Over analyzed?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Over analyzed?

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:12 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:I don't really understand the problem. Is someone in this thread saying Watkins is a better route runner than Matthews? He's absolutely faster in pads. But I was just responding to your point about 55% of Watkins routes being screens, not making any point about Matthews.
Bolded part. How so? Matthews in the open field is just as "uncatchable" (if that's a word). This is where watching the games came in for me. Sammy may look super fast, but is it because he's smaller, because it's not like Matthews was being caught from behind ever.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:28 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:I don't really understand the problem. Is someone in this thread saying Watkins is a better route runner than Matthews? He's absolutely faster in pads. But I was just responding to your point about 55% of Watkins routes being screens, not making any point about Matthews.
Bolded part. How so? Matthews in the open field is just as "uncatchable" (if that's a word). This is where watching the games came in for me. Sammy may look super fast, but is it because he's smaller, because it's not like Matthews was being caught from behind ever.
Its about acceleration and explosion for me. Matthews, like you said, isn't getting caught from behind when he beats you deep. Watkins has a different type of speed--he can go from 0-60 better than anyone else in this class. He can go from being in a crowd of defensive players to leaving them in his dust, it's a special type of juice he's got in his legs. He just effortlessly pulls away and destroys angles. It's probably a big part of why he caught so many screens--it's the quickest, safest way to get the ball into his hands, and then you let him do all the work--in space, in a congested area of the field, it didn't matter.

That's something I don't think Matthews has.

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Wed May 07, 2014 3:33 pm

I apologize for turning this into a Matthews / Watkins debate. They are both equal in ability and I expect them both to be drafted in the top 10.

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cditty75 » Wed May 07, 2014 3:47 pm

Lotto4Life wrote:Alshon Jeffery was the 7th WR taken in the 2012 NFL draft.
I'll see your Alshon and raise you Brandon Marshall who was the 14th wr drafted in 2006

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Wed May 07, 2014 4:05 pm

cditty75 wrote:
I'll see your Alshon and raise you Brandon Marshall who was the 14th wr drafted in 2006
How does Rod Smith fit into all of this?

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Wed May 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:
cditty75 wrote:
How does Rod Smith fit into all of this?
Right behind Mike Piazza. Wait, wrong sport. We're so deep into baseball season for this friggin draft that I got confused.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed May 07, 2014 4:58 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Its about acceleration and explosion for me. Matthews, like you said, isn't getting caught from behind when he beats you deep. Watkins has a different type of speed--he can go from 0-60 better than anyone else in this class. He can go from being in a crowd of defensive players to leaving them in his dust, it's a special type of juice he's got in his legs. He just effortlessly pulls away and destroys angles. It's probably a big part of why he caught so many screens--it's the quickest, safest way to get the ball into his hands, and then you let him do all the work--in space, in a congested area of the field, it didn't matter.

Matthews - 10 Yd - 1.55, 20 Yd - 2.61

Watkins - 10 Yd - 1.54, 20 Yd - 2.52

Close, but you're right, over 20 yds Watkins IS noticeably faster.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed May 07, 2014 5:16 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:Its about acceleration and explosion for me. Matthews, like you said, isn't getting caught from behind when he beats you deep. Watkins has a different type of speed--he can go from 0-60 better than anyone else in this class. He can go from being in a crowd of defensive players to leaving them in his dust, it's a special type of juice he's got in his legs. He just effortlessly pulls away and destroys angles. It's probably a big part of why he caught so many screens--it's the quickest, safest way to get the ball into his hands, and then you let him do all the work--in space, in a congested area of the field, it didn't matter.

Matthews - 10 Yd - 1.55, 20 Yd - 2.61

Watkins - 10 Yd - 1.54, 20 Yd - 2.52

Close, but you're right, over 20 yds Watkins IS noticeably faster.
It's nice to see the numbers somewhat back it up, but I think it's important to note that I said "in pads" originally. On the football field. Not from a 3-point track crouch on a hard surface in running cleats, with no pads, helmet, or football in hand. I think there's a bigger difference than those numbers suggest, on the field.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Fair enough, It's tough without watching video over top of other video, as Matthews caught a ton of screen passes too, and basically did the same thing. Having overlapping video would be the best way to see the difference but I am nowhere near tech savvy enough to do that.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:26 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:Fair enough, It's tough without watching video over top of other video, as Matthews caught a ton of screen passes too, and basically did the same thing. Having overlapping video would be the best way to see the difference but I am nowhere near tech savvy enough to do that.
My neither. I've seen the video overlay/overlap thing done with the 40 before but that doesn't help at all in this kind of discussion. I wish this kind of stuff was out there!

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed May 07, 2014 7:59 pm

I'm pretty sure I'd never get any work done if it was haha.

RossOfTheYear
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RossOfTheYear » Wed May 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:I apologize for turning this into a Matthews / Watkins debate. They are both equal in ability and I expect them both to be drafted in the top 10.
Of the NFL draft or a fantasy draft? There's no way Matthews is going in the top 10 of the actual draft
Game of Jones
10 team Dynasty, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST, 1 K
Ryan, Palmer, Wentz, Prescott
Gurley, Bell, Martin, Forte, Rawls, Henry, Don Jackson
Julio Jones, Evans, Benjamin, Crabtree, Watkins (IR), Diggs, Dorsett, Enunwa
Kelce, Henry
Carolina
Tucker