Convince me about Abdullah

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Convince me about Abdullah

Postby Csl312 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:20 pm

So I am making my way through the film on draft breakdown on running backs right now, and I just don't see it with Ameer Abdullah. He looks pretty good, but I don't think I could put him ahead of Gurley, Gordon, Ajayi, Duke Johnson, and I have not watched anything on Yeldon yet but I hear he is pretty good. Bear in mind that I don't follow college football at all.
Abdullah has great acceleration, and out of the film I have watched so far he may have the best ability to make defenders miss one-on-one. He is also patient as his line opens up space for him to run.
However, there are some serious negatives I just can't get over. Biggest among those negatives is his inability and seeming unwillingness to block - sometimes he literally just stands there and watches a defender get to his qb. When he does actually pass block though, he is pretty ineffective. Also, Abdullah seems to go down on first contact most of the time he falls forward, but does not break many tackles and I don't see him having the ability to push the pile - he will not be a successful between the tackles runner IMO. Furthermore while he has great speed to get to the edge, and uses that to break away from the front of the defense, this will not be as easy in the NFL where LBs are as fast as the DBs he is facing in college. Finally, most of his impressive runs come against mediocre to poor defenses where the O-Line is able to open up huge holes for him to run through. In many cases I felt like if he did not gain 7-10 yards on the play he would have to be pretty bad because of how much empty space there was on the field.
There were not many passes his way, and fewer designed passes, so I can't really evaluate that.
I may be over valueing the ability to pass block but I do think it is very important to any RBs NFL success. Additionally I am wary of a speed back who had large holes opened up for him much of the time. Watching his tape against better teams (like the USC) is far less impressive than his tape against lesser teams (SMU, Illinois).

Am I way off here? Do you guys see these things too? Is there less to worry about than I think?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Convince me about Abdullah

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Wish I could, but I share similar concerns. He looks like a COP back at best with some special teams value. Doesn't possess a wide skill set overall. He definitely has some appeal in PPR though.

Factory of Sadness
Starter
Starter

Re: Convince me about Abdullah

Postby Factory of Sadness » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:51 pm

I love how differently we can all see the same players! I share some of your concerns and I agree that he will have to wait a while to see the field unless he is working on his pass pro morning noon and night. That aside, I see a fluid, quick twitch runner with great speed and surprising power. He looks to have excellent balance and and a really good sense of what he's doing at all times. There are holes for him, but he looks to me like he knows where to find them and when to cut. My guess is that he will have the vision to find the hole and the speed to hit it on Sundays and I think he'll be able to make the first guy miss more often than not. He may well have to be the Gio to somebody's Hill, but I think he'll do it well.