Jordan Matthews

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jordan Matthews

Postby Butt Liqueur » Fri May 02, 2014 5:53 am

italian_stallion21 wrote:
Loss Prevention wrote:Jordan Matthews is a bigger Sammy Watkins. And Dri Archer is a smaller Adrian Peterson.
Do you disagree?

Ht Wt Arm Hand 40 Vert Broad 3 Cone Shuttle
Jordan Matthews 75 212 33.3 10.4 4.46 35.5 120 6.95 4.18
Sammy Watkins 73 211 32.0 9.6 4.43 34.0 126 6.95 4.34

Looks pretty close to me.

Stats maybe?

Rec Yards YPR Rec TD
Jordan Matthews 7.3 95 13.1 0.5
Sammy Watkins 6.4 98 15.4 0.5

Pretty close again.

Not sure how you can't say they're comparable, and Matthews is bigger by 2'?
From tape I watched, they were asked to do very similar things in college. That being said, Sammy Watkins seemed to "play bigger" than his size and the opposite can be said for Matthews, he seemed to "play smaller" than his size. I think Matthews could end up being the most consistent receiver from this draft, but I don't think he'll be in the top 5 of WRs from this draft

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

cold lazarus
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cold lazarus » Fri May 02, 2014 4:35 pm

BwK wrote:
cditty75 wrote:
BwK wrote:I was high on mathews too but after doing research on all the wr in the class it's my opinion and apparently others that Mathews will never be a #1 wr for his team. Think mushin muhamed. I think he is going to have trouble beating top dbs. Other wr in this class seem to have much higher ceilings and thats why you see Mathews falling. I have moved OBJ Lee Robinson and Latimer over Mathews.

You said you moved those wrs ahead of Matthews meaning you initially had Matthews ranked higher. So did you decide to move them higher after combine and pro days?
initially i went off college production. I had sammy.Lee.Evans.Mathews as my top 4. I then began to research all the film I could find. Personally I think Sammy Lee and OBJ are the best that I have researched. What bothered me about Mathews is that when he was contested he seemed to struggle. I think he would be ideal lining up opposite a calvin or fitzgerald type and would excell in denver but if he was alone I think dbs like sherman and revis would eat him alive.
it didn't seem to hurt his production.

jason401
Starter
Starter

Postby jason401 » Sat May 03, 2014 6:52 am

BwK wrote:
cditty75 wrote:
BwK wrote:I was high on mathews too but after doing research on all the wr in the class it's my opinion and apparently others that Mathews will never be a #1 wr for his team. Think mushin muhamed. I think he is going to have trouble beating top dbs. Other wr in this class seem to have much higher ceilings and thats why you see Mathews falling. I have moved OBJ Lee Robinson and Latimer over Mathews.

You said you moved those wrs ahead of Matthews meaning you initially had Matthews ranked higher. So did you decide to move them higher after combine and pro days?
initially i went off college production. I had sammy.Lee.Evans.Mathews as my top 4. I then began to research all the film I could find. Personally I think Sammy Lee and OBJ are the best that I have researched. What bothered me about Mathews is that when he was contested he seemed to struggle. I think he would be ideal lining up opposite a calvin or fitzgerald type and would excell in denver but if he was alone I think dbs like sherman and revis would eat him alive.
Just curious to know in which game he struggled? He had one 'bad' game last year (vs. Florida). But if you watched that game, you'd know it had nothing to do with him struggling. Vanderbilt didn't have their starting QB or their second best WR. They played a run first game and threw a whopping 12 passes, completing 6...5 of which were caught by Matthews.

And Sherman and Revis have shut down a lot of very good NFL WR's.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Sun May 04, 2014 12:31 pm

Interesting article that addresses the Watkins/Matthews comparison.

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2014/04/th ... -opponents
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

cold lazarus
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cold lazarus » Sun May 04, 2014 2:20 pm

Team Tacos wrote:Interesting article that addresses the Watkins/Matthews comparison.

http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2014/04/th ... -opponents

it's a stats vs film showdown. which camp will be shown to be more accurate in analyzing players?

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cditty75 » Sun May 04, 2014 7:02 pm

I'm more of a film guy but you can learn a lot from stats too. But I can't rely solely on stats or else you could say Jordan Matthews is better than Mike Evans because Matthews put up 100 yds on Mizzou and Evans put up 8 yds on Mizzou. I would also need to view the tape to see why Evans had such a hard time against Mizzou.

RossOfTheYear
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RossOfTheYear » Fri May 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Gonna be an Eagle, great spot for him
Game of Jones
10 team Dynasty, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST, 1 K
Ryan, Palmer, Wentz, Prescott
Gurley, Bell, Martin, Forte, Rawls, Henry, Don Jackson
Julio Jones, Evans, Benjamin, Crabtree, Watkins (IR), Diggs, Dorsett, Enunwa
Kelce, Henry
Carolina
Tucker

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:07 pm

Well that makes me very, very happy.

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cditty75 » Fri May 09, 2014 5:35 pm

Very nice!

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Fri May 09, 2014 6:33 pm

Yeah, this is a great spot for him. Moves him up to the 1.03 (Lee / Beckham / Sankey / Matthews)

ABWchance
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ABWchance » Sat May 10, 2014 2:49 pm

I'm torn, I had myself set to take him at 1.04 but now I am just don't know with Cooks and Sankey's landing spots they are hard to pass up. I have all three equal now.

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cditty75 » Sat May 10, 2014 5:58 pm

ABWchance wrote:I'm torn, I had myself set to take him at 1.04 but now I am just don't know with Cooks and Sankey's landing spots they are hard to pass up. I have all three equal now.
You could very well have all 3 of those to choose from at 1.04. Tough call.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:40 pm

cditty75 wrote:
ABWchance wrote:I'm torn, I had myself set to take him at 1.04 but now I am just don't know with Cooks and Sankey's landing spots they are hard to pass up. I have all three equal now.
I've been thinking about this as well, but let's all remember, that the rookie camps, OTAs, training camps, haven't taken place yet, and unless your draft is really soon, we have time to all figure out how this will shake out.

ABWchance
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ABWchance » Sat May 10, 2014 10:14 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:
cditty75 wrote:
I've been thinking about this as well, but let's all remember, that the rookie camps, OTAs, training camps, haven't taken place yet, and unless your draft is really soon, we have time to all figure out how this will shake out.
Our draft is actually on May 18th. It forces owners to make their own evaluations prior to all the information that floods in throughout the summer. This provides a bit of parity in the draft since late summer drafts tend to be homogenized with everyone having all the information about how all the rooks are doing in the summer and what kind of playing time they are going to get. This early provides a bit more speculation and quite a bit more risk. Although I don't think I can really go wrong with any of those three.