Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Postby guyatwork37 » Wed May 07, 2014 6:32 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
He doesn't have Stafford's cannon or anything, but he can make every throw on a rope when he sets his base and let's it rip from the pocket. He can also make those throws on the run and from differing platforms and at different throwing angles (kind of a rare quality that guys like Favre and Romo both have), even if he made them when he sometimes should have taken the check down or less risky throw in college. He's also got the best deep ball touch (note again, not arm, that goes to Carr in a landslide) in the class, which isn't paramount for NFL or FF success but certainly helps.

He got caught looking for the big play ALL the time in college. It's why he unnecessarily hops around in the pocket sometimes, even bumping into his own linemen, as he looks for the TD rather than the designed check-down. You either believe he can learn to play within the designed confines of a pro offense or you don't. I think he can. He just didn't need to in college, he could dance around, prolong the play, make an ill-advised throw across the field and score TD's at will. Not because it's all he's capable of doing, but because in college it worked and led his team to victories.
I get your point, and I'm sure he's aware of his limitations and understands the pro game will be different. But I suppose I fall in the camp of him not being able to learn to play the pro offense. If I'm going to draft a QB in this draft, I would want a guy who has played that style of offense. Do Bortles and Bridgewater have their flaws? Of course. But I have evidence on film that they can play a pro offense QB. Can Manziel learn that? Sure. But I'd rather have evidence that he's prone to do it as opposed to hope that he can learn it.

I guess part of my hesitation is that I don't think he will be that coachable. He won a Heisman doing what he was doing and from what I've read about him, he's got an attitude/diva issue and I think he will be obstinant. That is where my doubt comes from.

NJKV
Starter
Starter

Postby NJKV » Wed May 07, 2014 7:07 am

guyatwork37 wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:
He doesn't have Stafford's cannon or anything, but he can make every throw on a rope when he sets his base and let's it rip from the pocket. He can also make those throws on the run and from differing platforms and at different throwing angles (kind of a rare quality that guys like Favre and Romo both have), even if he made them when he sometimes should have taken the check down or less risky throw in college. He's also got the best deep ball touch (note again, not arm, that goes to Carr in a landslide) in the class, which isn't paramount for NFL or FF success but certainly helps.

He got caught looking for the big play ALL the time in college. It's why he unnecessarily hops around in the pocket sometimes, even bumping into his own linemen, as he looks for the TD rather than the designed check-down. You either believe he can learn to play within the designed confines of a pro offense or you don't. I think he can. He just didn't need to in college, he could dance around, prolong the play, make an ill-advised throw across the field and score TD's at will. Not because it's all he's capable of doing, but because in college it worked and led his team to victories.
I get your point, and I'm sure he's aware of his limitations and understands the pro game will be different. But I suppose I fall in the camp of him not being able to learn to play the pro offense. If I'm going to draft a QB in this draft, I would want a guy who has played that style of offense. Do Bortles and Bridgewater have their flaws? Of course. But I have evidence on film that they can play a pro offense QB. Can Manziel learn that? Sure. But I'd rather have evidence that he's prone to do it as opposed to hope that he can learn it.

I guess part of my hesitation is that I don't think he will be that coachable. He won a Heisman doing what he was doing and from what I've read about him, he's got an attitude/diva issue and I think he will be obstinant. That is where my doubt comes from.
I don't think Bortles played in a "pro-style" offense at UCF. They might have done some pro-style stuff but there was a lot of option stuff too. Manziel played in a Spread/Air Raid style. Air Raid is bcoming more popular in the NFL today.

I think Romo/Brett Favre when I see Manziel. When it comes to how he can improvise a play. Favre was notorious for making awful decisions in his career but he had a really long one too.

Finally, I think Manziel showed he wanted to become a better pocket passer. He started trying to do more from the pocket in his final year. Now that he will be having NFL coaching. He can truly learn to become that, while making his crazy plays.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Wed May 07, 2014 8:55 am

Again, when the weather gets adverse, a lot of guys with good to average arm strength start to really struggle. If I was the GM in CLE, I would not touch anyone who did not have a true "cannon".

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Cult of Dionysus wrote:Again, when the weather gets adverse, a lot of guys with good to average arm strength start to really struggle. If I was the GM in CLE, I would not touch anyone who did not have a true "cannon".
I don't think there are any arm strength concerns to be found here. If Colt McCoy is the bottom of the scale in the NFL, and Stafford is the top, Manziel is in the top half of starters, at least. That's adequate for any realistic weather conditions.

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Thu May 08, 2014 10:44 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote:Again, when the weather gets adverse, a lot of guys with good to average arm strength start to really struggle. If I was the GM in CLE, I would not touch anyone who did not have a true "cannon".
I think hand size is more important in adverse weather. He has the same size hands as Cam Newton (who is six inches taller), so no concerns on my end.