Why is Brandin Cooks so special?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Why is Brandin Cooks so special?

Postby Dingram » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:20 am

ghost wrote:
KingsKing wrote:Lightning quick,explosive,long speed,great hands,tough and despite height wins contested balls and at the catch point. Only knock on him is his size, I think he is a more impressive prospect than Tavon Austin.
I couldn't agree with you more. He does everything exceptionally well. His YAC is impressive as well as being durable. He's at least as good as Evans when it comes to making tough contested catches. No baggage.
Tough to say he is at least as good as Evans on contested. There are countless situations where the size of Evans will come into play as opposed to Tavon Austin like receiver

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:50 pm

Defender wrote:
bob2005 wrote:It's easier for me to identify the things keep him from being really special -

He's under 5'10" and weighs less than 190 pounds.

Even though he's fast and explosive and has good-sized hands and runs good routes, there's no getting around the fact that he's short and under-sized. On the plus side, he's one of the younger WRs in the draft. His shuttle time was the best at the Combine for a receiver so he has excellent agility as well.

He could be very good and he would represent good value taken at the right spot.
What is the right spot for you?
I'm not as high on him as most, late 1st or early 2nd round. When he ran the 40 at the combine I was having flash backs…..he looked exactly like T. Ausin. On tape he also looks like Austin even though he is 2" taller and 15 lbs heavier, he plays smaller then his size. Since he won't get drafted as high as Austin some team is going to get a very similar player (I think Cooks is better) at a much reduced price.

Since I won't be willing to pay the price to get Cooks in the rookie draft there is another very similar player to him that can be had in the 4th or 5th round of rookie drafts. Bruce Ellington is a guy that is of similar size but more athletic, put up similar #'s in the 3 cone, short shuttle, bench press and will likely be running a similar 40 time on his pro day on April 2nd. Because he can be had so late Ellington is a guy I will be looking at late in rookie drafts.

ghost
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ghost » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:34 pm

Dingram wrote:
ghost wrote:
KingsKing wrote:Lightning quick,explosive,long speed,great hands,tough and despite height wins contested balls and at the catch point. Only knock on him is his size, I think he is a more impressive prospect than Tavon Austin.
I couldn't agree with you more. He does everything exceptionally well. His YAC is impressive as well as being durable. He's at least as good as Evans when it comes to making tough contested catches. No baggage.
Tough to say he is at least as good as Evans on contested. There are countless situations where the size of Evans will come into play as opposed to Tavon Austin like receiver
Those are mismatches and Evans will get those opportunities a lot in the NFL. I think the avg. cornerback is 5' 11" and under 200 lbs. in the NFL. At 6' 4", 225 lbs, Evans clearly has the size advantage going for him. You are right.

I was talking more in general. Cooks is smaller than the avg. cornerback so he may not get the opportunities guys with Evans' size will, especially in the red zone. But he has that quality of attacking the ball instead of waiting for it to come to him. He has that uncanny ability to adjust to a poorly thrown pass and come down with it with DB's draped all over him. Just like Evans. Perhaps on a smaller scale, lol.

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:24 am

Great article on rotoviz comparing him to DeSean Jackson. Seems like Cooks might even be better than DeSean...
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

smastroi
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smastroi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 am

KingsKing wrote:
Defender wrote:Where were you ranking him before the combine?
It's too early for me to put together my official rankings list but I can only say for sure Watkins,Evans and Mathews are my top 3 right now. When I put my list together I doubt he slips past 6-7.
I've had Mathews as my #3 WR and all the people in my league think I'm nuts. Not sure how I haven't won more. lol As for Cooks I agree he's in the 6/7 range for myself. I'd be happy to have him with the 1.09 pick in my draft.
10 Team, 0.5 ppr - 3 pt passing TDs (2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2RB/WR/TE) Roster cut down to 10 July 31
QB: Carr, Mariotia, Dalton
RB: J.Hill, C.Hyde, A. Abdullah, M. Jones
WR: A.Robinson, M. Evans, S. Watkins, D. Parker, S. Diggs, K. Martin
TE: Kelce

12 Team, 1 ppr - 6 pt passing TDs (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1RB/WR/TE)
QB: Luck, Palmer, Goff
RB: L.Bell, T.Gurley, M.Gordon, David Johnson, K.Williams
WR: B.Cooks, D.Parker, L.Treadwell.Baldwin, M.Thomas (NO), D.Harris, C.Johnson, C.Conley, JJ Nelson, J.Hardy
TE: G.Barnridge, M.Bennett
2017 Picks: 2* 2nd round

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:47 pm

smastroi wrote:
KingsKing wrote:
Defender wrote:Where were you ranking him before the combine?
It's too early for me to put together my official rankings list but I can only say for sure Watkins,Evans and Mathews are my top 3 right now. When I put my list together I doubt he slips past 6-7.
I've had Mathews as my #3 WR and all the people in my league think I'm nuts. Not sure how I haven't won more. lol As for Cooks I agree he's in the 6/7 range for myself. I'd be happy to have him with the 1.09 pick in my draft.
I have Cooks miles ahead of Mathews. Unfortunately a lot of people are joining the bandwagon.

oogieboogie
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oogieboogie » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 pm

Fast, scores touchdowns, incredible agility and balance, great vision...watch the tape.

Tavon Austin is only 75% of Brandin Cooks.
12 teams - PPR
1QB, 2-4RB, 3-5WR, 1-3TE

QB-Ryan, Tua, Fitz, Winston
RB-Zeke, Gurley, Conner, Henry, McKinnon, Drake
WR-Adams, Cooper, Woods, Parker, Pittman, M.Jones, DJax, MVS, Fitz, Foster
TE-Cook, Alie-Cox, Fells, Doyle, Okwuegbunam
Draft Picks: 2021 1,2,3,4,4

League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2019

bradolock
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby bradolock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:07 am

Can play on the outside not just the slot. Has beaten taller DBs for contested balls on multiple occasions. Dominated in a hard college conference. Obviously a deep threat and runs routes great. Has everything except the height. The Antonio Browns and Desean Jacksons have been successful at NFL level and they did not have the production or physical ability that Cooks has had during college.
QB: Aaron Rodgers
RB: Adrian Peterson, Zac Stacy, Rashad Jennings, Danny Woodhead, Latavius Murray, Marcus Lattimore, James Starks, Dion Lewis
WR: Calvin Johnson, Torrey Smith, Reggie Wayne, Julian Edelman, Stevie Johnson, Danario Alexander
TE: Jordan Reed, Levine Toilolo
D/ST: Kansas City

dco002
Role Player
Role Player

Postby dco002 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:38 pm

Nothing. He's not special. One of these guys "reminds us of Steve Smith" every year. Cooks isn't any more special than the last 8 of them. I still believe Tavon is going to have the best pro career, because he is what he is and the Rams accept that and will use him in that way. Any team planning on making him a starting - every down - outside wr will be disappointed. Every once in a while someone bucks the trend but id put my money on Cooks NOT being the one.

That's not to say i HATE him but he'll be drafted far before where i have him ranked, around WR10.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:37 pm

I have him at WR#9. Is that below average?
The standard is the standard.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Yeah probably. Most seem to have him around 5 from what I've seen. I have him at 6. He's like Tavon but good.

Sejjr
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Sejjr » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 am

He is overrated for sure. Go watch him against Oregon and an NFL caliber CB. He was owned. Tavon Austin was much more impressive in college.
Non-PPR IDP Dynasty
QB- Brady, Cousins, Hoyer, A. Smith, Mettenberger
RB - L.Bell, L. Miller, B. Pierce, J. Todman, B. Cunningham, B. Oliver,
WR - Megatron, AJ Green, J. Gordon, A. Roberts, B. Butler, S. Watkins, J. Boykin
TE- J. Cameron, J. Thomas
Taxi: Charles Johnson, J. McKinnon, P. Richardson

lifesyourcup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lifesyourcup » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:47 am

Sejjr wrote:He is overrated for sure. Go watch him against Oregon and an NFL caliber CB. He was owned. Tavon Austin was much more impressive in college.
Tavon was a gimmick player in college. Cooks actually ran routes all over the field.

Oh, and this is why Cooks is so special:

Emkay21
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Emkay21 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 am

lifesyourcup wrote:
Sejjr wrote:He is overrated for sure. Go watch him against Oregon and an NFL caliber CB. He was owned. Tavon Austin was much more impressive in college.
Tavon was a gimmick player in college. Cooks actually ran routes all over the field.

So he is special because college kids can't tackle?
10 Team Dynasty 9th Year
2QB / 2RB / 4WR / Flex / TE

QB (2) - Goff, Kyler (Garoppolo)
RB (2) - Chubb, Henry (Darrell Henderson, McKinnon)
WR (4) - Davante Adams, Jarvis Landry, Cooper Kupp, KeKe (DeDe, AJ Brown, Deebo Samuel, Miles Boykin, Andy Isabella, Dionte Johnson, Preston Williams, Randall Cobb, Marquis Goodwin, Antonio Callaway)
TE (1) - Kittle (Njoku, Hockenson, Brate)
Flex (1) - Tarik Cohen

lifesyourcup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lifesyourcup » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am

Emkay21 wrote:
lifesyourcup wrote:

So he is special because college kids can't tackle?
College kids couldn't tackle Tavon either.