Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Will Manziel's game translate to the NFL

Postby guyatwork37 » Mon May 05, 2014 3:52 pm

No. No it will not.

He's the new Tebow. No thank you to that experiment.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Mon May 05, 2014 4:08 pm

Uh...you guys remember that Tebow was pretty startable in fantasy, right? And Manziel is better. Why do we care about anything but fantasy points?

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue May 06, 2014 6:13 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:Uh...you guys remember that Tebow was pretty startable in fantasy, right? And Manziel is better. Why do we care about anything but fantasy points?
Because a guy has to actually be playing consistently to get those fantasy points.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:54 am

Lotto4Life wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:Uh...you guys remember that Tebow was pretty startable in fantasy, right? And Manziel is better. Why do we care about anything but fantasy points?
Because a guy has to actually be playing consistently to get those fantasy points.
Man, I wish I had the unwaivering surety in myself, that you have in yourself, to predict chronic injuries to players. It would make this hobby a lot easier. Must be nice.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Tue May 06, 2014 11:25 am

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
Lotto4Life wrote:
Man, I wish I had the unwaivering surety in myself, that you have in yourself, to predict chronic injuries to players. It would make this hobby a lot easier. Must be nice.
Who said anything about injuries? Tebow was startable in fantasy for about 8 games. It didn't last long because he wasn't a good NFL QB. So while all we care about is fantasy points, those won't last long if a player isn't a good NFL player as well.

RossOfTheYear
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RossOfTheYear » Tue May 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Manziel and Tebow are only comparable in that they both ran in college. There is almost nothing else in common with them at all.

Tebow College Stats - passing
Year School Conf Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
2006 Florida SEC QB 14 22 33 66.7 358 10.8 12.5 5 1 201.7
2007 Florida SEC QB 13 234 350 66.9 3286 9.4 10.4 32 6 172.5
2008 Florida SEC QB 14 192 298 64.4 2746 9.2 10.6 30 4 172.4
2009 Florida SEC QB 14 213 314 67.8 2895 9.2 9.8 21 5 164.2

Manziel College Stats - passing
Year School Conf Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
2012 Texas A&M SEC QB 13 295 434 68.0 3706 8.5 8.8 26 9 155.3
2013 Texas A&M SEC QB 299 428 69.9 4100 9.6 9.9 37 13 172.8

Tebow College Stats - rushing
Year School Conf Pos G Att Yds Avg TD
*2006 Florida SEC QB 14 89 469 5.3 8
*2007 Florida SEC QB 13 210 895 4.3 23
*2008 Florida SEC QB 14 176 673 3.8 12
*2009 Florida SEC QB 14 217 910 4.2 14

Manziel College Stats - rushing
Year School Conf Pos G Att Yds Avg TD
2012 Texas A&M SEC QB 13 201 1410 7.0 21
2013 Texas A&M SEC QB 142 752 5.3 9

stats taken from: http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... bow-1.html and http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/pla ... iel-1.html

basically, Tebow's best year passing he went 234/350, 66.9%, for 3286 yards, 32 TDs, and 6 INTs in 13 games. His best rushing year he had 210 carries for 895 yards, with a 4.3 ypc, and 23 TDs in 13 games.

In comparison, Manziel's best year passing he went 299/428, 69.9%, for 4100 yards, 37 TDs, and 13 INTs. His best rushing year he had 201 carries for 1410 yards, 7.0 ypc, and 21 TDs.

Maziel's passing got better from year 1 to year 2 (2012-2013), Tebow's got worse (2007-2008, and beyond). Maziel beats Tebow in every category except size. Just because they both rushed in college, doesn't mean they're even close to the same QB or that they're going to have comparable careers
Game of Jones
10 team Dynasty, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST, 1 K
Ryan, Palmer, Wentz, Prescott
Gurley, Bell, Martin, Forte, Rawls, Henry, Don Jackson
Julio Jones, Evans, Benjamin, Crabtree, Watkins (IR), Diggs, Dorsett, Enunwa
Kelce, Henry
Carolina
Tucker

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 pm

Lotto4Life wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:
Lotto4Life wrote: Because a guy has to actually be playing consistently to get those fantasy points.
Who said anything about injuries? Tebow was startable in fantasy for about 8 games. It didn't last long because he wasn't a good NFL QB. So while all we care about is fantasy points, those won't last long if a player isn't a good NFL player as well.
McDaniels wore out his welcome quickly and Tebow (besides just sucking) lost his #1 believer in the Bronco's organization. If Manziel goes in the top-15 like most expect, he's going to have a long leash and an organization that believes in him behind him.

Nevermind the fact that he's a much better passer and football player than Tebow. He's going to get lots of starts, and he's going to score fantasy points when he's healthy. At least, he's more likely to be a difference maker than anyone else this year.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:05 pm

I meant tebow with regard to asolutely blowing donkey balls in the NFL, not gameplay.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:15 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:I meant tebow with regard to asolutely blowing donkey balls in the NFL, not gameplay.
Why does it matter, if it results in fantasy points? Seriously. I don't agree with your take on Manziel, but even if you're right--who cares? He's still going to start and be given every chance possible for years.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:32 pm

Because if he sucks at football in the NFL, he wont put up relevant fantasy points?

I don't quite understand how you can say "yeah he might suck, but he'll put up points!" 200 yards and a td or two won't cut it.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue May 06, 2014 7:54 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:Because if he sucks at football in the NFL, he wont put up relevant fantasy points?

I don't quite understand how you can say "yeah he might suck, but he'll put up points!" 200 yards and a td or two won't cut it.
I think you're misunderstanding me. His skill-set is going to lead to fantasy points, I don't really see how it couldn't. It doesn't mean it will lead to wins. Like Cam his rookie year. Tons of people were saying he wasn't a good NFL QB and wouldn't make the Panthers a winner, but fantasy owners didn't really care as long as he showed enough promise to keep the starting job. I thought that's what you meant when you said he wouldn't succeed in the NFL. Not sure how you can watch him play football and think he won't at least score a lot of fantasy points, even if he doesn't win games. He might be a disaster in the NFL, but he'll score fantasy points.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:02 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
guyatwork37 wrote:Because if he sucks at football in the NFL, he wont put up relevant fantasy points?

I think you're misunderstanding me. His skill-set is going to lead to fantasy points, I don't really see how it couldn't. It doesn't mean it will lead to wins. Like Cam his rookie year. Tons of people were saying he wasn't a good NFL QB and wouldn't make the Panthers a winner, but fantasy owners didn't really care as long as he showed enough promise to keep the starting job. I thought that's what you meant when you said he wouldn't succeed in the NFL. Not sure how you can watch him play football and think he won't at least score a lot of fantasy points, even if he doesn't win games. He might be a disaster in the NFL, but he'll score fantasy points.

I say he won't succeed in the NFL because he makes poor decisions in the pocket and tries to run out of every jam. That works in college, but in the NFL, his poor decisions will lead to interceptions and sacks and that doesn't translate to fantasy points in my book or a long NFL career.

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 pm

I think Manziel will adapt well to the NFL. He played backyard football in college because it worked in college. He did more in 2 years than a lot if guys do in 4. Just because he's white an runs does not make him atom Tebow. Manziel can spin it, Tebow looked like he was doing the shot-put. I hope he'll adapt to the NFL and I'm taking him at 1.01.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Tue May 06, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm a believer. Completely sold.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue May 06, 2014 9:22 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:

I say he won't succeed in the NFL because he makes poor decisions in the pocket and tries to run out of every jam. That works in college, but in the NFL, his poor decisions will lead to interceptions and sacks and that doesn't translate to fantasy points in my book or a long NFL career.
I don't think he makes poor decisions so much as he tries to do too much. Let me rephrase that. I think he's knowingly, purposely making what would be termed "poor decisions" in the NFL, because he can get away with it in college. It worked for him, and it won him a Heisman. He's a smart guy, and I think he's very coachable. He's not going to run around like a chicken with it's head cut off in the NFL. Do you think he's unaware of the fact that he's 5'11 and 215 lbs?

He doesn't have Stafford's cannon or anything, but he can make every throw on a rope when he sets his base and let's it rip from the pocket. He can also make those throws on the run and from differing platforms and at different throwing angles (kind of a rare quality that guys like Favre and Romo both have), even if he made them when he sometimes should have taken the check down or less risky throw in college. He's also got the best deep ball touch (note again, not arm, that goes to Carr in a landslide) in the class, which isn't paramount for NFL or FF success but certainly helps.

He got caught looking for the big play ALL the time in college. It's why he unnecessarily hops around in the pocket sometimes, even bumping into his own linemen, as he looks for the TD rather than the designed check-down. You either believe he can learn to play within the designed confines of a pro offense or you don't. I think he can. He just didn't need to in college, he could dance around, prolong the play, make an ill-advised throw across the field and score TD's at will. Not because it's all he's capable of doing, but because in college it worked and led his team to victories.