Why is Brandin Cooks so special?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Why is Brandin Cooks so special?

Postby Defender » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:01 pm

I get that he's fast, but what else? What do you see in him?
The standard is the standard.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Why is Brandin Cooks so special?

Postby italian_stallion21 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:02 pm

He can catch too!

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:21 pm

It's easier for me to identify the things keep him from being really special -

He's under 5'10" and weighs less than 190 pounds.

Even though he's fast and explosive and has good-sized hands and runs good routes, there's no getting around the fact that he's short and under-sized. On the plus side, he's one of the younger WRs in the draft. His shuttle time was the best at the Combine for a receiver so he has excellent agility as well.

He could be very good and he would represent good value taken at the right spot.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:53 pm

bob2005 wrote:It's easier for me to identify the things keep him from being really special -

Even though he's fast and explosive and has good-sized hands and runs good routes, there's no getting around the fact that he's short and under-sized. On the plus side, he's one of the younger WRs in the draft. His shuttle time was the best at the Combine for a receiver so he has excellent agility as well.

He could be very good and he would represent good value taken at the right spot.
What is the right spot for you?

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:00 pm

He has a chance to go late first to mid second round range. He's explosive with his stop-start ability and fantastic hands. Reminds me of Steve Smith (CAR, BAL) in that regard. Some say he's better than Tavon Austin in several ways, such as route running and the ability to simply 'get open'. He's also bigger (but who save for Trindon Holliday isn't?). He won't cost the the same premium draft-capital the Rams spent for Austin, so he'll be a relative bargain if he is everything people say he is. He dominated at Oregon State and has now passed the measurables test with flying colors. Not too many knocks on him other than he's not the ideal 'outside' receiver that people might prefer.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

teambadknees
Starter
Starter

Postby teambadknees » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Misfit74 wrote:He has a chance to go late first to mid second round range. He's explosive with his stop-start ability and fantastic hands. Reminds me of Steve Smith (CAR, BAL) in that regard. Some say he's better than Tavon Austin in several ways, such as route running and the ability to simply 'get open'. He's also bigger (but who save for Trindon Holliday isn't?). He won't cost the the same premium draft-capital the Rams spent for Austin, so he'll be a relative bargain if he is everything people say he is. He dominated at Oregon State and has now passed the measurables test with flying colors. Not too many knocks on him other than he's not the ideal 'outside' receiver that people might prefer.
This. He was wonderful at the combine and dominated at Oregon State at a very young age. He has Antonio Brown upside. I will most likely target the bigger guys in his tier first, Robinson, Matthews (maybe Adams and Moncrief depending on location) but I would not be disappointed at all if I land Cooks with a later first round pick. I think he is one of the safest small receivers in this draft.
The Bad Knees 12 team PPR TE Premium
QB: k Cousins, B Osweiler, R Wilson
RB: Clement*, J Connor*, J Crockett, M Jones, D Lewis, B Oliver, D Robinson, L Taliaferro, C Thompson, Z Zenner
WR: T Boyd*, John Brown, Corey Davis*, J Edleman, D Hopkins, J Janis, Perriman, R Randle, Albert Wilson
TE: C Gillmore, OJ Howard*,V McDonald, M Pruitt, J Reed, W Tye

The Waterboy 12 team PPR, Defensive big play
2014 Runner-Up 2015 Champs
QB: K Cousins, M Ryan
RB: D Cobb, M Jones, D Lewis, R Matthews, D Murray,J Randle, T Rawls, B Sankey, S Ware, J White, D Woodhead, Z Zenner
WR: D Adams, K Allen, DGB, D Bryant, A Cooper, D Thomas
TE: E Ebron, H Miller, A Sefarian-Jenkins
DL: J Casey, G Hardy, JPP, S Tuitt, O Vernon
LB: S Anthony, J Collins, J Freeman, J Hicks, M Kendricks, R Shazier, Telvin Smith
DB: M Barron, D Lowery, TJ McDonald, H Smith

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:47 pm

Lightning quick,explosive,long speed,great hands,tough and despite height wins contested balls and at the catch point. Only knock on him is his size, I think he is a more impressive prospect than Tavon Austin.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:02 pm

Where were you ranking him before the combine?

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:53 pm

Defender wrote:Where were you ranking him before the combine?
It's too early for me to put together my official rankings list but I can only say for sure Watkins,Evans and Mathews are my top 3 right now. When I put my list together I doubt he slips past 6-7.

lifesyourcup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lifesyourcup » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:48 pm

Elite speed, Elite agility. Used in all distances on the field, especially the Redzone. He's not your typical "small, speedy" WR.

Emkay21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Emkay21 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:13 am

So happy to see this thread. Been thinking this this past week. I don't think he will be as good as people are saying. Landing spot, as with everyone, is huge, but overall I don't see it.
10 Team Dynasty 9th Year
2QB / 2RB / 4WR / Flex / TE

QB (2) - Goff, Kyler (Garoppolo)
RB (2) - Chubb, Henry (Darrell Henderson, McKinnon)
WR (4) - Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Cooper Kupp, KeKe (DeDe, AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Miles Boykin, Andy Isabella, Dionte Johnson, Preston Williams, Randall Cobb, Marquis Goodwin, Antonio Callaway)
TE (1) - Kittle (Njoku, Hockenson, Brate)
Flex (1) - Tarik Cohen

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 am

Defender wrote:
bob2005 wrote:It's easier for me to identify the things keep him from being really special -

What is the right spot for you?
I'm in a superflex league so there's a premium on QBs, but he would be a very good value in the early 2nd round or around the 14th overall pick. His landing spot could move him up a few spots. Also, if he's a first round pick in the NFL draft, I would consider him towards the end of the 1st round. It's a deep draft loaded with WR prospects this year, so the risk of missing on Cooks if he hits big is offset by the probability of hitting on another WR that will not be too far behind Cooks.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:57 pm

Personally I see Eddie Royal but he is def a talented player. Very good separation.

ghost
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ghost » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:52 pm

KingsKing wrote:Lightning quick,explosive,long speed,great hands,tough and despite height wins contested balls and at the catch point. Only knock on him is his size, I think he is a more impressive prospect than Tavon Austin.
I couldn't agree with you more. He does everything exceptionally well. His YAC is impressive as well as being durable. He's at least as good as Evans when it comes to making tough contested catches. No baggage.

ghost
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ghost » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:56 pm

ghost wrote:
KingsKing wrote:Lightning quick,explosive,long speed,great hands,tough and despite height wins contested balls and at the catch point. Only knock on him is his size, I think he is a more impressive prospect than Tavon Austin.
I couldn't agree with you more. He does everything exceptionally well. His YAC is impressive as well as being durable. He's at least as good as Evans when it comes to making tough contested catches. No baggage.
Reminds me of a smaller Torry Holt.