Post-Combine / Pre-Draft Rankings

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Post-Combine / Pre-Draft Rankings

Postby Vendetta » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:46 am

One month until the draft and I've made some minor adjustments to my rankings and expanded the list for three rounds (12 team leagues)

Tier 1
1. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson

- Despite the disappointing showing in Jacob Feldman's combine analysis articles, there hasn't been anything drastic happen to bump Watkins out of the top spot.

Tier 2
2. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
3. Odell Beckham, Jr., WR, LSU

- OBJ has moved ahead of Matthews on my list. I was late to the party on him during the season but his name keeps showing up all over the place with very few negative words directed towards him. He appears like he's locked in as one of the top WR picks.

Tier 3
4. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt
5. Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State
6. Cody Latimer, WR, Indiana

- Three of my favorite mid-round WR targets fall in Tier 3. Latimer makes his first appearance in my list (thank you Mr. Waldman). I've affectionately been calling him 'the ninja' because he's been there the whole time and I've just never noticed him, he even fell through the cracks in DLF's 3 round rookie mocks to date. Rotoworld has let the cat out of the bag though. But shhhh....let him stay off the radar and he might be available later than this.

Tier 4
7. Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
8. Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State
9. Charles Sims, RB, West Virginia
10. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
11. Marqise Lee, WR, USC
12. Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona
13. Bishop Sankey, RB, Washington

- I've cooled on the RBs this year and more often than not, will defer to a WR if there's a tie hence why my first backs don't appear until Tier 3. Ebron falls slightly because I'm skeptical of taking rookie TEs high in drafts but his upside is worth a dice-roll in the late 1st. Sankey falls the furthest but I still like him but the rise of others like Robinson and Latimer pushes him down the board.

Tier 5
14. Donte Moncrief, WR, Ole Miss
15. Jeremy Hill, RB, LSU
16. Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State
17. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
18. Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson
19. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
20. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
21. Tre Mason, RB, Auburn
22. Isaiah Crowell, RB, Alabama State
23. Terrance West, RB, Towson

- This is essentially the boom-or-bust tier which mostly encompasses the entire 2nd round. I'm probably lower than the majority on Mason but RBs that aren't good in pass protection won't score high marks in my book (see Montee Ball). Isaiah Crowell = Christine Michael 2.0? (ie - twice the red flags but perhaps twice the talent also?). Terrance West is a very intriguing prospect. Is he that good or was his competition that bad? That's the most important question.

Tier 6
24. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
25. Marion Grice, RB, Arizona State
26. Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech
27. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
28. Blake Bortles, QB, UCF
29. Jarvis Landry, WR, LSU
30. Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame
31. Devonta Freeman, RB, Florida State

- The devaluation of the QB position in fantasy means that my first one doesn't appear until the final pick of the 2nd round. With so many young players in the league most fantasy owners will have quality QBs on their rosters already and the need for guys like Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles etc. isn't high. I don't care at all about his pro day, Bridgewater was the top rated prospect the entire season, that shouldn't have changed. Paralysis by analysis might be his downfall at the moment.

Tier 7
32. James Wilder, Jr., RB, Florida State
33. Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
34. Storm Johnson, RB, UCF
35. Colt Lyerla, TE, Oregon
36. De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon

- The 3rd round of rookie drafts is when you can usually take some fliers on people. These guys offer some of the more interesting dice-rolls in the draft and could offer decent upside or simply flame out and become afterthoughts.