Devante Parker or Amari Cooper

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Johnnygolf9
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Devante Parker or Amari Cooper

Postby Johnnygolf9 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:15 am

Everyone says Amari hands down but I would be very suprised if that stays the same come draft time! Amari Cooper is 6 foot 1 and devante is 6 foot 3 with an 83 in wingspan this guy will be the #1 WR on whatever team takes him while Amari could be a WR 2 on his team due to lack of size, athleticism, and lack of a route tree. For me I would take Devante over Amari anyone care to disagree?

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Devante Parker or Amari Cooper

Postby 1standgoal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:23 am

FYI Amari Cooper's route running is 2nd too none. It's like, one of the strengths if his game.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 am

To me its White and Cooper for the 1st WR. Both need to improve small facets of their game, which can be done. But you cant teach 2 inches and 20 lbs (insert lame penis joke here)
White can REALLY high point the ball, just needs to sharpen his routes to Amari's level a little bit. Amari has had some drops, but does run a full route tree. Landing spot will dictate
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm

I personally got Parker as my top WR out of this class; so far.

I believe he has the higher ceiling, whereas Cooper may have the higher floor.

I'm one who personally looks for ceiling.

SunDried15
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby SunDried15 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:59 pm

Cooper, all day

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:30 pm

I'll be honest, after watching tape the last few weeks, I've changed my WR rankings considerably, and cooper is 3rd or 4th for me. I'm not against smaller recievers, I made a strong argument for TY Hilton preseason if anyone saw it.

Parker- If a WR can be "shot out of a cannon" like an RB, the it's him. His first step and how quick it takes him to get top gear is amazing. Great routes, high points, not easy to tackle, can beat you at any level, tracks ball great.

White- Not great off the line, but my ball mentality is a sight. I think Parker has more ups, but he has equal high pointing ability. I think he has the best hands off the 3, fights for the extra yards, great RZ awareness and target, isn't as fast or quick as Parker but I think if he works on first step and posture, he will be. I'm aware of the possible 1 year wonder though, and that's why he's #2.

Cooper- I've tried to find the reason everyone has him at #1WR. Seriously, because I have an early pick and not crazy about a RB with an ACL tear and not as hyped up on Gordon as most. I just don't see it. I do believe he's talented. His routes are crisp and best in class, but I saw too many drops, alot of yardage on screens, sweeps and blown coverage. 1 on 1 jump balls or fighting down the sideline weren't what I consider #1 abilities. He's better than Strong, so he goes here. Definition of technician, chain moving guy who can score, but I want a baller. I guess if I had to compare, I'd rather have Julio in his prime than Roddy in his prime. Not saying Parker and White are Julio, but that's their game style, baller.

WILD CARD: Sorry guys, but if DGB stays clean and combines as well as some expect, he's my #1. No player has come close to being compared to Calvin, and he has. If you've watched his tape, I don't even have to go into it. Dominant is the word of the day. I get his character flaws are the holes in his game, but they're the ONLY holes in his game. You can in fact change your personality and attitude, and if you've read up on his upbringing you can understand some (see Dez Bryant). Without getting deep here, I think most of us have done some stupid bleep and had a point in life where we actually became a man. So he can change that aspect. But the WR's mentioned previous will NEVER be as physically gifted, talented as him. Unlike Cooper, I went out of my way to NOT like him. I forgive him, and waiting for the combine. I get the Josh Gordon fears, but Dez was just as highly questionable as a character before and DGB is being talked of as even BETTER than Dez as a prospect.
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:42 pm

I have watched a considerable amount of tape as well and have reached a similar conclusion to Swamp Donkey. Parkers is easily my #1, good size, ball skills, and looks explosive after the catch. While I do still have Cooper at #2 I liked White more on film, since Cooper is more or less the consensus number one I have kept him there mainly out of principle but could definitely see dropping him after I due so more homework. DGB is the closest thing to Calvin Johnson since Calvin Johnson (from a physical standpoint), he doesn't run a 4.3, but he has big time potential and could sky rocket up draft boards if he interviews and tests well at the combine.

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:49 pm

RightlegTucker wrote:I have watched a considerable amount of tape as well and have reached a similar conclusion to Swamp Donkey. Parkers is easily my #1, good size, ball skills, and looks explosive after the catch. While I do still have Cooper at #2 I liked White more on film, since Cooper is more or less the consensus number one I have kept him there mainly out of principle but could definitely see dropping him after I due so more homework. DGB is the closest thing to Calvin Johnson since Calvin Johnson (from a physical standpoint), he doesn't run a 4.3, but he has big time potential and could sky rocket up draft boards if he interviews and tests well at the combine.
I think this is the trap that we fall under ( I know I did). I'd rather swing and miss on what I see than swing and miss on what you(DLF members) suggested me to do. Although it would be easier to blame everyone else....

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:23 pm

Swampdonkey17 wrote:WILD CARD: Sorry guys, but if DGB stays clean and combines as well as some expect, he's my #1. No player has come close to being compared to Calvin, and he has. If you've watched his tape, I don't even have to go into it. Dominant is the word of the day. I get his character flaws are the holes in his game, but they're the ONLY holes in his game. You can in fact change your personality and attitude, and if you've read up on his upbringing you can understand some (see Dez Bryant). Without getting deep here, I think most of us have done some stupid bleep and had a point in life where we actually became a man. So he can change that aspect. But the WR's mentioned previous will NEVER be as physically gifted, talented as him. Unlike Cooper, I went out of my way to NOT like him. I forgive him, and waiting for the combine. I get the Josh Gordon fears, but Dez was just as highly questionable as a character before and DGB is being talked of as even BETTER than Dez as a prospect.
Listen guys, I'm already a DGB owner in a devy league, so I have a vested interest.

But the outlook on these forums of his talent is really, really rosy.

He's not a perfect prospect if you set aside the off-field stuff, guys. Not even necessarily a great one. His agility is questionable, his YAC ability is questionable and other than a play or two where he drives his legs through weak tackles on the highlights everyone has seen, it's hard to find film of him actually getting YAC. Which is fine, that's not really his game. He's 6'6" and he was just perfecting his high pointing skills before he got booted from the team.

That doesn't change that 75% of his highlights (and it's hard to find anything other than highlights) consist of him catching deep balls behind college defenses or skying for four TD's over the same crappy 5'9" college CB in the same game.

Hey, he could be an absolute stud. His production was increasing at an acceptable rate year to year for a great prospect if he kept playing, his big plays pass the eye test. But he is no can't-miss prospect even if you ignore the off-field stuff. I think we need to temper our expectations a little.

Gonna post this in the DGB thread as well, probably more appropriate.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:05 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
Swampdonkey17 wrote:WILD CARD: Sorry guys, but if DGB stays clean and combines as well as some expect, he's my #1. No player has come close to being compared to Calvin, and he has. If you've watched his tape, I don't even have to go into it. Dominant is the word of the day. I get his character flaws are the holes in his game, but they're the ONLY holes in his game. You can in fact change your personality and attitude, and if you've read up on his upbringing you can understand some (see Dez Bryant). Without getting deep here, I think most of us have done some stupid bleep and had a point in life where we actually became a man. So he can change that aspect. But the WR's mentioned previous will NEVER be as physically gifted, talented as him. Unlike Cooper, I went out of my way to NOT like him. I forgive him, and waiting for the combine. I get the Josh Gordon fears, but Dez was just as highly questionable as a character before and DGB is being talked of as even BETTER than Dez as a prospect.
Listen guys, I'm already a DGB owner in a devy league, so I have a vested interest.

But the outlook on these forums of his talent is really, really rosy.

He's not a perfect prospect if you set aside the off-field stuff, guys. Not even necessarily a great one. His agility is questionable, his YAC ability is questionable and other than a play or two where he drives his legs through weak tackles on the highlights everyone has seen, it's hard to find film of him actually getting YAC. Which is fine, that's not really his game. He's 6'6" and he was just perfecting his high pointing skills before he got booted from the team.

That doesn't change that 75% of his highlights (and it's hard to find anything other than highlights) consist of him catching deep balls behind college defenses or skying for four TD's over the same crappy 5'9" college CB in the same game.

Hey, he could be an absolute stud. His production was increasing at an acceptable rate year to year for a great prospect if he kept playing, his big plays pass the eye test. But he is no can't-miss prospect even if you ignore the off-field stuff. I think we need to temper our expectations a little.

Gonna post this in the DGB thread as well, probably more appropriate.
Well said, I'm not shitting on DGB because i will be shooting for him in the 4-6 range in the draft this year but he is far from a perfect prospect, his entire highlight reel is dominating a terrible Kentucky team and a good game against Auburn, he was hardly dominant. He is tall and should win his fair share of jump balls, his speed,agility,route running and hands are all still question marks for me. He reminds me more of Plaxico Burress than Calvin Johnson. FWIW Parker is my favourite Wr in this draft,followed by Cooper and White,DGB,Strong in no particular order.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:23 am

Glad to see I'm not the only one who sees it.

I think it's one of three things:

1. He doesn't have the body of work available to us on tape to prove he's a complete WR.
or
2. He's not a complete WR, but can vastly improve because of his ceiling.
or
3. His "ceiling" is more a construct of the draftnik/dynasty community's collective hopes for another Calvin, inflated by his recognizable name and pedigree as a famous recruit, than any real potential to be an elite WR1. Maybe rather than Calvin or Moss or Green or even Evans, he's a taller Jon Baldwin (tall, straight line, minimal short area quickness and get-off ability, disappointing hands in comparison to his highlight reel).

We just don't have the tape to know for sure, it's tough to find anything other than highlights and his big game vs. Kentucky. Mike Evans mainly broke out his last year in school, and yet we had TONS more tape of him doing the types of things people freely attribute to DGB, plus a ton more ability to work the sideline and work back toward the QB. Maybe if DGB had played another year, and being higher profile and draft eligible, we'd have the tape to know for sure and he would have proven to be what many are saying he already is. But we can't know that.

RightlegTucker
All Pro
All Pro

Postby RightlegTucker » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

Swampdonkey17 wrote:
RightlegTucker wrote:I have watched a considerable amount of tape as well and have reached a similar conclusion to Swamp Donkey. Parkers is easily my #1, good size, ball skills, and looks explosive after the catch. While I do still have Cooper at #2 I liked White more on film, since Cooper is more or less the consensus number one I have kept him there mainly out of principle but could definitely see dropping him after I due so more homework. DGB is the closest thing to Calvin Johnson since Calvin Johnson (from a physical standpoint), he doesn't run a 4.3, but he has big time potential and could sky rocket up draft boards if he interviews and tests well at the combine.
I think this is the trap that we fall under ( I know I did). I'd rather swing and miss on what I see than swing and miss on what you(DLF members) suggested me to do. Although it would be easier to blame everyone else....
Indeed, as we move closer to the draft I differentiate my rankings more and more, I had so fortune last year with my individual rankings and plan on continuing with the process.

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:08 am

Swampdonkey17 wrote:
I have to agree with you both here. I like what Cooper does on film but to me he is missing that "wow" factor that I see when I watch Parker. I am also of the opinion that Cooper may have the higher floor, but the more tape I watch the harder it is to ignore Parker's ceiling if he lands in even a decent situation.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."