Over analyzed?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Over analyzed?

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat May 03, 2014 3:40 pm

Team Tacos wrote:My Ginger Ale is somehow still in its glass. Dri Archer is Tre Mason's height, 30+ pounds lighter, and .25 seconds faster in the 40? Gio/Stacy are also 5'8" and Doug Martin is only 1 inch taller? Hell, I dunno. HIT THE WEIGHT ROOM DRI
It's not that easy. Not everyone of the same height shares the same frame. People can only carry so much weight and still keep their athleticism. Everyone is different.

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Sat May 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Dri ain't AP and Mathews aint Watkins.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat May 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:Dri ain't AP and Mathews aint Watkins.
Wait, so what was that statement I quoted of yours? Sarcasm?

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Sat May 03, 2014 6:08 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
I was just giving Italian crap since he feels Matthews is a better, bigger Watkins.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Sat May 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:
I was just giving Italian crap since he feels Matthews is a better, bigger Watkins.
Rotoviz.com feels the same way. Just sayin... Not sure that I do, but I don't have any hope of getting Watkins (have 11th overall pick) so if I can land Matthews, I'll be stoked. See below for the rotoviz article.

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2014/04/th ... -opponents
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:
But you said nothing to dismiss that he isn't. The route running comment is a joke as it was said Matthews was the most pro ready WR in this class. the majority of Watkins routes were screens, but that doesn't matter apparenty?

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Tue May 06, 2014 3:23 pm

I recall someone in the forum asking Matthews lovers to provide a link to any statement from a real analyst, ex-player, or scout who had Matthews as the number one receiver in the draft. All I have seen are links to Rotoviz? No disrespect, but bloggers and freelance writers are in it for one thing... hits. They will say anything to get people to read. Even if it means they write outlandish articles. I am sure there is a writer out there who could write a comparative piece on how Lebron James is a better tight end than Jimmy Graham despite Lebron having never taken a snap. Statistics and measureables can be manipulated to make any point. That's how people get suckered into drafting guys like Stephen Hill. If Matthews was on the same level as Sammy Watkins, someone, anyone with reputation outside of the fantasy community would be beating their drum over him. I have yet to see that. Anywhere. One more thing. Sometimes the stuff that seperates one player from the next can't be measured by a clock, ruler, or day at the combine. It's called being special. When was the last time Matthews was referred to as the best prospect since Julio and AJ? Never. That's because he's not on that level. As it stands now, he's not even being called the second best. I'm not saying he is garbage. Just that it's funny to call him a bigger Sammy Watkins. That's irresponsible. No one in their right mind would call him that. Except people who know they have no shot at the real deal and are looking for a consolation prize.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Again, why is it irresponsible? If there's one thing about the NFL Draft, it's that no one really knows. I try and take in as much information as possible, and make opinions from that. Rotoviz seems to have the most about Matthews, so that's why most link there. You're talking about writers looking for hits, why do you think everyone and their mom writes about Sammy Watkins? For the hits. At least when Rotoviz (and others) make a point for someone else, they back it up with reasoning, and stand by their decisions. They took a lot of flack last year for saying Zac Stacy was one of the top RB's in the class, and he'd end up being the Ram's RB over Pead and Richardson, and then it happened. They get lots wrong, lots right, which is pretty much the same as every person whose articles you read.

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cditty75 » Tue May 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Maybe that's just his personal opinion. He's entitled to that.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue May 06, 2014 4:15 pm

cditty75 wrote:Maybe that's just his personal opinion. He's entitled to that.
Agreed. There are some emotions and accusations of not being in "right mind" flying around here. That's silly.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:57 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:The majority of Watkins routes were screens, but that doesn't matter apparenty?
That doesn't matter. He couldn't control how he was used in his college offense. When he ran other routes, he was competent and when you take into account his insanely quick feet and loose hips, it's not out of the question to project him as a great route runner in the future. Harvin mostly played RB in college, but he showed such potential running the few routes he DID run that it was easy to project him as a "real WR". Easy to do that here with Watkins as well.

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Tue May 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Lol. Yes. Your entitled to your opinion. My bad.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed May 07, 2014 8:01 am

Alshon Jeffery was the 7th WR taken in the 2012 NFL draft.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:25 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
italian_stallion21 wrote:The majority of Watkins routes were screens, but that doesn't matter apparenty?
That doesn't matter. He couldn't control how he was used in his college offense. When he ran other routes, he was competent and when you take into account his insanely quick feet and loose hips, it's not out of the question to project him as a great route runner in the future. Harvin mostly played RB in college, but he showed such potential running the few routes he DID run that it was easy to project him as a "real WR". Easy to do that here with Watkins as well.
You kind of are making my point. Why is it that the exact same "issue" (I don't think it is personally) a problem for one WR but not another? It's like when you hear Teddy B is too small, but Derek Carr is the EXACT same size but isn't?

Both Watkins and Matthews are good route runners, and both have insanely quick feet and loose hips, but apparently because one doesn't "look" fast it's a problem.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:41 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:
You kind of are making my point. Why is it that the exact same "issue" (I don't think it is personally) a problem for one WR but not another? It's like when you hear Teddy B is too small, but Derek Carr is the EXACT same size but isn't?

Both Watkins and Matthews are good route runners, and both have insanely quick feet and loose hips, but apparently because one doesn't "look" fast it's a problem.
I don't really understand the problem. Is someone in this thread saying Watkins is a better route runner than Matthews? He's absolutely faster in pads. But I was just responding to your point about 55% of Watkins routes being screens, not making any point about Matthews.