Next tier of QB

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Next tier of QB

Postby gmoftheyear » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:14 pm

So, Who after Bortles, Manziel, and Bridgewater does everyone on here seeing having the best shot of making an impact. Specifically, I'm talking about McCarron, Murray, Garropollo, Mettenberger, and Carr. Would love everyone's input on these guys. Thanks.
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

gmoftheyear
Captain
Captain

Re: Next tier of QB

Postby gmoftheyear » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:25 pm

Wow. Guess no one is scouting these Quarterbacks...........
QB- R. Wilson, Garoppolo, Fields, Ridder, Rudolph, Hooker
RB- Ekeler, Mostert, Pacheco, Dillon, Dobbins I/R
WR- Metcalf, Pickens, Higgins, DJ Moore
TE- Kincaid, Higbee
K- Aubrey
Def- Denver, Pittsburgh

No PPR, Start 2 QBs, 2 RBS, 2 WRS, 1 TE, 1 FLEX,1 K, 1 DEF/ST. 6 pts all touchdowns
2002 Points Champion, 2007 HTH Champion, 2014 HTH Champion

JoshGordonsDealer
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby JoshGordonsDealer » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:27 pm

For me, a whole lot of it depends on landing spots. For all of the players that you listed as "Next Tier," I'd be willing to take a shot if they landed with the Dolphins, the Jets, the Texans, the Vikings, the Browns, etc...

Honestly though, I think there is a big drop off after the big three and then another big drop off after Carr.

henry1jg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby henry1jg » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Of that group, I prefer Murray & Mettenberger
Barrow Snowmen- 14 team - 0.5 PPR, IDP - Yr 19
Jacksonville Jaguars - 32 team - Real GM - Yr 13
Barrow Snowmen #2 - 14 team - SF, PPR - Yr 2
Jimmy Graham Cracker wrote:Don't let your recency bias affect your judgment.

pack4ever22
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pack4ever22 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:09 pm

After doing my due dilligence and watching a couple games on each of these guys my personal favorites after the big three are David Fales, Mettenberger, and Carr. Then maybe a few guys like Brett Smith. I really like the potential in the big three, I rank them Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, but after that it gets pretty sketchy for fantasy purposes. Absolutely loved the tape I watched on Fales, he's so fluid, comfortable in the pocket, great reads, and pinpoint accuracy. His knock is arm strength, he can place the deep ball well but it lacks ideal velocity, but if he can improve his arm strength a little I really like him as a pro passer. I love Mettenberger's arm talent and composure under pressure, he sometimes makes questionable decisions but I think he could be a solid NFL passer with Joe Flacco upside. Love Carr's arm talent and intangebles but when I watch him play everything just looks rushed, he gets antsy in the pocket and rushes throws when feeling pressure, but If he can just learn to calm down, has some serious upside. Brett Smith is a long shot but he has all kinds of ability and all a lot of confidence on the field, decision making is a huge concern though, but could be a solid flyer. I'm really not a fan of the rest of the guys in this class, and I have serious concerns about even my 2nd tier. I like their game well enough in a clean pocket but Garappollo and Murray lack pocket presence and get really rattled by the pass rush. I think a guy like Bryn Renner might have a shot but most of the rest of the guys just don't seem to have the talent or mental makeup to be an effective player in the NFL. FYI, not a McCarron fan at all, easily outside my top ten QB's.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:01 pm

My favorite 2nd tier QB in terms of value for draft position is definitely Garropollo. I'm targeting him in the 3rd round of all my leagues.

He is fluid. He has the confidence and pocket presence like none other in this class. I know a lot of people will try to discount the numbers he put up since it was against easier competition, but I like his chances of making it at the next level.
The standard is the standard.

Camperhead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Camperhead » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:22 pm

pack4ever22 wrote:After doing my due dilligence and watching a couple games on each of these guys my personal favorites after the big three are David Fales, Mettenberger, and Carr. Then maybe a few guys like Brett Smith. I really like the potential in the big three, I rank them Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, but after that it gets pretty sketchy for fantasy purposes. Absolutely loved the tape I watched on Fales, he's so fluid, comfortable in the pocket, great reads, and pinpoint accuracy. His knock is arm strength, he can place the deep ball well but it lacks ideal velocity, but if he can improve his arm strength a little I really like him as a pro passer. I love Mettenberger's arm talent and composure under pressure, he sometimes makes questionable decisions but I think he could be a solid NFL passer with Joe Flacco upside. Love Carr's arm talent and intangebles but when I watch him play everything just looks rushed, he gets antsy in the pocket and rushes throws when feeling pressure, but If he can just learn to calm down, has some serious upside. Brett Smith is a long shot but he has all kinds of ability and all a lot of confidence on the field, decision making is a huge concern though, but could be a solid flyer. I'm really not a fan of the rest of the guys in this class, and I have serious concerns about even my 2nd tier. I like their game well enough in a clean pocket but Garappollo and Murray lack pocket presence and get really rattled by the pass rush. I think a guy like Bryn Renner might have a shot but most of the rest of the guys just don't seem to have the talent or mental makeup to be an effective player in the NFL. FYI, not a McCarron fan at all, easily outside my top ten QB's.
A lot of this reads like what Matt Waldman has written about the 2014 QB class, and -- though I try to avoid putting too much weight on the opinions of any single evaluator -- I tend to agree. I too really like Fales (who Waldman currently ranks as the No. 4 QB in his pre-draft version of the Rookie Scouting Profile) as a late-round value. Assuming that picking at 1.10 in a superflex league means I'll likely miss out on Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel, I may just be content to stay away from QBs until the third or fourth round with my eyes on Fales.

Based on the extensive analysis and film evidence Waldman has compiled, I'm starting to view Garappollo as Blaine Gabbert 2.0. The "phantom pressure" similarities are in plain view.
10-Team Superflex League, 25 rosters spots
ROSTERS CUT TO 15 MID-AUGUST
ROOKIE/FREE AGENT DRAFT LATE AUGUST

Lineup requirements: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 Def, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
TD=6, TDP=4, 15 yds rush/rec=1, 35 yds pass=1, 2 rec=1

QB - Mahomes, Wilson, Bridgewater, Hurts, Heinicke, Eason
RB - Kamara, Chubb, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Dillon
WR/TE - Hopkins, Godwin, A.J. Brown, Sutton, Lamb, Harry, A.J. Green, B.Edwards, P.Williams, G.Davis
K* - Tucker, Prater
DT* - Ravens, Buccaneers
* two of each required per league rules

LEAGUE CHAMPS 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020

pack4ever22
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pack4ever22 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:01 pm

Camperhead wrote: A lot of this reads like what Matt Waldman has written about the 2014 QB class, and -- though I try to avoid putting too much weight on the opinions of any single evaluator -- I tend to agree. I too really like Fales (who Waldman currently ranks as the No. 4 QB in his pre-draft version of the Rookie Scouting Profile) as a late-round value. Assuming that picking at 1.10 in a superflex league means I'll likely miss out on Bortles, Bridgewater and Manziel, I may just be content to stay away from QBs until the third or fourth round with my eyes on Fales.

Based on the extensive analysis and film evidence Waldman has compiled, I'm starting to view Garappollo as Blaine Gabbert 2.0. The "phantom pressure" similarities are in plain view.
I did get some of this from Waldman, but for the most part I watch my own tape and make my own evaluations, when watching the 2nd tier QB prospects, the main things that jumped out at me were how much I liked Fales, and how much Carr and Garappollo struggle with pressure, definitely feeling the Gabbert comparison as well, especially with Garappollo. I think the first three QB's will have solid fantasy careers, but after them the only one I truly like for fantasy purposes is David Fales, I honestly believe that he could turn into a Drew Brees type passer later in his career.

Patmos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Patmos » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:04 pm

Mettenberger to either the Vikings or Cardinals would cause me to be interested.
If a QB-needy team passes on a QB in the 1st and takes Garappolo in the 2nd, I'm interested.
aka Indy Speedway in the Lead Dog Championship League

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:42 pm

henry1jg wrote:Of that group, I prefer Murray & Mettenberger
I agree with henry on Murray and Mettenberger. Both of these guys hurt their knees during the season so most people won't be looking at them until the end of rookie drafts or even as free agents. Mettenberger reminds me of Rothlesberger and Flacco, big prototypical QB's without much mobility and with a big arm. Probably will get drafted to sit and be a #2 for a couple years maybe to the Vikings, Cardinals or New England if Mallett gets traded.

If Murray was 6'4" and hadn't just hurt his knee he would get drafted in the top 10. But he is only 6' and isn't super athletic. But I really like how he throws the ball, accuracy, football smarts to read defenses and really productive in college. To me he seems like a smaller version of Matt Ryan.

Camperhead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Camperhead » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:01 pm

After seeing a report regarding Mettenberger's performance at the LSU Pro Day today (and reading that Ron Jaworski, one of the better QB evaluators in the business, has him as the No. 2 QB in the draft) I think there's a decent chance that Mettenberger challenges Carr for No. 4 on my list.
10-Team Superflex League, 25 rosters spots
ROSTERS CUT TO 15 MID-AUGUST
ROOKIE/FREE AGENT DRAFT LATE AUGUST

Lineup requirements: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 Def, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
TD=6, TDP=4, 15 yds rush/rec=1, 35 yds pass=1, 2 rec=1

QB - Mahomes, Wilson, Bridgewater, Hurts, Heinicke, Eason
RB - Kamara, Chubb, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Dillon
WR/TE - Hopkins, Godwin, A.J. Brown, Sutton, Lamb, Harry, A.J. Green, B.Edwards, P.Williams, G.Davis
K* - Tucker, Prater
DT* - Ravens, Buccaneers
* two of each required per league rules

LEAGUE CHAMPS 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020