Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Postby flexcapacitor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 am

I really like Manziel's college game, I'm just not sure it will translate to the NFL game. His scrambling abilities are what made him exciting but I'm hesitant that it's going to work as well at the next level. Then because of his size he will get hurt far to often to be relied apron in fantasy. Manziel seems like a less athletic, more accurate version of Mike Vick. Vick has been injured a lot in his career but IMO didn't turn into a good NFL QB until he started staying in the pocket more and worked on his accuracy. Unless Manziel can learn to stay in the pocket more I have my doubts he will any more then a 10 game a year playmaker. Am I way off here?

Igwebuike 4 Prez
Starter
Starter

Re: Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Postby Igwebuike 4 Prez » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:57 am

I don't think you are off at all.

His game will translate, only if he lands on team whose coaches are OK letting Johnny Football be Johnny Football.

Because of his size, I question how many coaches are willing to do that. You take away the improvisational part of his game, and he's just a guy, imo.

Manziel is the ultimate boom or bust prospect. I don't see a lot in between with him.

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:48 am

I'm gonna draft him at 1.01 and then try and get his backup on the cheap. It might be similar to the RG3/Cousins situation where they grab a Bridgewater/Garappolo/Mettenberger/McCarron who falls to the 4th. Maybe even Tajh Boyd in the 6th. He should be really exciting to watch but is definitely a guy you want to handcuff in any league that starts 16 or more QB's.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:55 am

Igwebuike 4 Prez wrote:I don't think you are off at all.

His game will translate, only if he lands on team whose coaches are OK letting Johnny Football be Johnny Football.

Because of his size, I question how many coaches are willing to do that. You take away the improvisational part of his game, and he's just a guy, imo.

Manziel is the ultimate boom or bust prospect. I don't see a lot in between with him.
I think you have to limit the improvisational part of his game, to a point. My point is that if you don't he will get hurt to often if you don't. I think he has to be a pocket passer first and a runner second kind of like Wilson or Kaep.

DaveP
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DaveP » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:35 am

Jimmy Jones wrote:I'm gonna draft him at 1.01 and then try and get his backup on the cheap. It might be similar to the RG3/Cousins situation where they grab a Bridgewater/Garappolo/Mettenberger/McCarron who falls to the 4th. Maybe even Tajh Boyd in the 6th. He should be really exciting to watch but is definitely a guy you want to handcuff in any league that starts 16 or more QB's.
In what world would Bridgewater drop to the 4th round?! McCarron is the only guy from this group that could possibly fall that far and he stinks anyway so I wouldn't even want to roster him. If you are drafting Manziel 1.01 then you would have really believe in him and shouldn't need to waste another pick/roster spot on his backup.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Boom or bust no in between for me. Simple as that.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Smart scramblers don't necessarily get hurt (see Russel Wilson, Steve Young, Fran Tarkington). If Manziel goes to a team with a good line, solid RB, warm weather or dome and dime athletic WRs, he can do fine. Minnesota would be a good landing spot.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:34 pm

DJB wrote:Boom or bust no in between for me. Simple as that.

THIS ^^^^^ 25% - BOOM 75% - BUST
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

knotts4372
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby knotts4372 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 am

Cult of Dionysus wrote:Smart scramblers don't necessarily get hurt (see Russel Wilson, Steve Young, Fran Tarkington). If Manziel goes to a team with a good line, solid RB, warm weather or dome and dime athletic WRs, he can do fine. Minnesota would be a good landing spot.
dear god imagine the outrageous price ppl will want for cordarelle Patterson in fantasy league if manziel goes there :wall:
DLF hall of famers 16 teams 25 man roster
http://football29.myfantasyleague.com/2 ... =07&F=0016

IRONCLAD 16 teams 40 man rosters http://www.fleaflicker.com/nfl/leagues/133985/teams/

@donnynutz on twitter

heyfeefellskee
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby heyfeefellskee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:33 am

Just read an interesting article on CBS about Jay Farmer lovin' some Manziel.... does Manziel landing with the Browns make him more or less valuable in your opinion?

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:36 am

I don't see the scrambling comparisons to Vick or Russell Wilson. Vick was much faster (4.25 40) and Russell plays much smarter. I don't think his college game will carry over well to the NFL at all. But if I'm wrong, at least he'll be exciting to watch occasionally. I'm just not investing a pick in him.
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:39 pm

The Browns are my ideal landing spot for Manziel. Gordon and Cameron would be huge for him.

Cult of Dionysus
MVP
MVP

Postby Cult of Dionysus » Sun May 04, 2014 3:18 am

There's a reason why all other AFC Central teams have tall, strong, big-armed QBs... Adverse weather and aggressive defenses require those types of QBs. Never understood* why the Brownies took Colt "Noodle Arm" McCoy. And Manziel isn't a huge upgrade in terms of size or arm strength...

Manziel needs to pray he gets drafted by a warm weather or domed team, like Houston or Minnesota.

*Actually it's cuz their front office has got absolutely no clue.

Amarok
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Amarok » Sun May 04, 2014 8:11 am

Just watched a few games of tape and I came away with one major flag. Is it just me, or does he have a ridiculous, baseball-style delivery? I feel like it takes him twice as long to throw the ball as other QBs. CBs in the NFL are a ton faster than in college, and I feel like the CBs will see the throw coming from a mile away.
14 Team Dynasty League with 21 man rosters
.5 PPR, 4 pts/Passing TD, Scored w/ Fractionals
Start 1 QB/2 RB/3 WR/1TE/2 Flex/1 K/1 Def

QB: M. Stafford; E. Manning; R. Griffin III
RB: L. McCoy; A. Abdullah; A. Ellington; R. Mathews; C. Michael;
WR: C. Johnson; D. Thomas; Antonio Brown; J. Gordon; P. Harvin; D. Adams; D. Moncrief; J. Strong
TE: J. Thomas; L. Green; E. Ebron
K: C. Sturgis
DEF: Jacksonville