Parker, Laquon Treadwell
DL: Carlos Dunlap, Jason Pierre-Paul, Everson Griffen, Ziggy Ansah, Danielle Hunter, Khalil Mack, Jabaal Sheard, Frank Clark
LB: Lavonte David, Alec Ogletree, Vontaze Burfict, NaVarro Bowman, Telvin Smith, Jamie Collins, Myles Jack, Jatavis Brown, Zach Orr, Devondre Campbell
DB: Morgan Burnett, Harrison Smith, Jonathan Cyprien, Reshad Jones, Kenny Vaccaro, Clayton Geathers, Karl Joseph

Arkived
Starter
Starter

Postby Arkived » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:08 pm

What if the same guy is now offering the 1.04 and Allen Robinson for the 1.03 and Everson Griffen? Please take into account the WRs that I all ready have.

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:01 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:How does one come to this conclusion?

Just curious.
I don't want anything to do with Cooper either. More so meaning at the draft pick range, I would much rather have White/Parker/DGB. I just dont see the obsession about him when I saw tape. And Ive watched alot.

I like his talent obviously, but to me IMO he's neck and neck with Strong for WR4.(let the bashing begin)

I think this is what the OP is saying also.
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore

ChocolateCityCurse
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ChocolateCityCurse » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 am

Arkived wrote:I have the 1.02, 1.03, and 1.08. With my roster below whom should I be taking with those picks? Before the Combine it was Gordon and White/DGB (I don't want any part of Cooper or Parker).

Now I'm torn between White/DGB/Ajayi/Yeldon at 1.03. I don't need a WR, but should I pass on the WRs available to me at 1.03 to draft Ajayi/Yeldon/another RB?

Another owner offered me the 1.04 and his late 2nd round pick for the 1.03 because he's afraid I'll take who he wants after Gordon (I have no idea who he wants. Its a RB and he says it's not Ajayi).

Take Cooper / Gurley at 2, White at 3 and best available at 1.08 ( Strong / Ajayi and Yeldon could all be available, def 2 out of those 3)

...And the other owner that you are talking about, he's lying to you - > he is going WR (either White or Cooper, too much value )
The act of players getting yards and touchdowns to help your Fantasy team’s score accumulate is all luck.
The acts of acquiring players and choosing which ones to start is all skill.
- David Richard

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:34 am

Swampdonkey: I hear what you are saying as well about Amari Cooper. Seems to me that a lot of his highlights are him catching deep balls with no one on top of him. As smooth as his game is, I too wonder how well he will do at the next level.

I ask myself "If this were a redraft of 2014 who would I be targeting?" If that were the case it would definitely be the taller WR like (6' 5) Mike Evans then Odell (the only exception) but then probably Kelvin Benjamin. Why? because they score TD's :thumbup:

This is basically my dilemma as well. Get this, I have picks 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 1.05, 1.13, 2.04 in my Dynasty Misfits draft http://www2.myfantasyleague.com/2015/home/35760#0

My only question is which of the top 4 WR do I NOT take?

I keep reminding myself that the NFL is not an extension of college. Most of the guys playing college football will never step on an NFL field.

So my point is, we need to focus on drafting players that will make the greatest impact at the NFL level, nothing else.

With that said I have solidified Kevin White and DeVante Parker as two of my top 2 WR. Amari Cooper, as good as he is may not ever be a "stud WR" in the NFL

However, he could end up a more polished Golden Tate, or better yet a modern version of Reggie Wayne or Roddy White. The guy is a possession monster. Expect 100 + REC each year from Amari.

Parker, White and even DGB on the other hand will all be coveted red zone threats. The big question in my mind is at WR3 do I risk taking a chance with DGB or go with the more sure thing (low WR1 upside/WR2 more likely) with Amari Cooper?

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:48 pm

Doggie wrote:Swampdonkey: I hear what you are saying as well about Amari Cooper. Seems to me that a lot of his highlights are him catching deep balls with no one on top of him. As smooth as his game is, I too wonder how well he will do at the next level.

I ask myself "If this were a redraft of 2014 who would I be targeting?" If that were the case it would definitely be the taller WR like (6' 5) Mike Evans then Odell (the only exception) but then probably Kelvin Benjamin. Why? because they score TD's :thumbup:

This is basically my dilemma as well. Get this, I have picks 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, 1.04, 1.05, 1.13, 2.04 in my Dynasty Misfits draft http://www2.myfantasyleague.com/2015/home/35760#0

I keep reminding myself that the NFL is not an extension of college. Most of the guys playing college football will never step on an NFL field.

So my point is, we need to focus on drafting players that will make the greatest impact at the NFL level, nothing else.

With that said I have solidified Kevin White and DeVante Parker as two of my top 2 WR. Amari Cooper, as good as he is may not ever be a "stud WR" in the NFL

However, he could end up a more polished Golden Tate, or better yet a modern version of Reggie Wayne or Roddy White. The guy is a possession monster. Expect 100 + REC each year from Amari.

Parker, White and even DGB on the other hand will all be coveted red zone threats. The big question in my mind is at WR3 do I risk taking a chance with DGB or go with the more sure thing (low WR1 upside/WR2 more likely) with Amari Cooper?

If you can afford the risk, DGB. Or consider trading 1 pick back for owner who wants cooper and you can grab picks
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,

cactusdave
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cactusdave » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:39 am

Now what?

To start with, your roster is an embarrassment of riches. If there was any justice and your league had "means testing" in place, you'd be forced to give back those picks :)

I guess I could see where you could use a superstar RB to replace Forte who's long in the tooth. Maybe a long term investment in a franchise QB (better than RG3).

You really have to see where the landing spots are for these draftees before deciding on a pecking order.

Count me as someone else who is much higher on Strong and DGB as potential WR1s in the NFL as compared to Cooper, White and Parker. I think too many owners and draftniks are trying really hard to turn Cooper into the second coming of Julio Jones. I see him as a rich man's Nelson Agholor, and I'm not sure you wouldn't be better off with Agholor depending upon where they land.

It's a lot the same with RBs. I really like what I see on film from both David Johnson and Jeremy Langford. Their combine performances were not a surprise to me becuase I was rather expecting it. Love Gurley on film, Gordon will get drafted high which guarantees he'll have a workload advantage, but to me, he gets stuffed far too often for a back playing at Wisconsin, doesn't factor at all in the pass catching game, and has disappointing straight line speed.

Ajayi was questionable on film IMO to begin with, I can't see him as a featured back with that poor straight line speed showing. Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah were smallish with durability questions to begin with and now they're slow on top of that. Coleman remains a mystery, but I like his size and his big play capabilities and could see them translating to the NFL.

My 2 cents
12 Team, Full PPR, 17 Man Rosters,
Lineups: 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB or TE), 2 Flex (RB or WR or TE) for total of 8 starters.

QB: Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott
RB: Le'Veon Bell, CJ Anderson, Spencer Ware, Christine Michael, CJ Prosise.
WR: Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Allen Robinson, Tyler Lockett, Marvin Jones, Quincy Enunwa.
TE: Dwayne Allen, Virgil Green, Josh Hill, Maxx Williams.

Arkived
Starter
Starter

Postby Arkived » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:23 am

cactusdave wrote:Now what?

To start with, your roster is an embarrassment of riches. If there was any justice and your league had "means testing" in place, you'd be forced to give back those picks :)

I guess I could see where you could use a superstar RB to replace Forte who's long in the tooth. Maybe a long term investment in a franchise QB (better than RG3).

You really have to see where the landing spots are for these draftees before deciding on a pecking order.

Count me as someone else who is much higher on Strong and DGB as potential WR1s in the NFL as compared to Cooper, White and Parker. I think too many owners and draftniks are trying really hard to turn Cooper into the second coming of Julio Jones. I see him as a rich man's Nelson Agholor, and I'm not sure you wouldn't be better off with Agholor depending upon where they land.

It's a lot the same with RBs. I really like what I see on film from both David Johnson and Jeremy Langford. Their combine performances were not a surprise to me becuase I was rather expecting it. Love Gurley on film, Gordon will get drafted high which guarantees he'll have a workload advantage, but to me, he gets stuffed far too often for a back playing at Wisconsin, doesn't factor at all in the pass catching game, and has disappointing straight line speed.

Ajayi was questionable on film IMO to begin with, I can't see him as a featured back with that poor straight line speed showing. Duke Johnson and Ameer Abdullah were smallish with durability questions to begin with and now they're slow on top of that. Coleman remains a mystery, but I like his size and his big play capabilities and could see them translating to the NFL.

My 2 cents
Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

I do have a ridiculous team. It's only an 8 team league. Another owner and I essentially trade our good bench players or expendable sometimes starters to other teams for 1st rounders every season. However, it's a contract league and I won't be able to afford a lot of my superstars in a season or two. So making these picks pay off is a must if I want to remain in title contention.

I haven't watched much of Johnson and I've seen none of Langford. I'll have to give a look.

What don't you like about White? I'm considering him or DGB at 1.03. Would you trade 1.03 and Everson Griffen for 1.04 and Allen Robinson before the NFL draft?

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 am

Doggie wrote:Swampdonkey: I hear what you are saying as well about Amari Cooper. Seems to me that a lot of his highlights are him catching deep balls with no one on top of him. As smooth as his game is, I too wonder how well he will do at the next level.

ask yourself this . why was cooper all alone on deep routes ? it is because his route running is terrific and his speed is better than anticipated ? Bama had no other decent options in the passing ( i know about OJ Howard but he a was a colossal disappointment in 2014)
so he was the guy that garnered the bulk of the attention & we are talking about a guy that smashed juilo jones single season records with blake sims throwing him the ball ... watching him plat wr is like watching ryne sandberg play baseball ... people killed him because they it didn't appear he was hustling .... he was just so smooth it was deceptive ... cooper is the same way . If you pass on him it is at your own peril.
cooper 2014# 124 catches 1727 yds 16 tds
jones 2009 + 2010# 121 catches 1729 yds 10 tds

not implying cooper will be a better pro than jones due to jones size and situation BUT cooper is big enough and fast enough to be a terrific pro for a decade and has far less ? than strong DGB white or parker IMHO
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:05 pm

Shhhh, Cooper sucks, he doesn't try and you should all draft White, DGB, Parker and Strong before him.

timmahawk
Starter
Starter

Postby timmahawk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:55 pm

I'd draft White, Cooper and DGB. I don't even like DGB that much, but IMO your taking the guy with the highest floor (Cooper), Highest ceiling (DGB), and the best of the rest (White)

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:26 am

Arkived wrote:I have the 1.02, 1.03, and 1.08. With my roster below whom should I be taking with those picks? Before the Combine it was Gordon and White/DGB (I don't want any part of Cooper or Parker).

I'd probably call BS on this, it's almost in stone who the first 4 are gonna be. Unless its allowed to have an agreement of who he is to draft, I wouldn't do it.