Jordan Matthews

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Jordan Matthews

Postby Team Tacos » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 am

Jordan Matthews has been falling in the rookie WR rankings recently. Why? Dude is 6'3" with huge arms and hands and ran a 4.46 40, with great college tape! I don't get it... Don't get me wrong, if he falls to me at pick 1.11 (and my Panthers in the 2nd round), I'll be stoked. But I'm just wondering if I'm not seeing something...
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Re: Jordan Matthews

Postby cditty75 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm

I see the same thing in J Matthews you do which is why I won't hesitate to take him at 1.06 if he's there. Some see an average wr with a high floor low ceiling. If he is dropping in rankings, it might be because other wr's have gone up in ranking because of combine or pro day.

cgcthem
Rookie
Rookie

Postby cgcthem » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:28 pm

Let him fall!

DRDOOM

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:31 pm

cditty75 wrote:I see the same thing in J Matthews you do which is why I won't hesitate to take him at 1.06 if he's there. Some see an average wr with a high floor low ceiling. If he is dropping in rankings, it might be because other wr's have gone up in ranking because of combine or pro day.
That's what I'm thinking. Everything could change in the next 2 weeks though.

IR:

BwK
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BwK » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:52 pm

I was high on mathews too but after doing research on all the wr in the class it's my opinion and apparently others that Mathews will never be a #1 wr for his team. Think mushin muhamed. I think he is going to have trouble beating top dbs. Other wr in this class seem to have much higher ceilings and thats why you see Mathews falling. I have moved OBJ Lee Robinson and Latimer over Mathews.
10 team non-ppr no FA pickups
QB- Ryan, Romo, Winston
RB-Foster, GIO, Mathews, L. Murray, JStew, Duke
WR-Green, Sammy, Benjamin, B. Coleman, Fitzgerald, Lee, Latimer, Algholar, C. Coleman, Doctson
TE-Graham, Green
K-Bailey, Prater
DEF-Rams

cditty75
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cditty75 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 am

BwK wrote:I was high on mathews too but after doing research on all the wr in the class it's my opinion and apparently others that Mathews will never be a #1 wr for his team. Think mushin muhamed. I think he is going to have trouble beating top dbs. Other wr in this class seem to have much higher ceilings and thats why you see Mathews falling. I have moved OBJ Lee Robinson and Latimer over Mathews.

You said you moved those wrs ahead of Matthews meaning you initially had Matthews ranked higher. So did you decide to move them higher after combine and pro days?

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Thu May 01, 2014 11:57 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote:Got the 13th pick in a mild PPR league. Any realistic chance JM falls to me?
With the way people are devaluing him for no reason, maybe. Hope he falls to me at #11.

IR:

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu May 01, 2014 12:35 pm

BwK wrote:I was high on mathews too but after doing research on all the wr in the class it's my opinion and apparently others that Mathews will never be a #1 wr for his team. Think mushin muhamed. I think he is going to have trouble beating top dbs. Other wr in this class seem to have much higher ceilings and thats why you see Mathews falling. I have moved OBJ Lee Robinson and Latimer over Mathews.
Sooooooo, you moved him behind guys that couldn't put up better production against crappier DB's, but Matthews is the guy that will have trouble? Please explain? As for higher ceilings, how so? Physically he's just as fast/agile as the guys you've put above him, but bigger than OBJ/Lee. Comparably, Matthews is a bigger Sammy Watkins, so I'm not sure why everyone is so down on him. Granted, I like it, but I don't get it.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu May 01, 2014 1:49 pm

I'm guessing he's getting knocked down because no analysts are really talking about him much and most of the analysts I've seen have him down in the 6-10 range. Like it or not, most analysts have a decent amount of info. Now maybe nobody is talking about Matthews because all the GMs want him to fall to them, who knows. I haven't paid a lot of attention to draft coverage lately, though.

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Thu May 01, 2014 5:36 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
Sooooooo, you moved him behind guys that couldn't put up better production against crappier DB's, but Matthews is the guy that will have trouble? Please explain? As for higher ceilings, how so? Physically he's just as fast/agile as the guys you've put above him, but bigger than OBJ/Lee. Comparably, Matthews is a bigger Sammy Watkins, so I'm not sure why everyone is so down on him. Granted, I like it, but I don't get it.
Jordan Matthews is a bigger Sammy Watkins. And Dri Archer is a smaller Adrian Peterson.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:37 pm

That's why I hate this extra 2 weeks. 2 more weeks of misinformation. For all we know everybody is pushing the OBJ discussion of top 15 pick to trick other GM's into trading up for him because they want someone else to fall. I guess this is why no one ever gets mock drafts correct, since we have no idea what anyone's motives behind their statements or info leaks are.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:Jordan Matthews is a bigger Sammy Watkins. And Dri Archer is a smaller Adrian Peterson.
Do you disagree?

Ht Wt Arm Hand 40 Vert Broad 3 Cone Shuttle
Jordan Matthews 75 212 33.3 10.4 4.46 35.5 120 6.95 4.18
Sammy Watkins 73 211 32.0 9.6 4.43 34.0 126 6.95 4.34

Looks pretty close to me.

Stats maybe?

Rec Yards YPR Rec TD
Jordan Matthews 7.3 95 13.1 0.5
Sammy Watkins 6.4 98 15.4 0.5

Pretty close again.

Not sure how you can't say they're comparable, and Matthews is bigger by 2'?

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Thu May 01, 2014 6:12 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:
Loss Prevention wrote:Jordan Matthews is a bigger Sammy Watkins. And Dri Archer is a smaller Adrian Peterson.
Do you disagree?

Ht Wt Arm Hand 40 Vert Broad 3 Cone Shuttle
Jordan Matthews 75 212 33.3 10.4 4.46 35.5 120 6.95 4.18
Sammy Watkins 73 211 32.0 9.6 4.43 34.0 126 6.95 4.34

Looks pretty close to me.

Stats maybe?

Rec Yards YPR Rec TD
Jordan Matthews 7.3 95 13.1 0.5
Sammy Watkins 6.4 98 15.4 0.5

Pretty close again.

Not sure how you can't say they're comparable, and Matthews is bigger by 2'?
Hey man, I agree with you! And I also stand by my Archer comments. Do I sound crazy or something?

BwK
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BwK » Thu May 01, 2014 11:48 pm

cditty75 wrote:

You said you moved those wrs ahead of Matthews meaning you initially had Matthews ranked higher. So did you decide to move them higher after combine and pro days?
initially i went off college production. I had sammy.Lee.Evans.Mathews as my top 4. I then began to research all the film I could find. Personally I think Sammy Lee and OBJ are the best that I have researched. What bothered me about Mathews is that when he was contested he seemed to struggle. I think he would be ideal lining up opposite a calvin or fitzgerald type and would excell in denver but if he was alone I think dbs like sherman and revis would eat him alive.
10 team non-ppr no FA pickups
QB- Ryan, Romo, Winston
RB-Foster, GIO, Mathews, L. Murray, JStew, Duke
WR-Green, Sammy, Benjamin, B. Coleman, Fitzgerald, Lee, Latimer, Algholar, C. Coleman, Doctson
TE-Graham, Green
K-Bailey, Prater
DEF-Rams