Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
tidewaterjc
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Postby tidewaterjc » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:51 pm

1standgoal wrote:I just gotta laugh at the comments about Sammy "not running routes." From what I've seen on videos he ran some very clean routes. The man ran routes and scored, he caught screen passes and scored, he even took the ball out of the backfield and scored. The guy is a weapon.

I can understand if you don't have the 1st or 2nd pick and you are trying to console yourself from the fact that your missing out on the best skill player in the draft. But c'mon, you know better than that.

*I almost forgot, he threw for touchdowns too.
This time of year people want to let doubt creep in and possibly buy 1.01 at a lower price or hope the player they want falls to them at 1.02 or 1.03 by talking up others too.

Watkins has the skills, attitude, & intellect to be a stud. Opportunity will come just based on draft position and lack of other weapons on the team that drafts him.

I rather enjoy seeing some posters knocking him for this.. that... etc

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Twitter: @tidewaterjc
Email: tidewaterjc@gmail.com

Need a FF Team Helmet?

Custom FF Helmets/Banners available
http://s1324.photobucket.com/user/tidewaterjc/profile/

all day
Starter
Starter

Postby all day » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:18 am

1standgoal wrote:I just gotta laugh at the comments about Sammy "not running routes." From what I've seen on videos he ran some very clean routes. The man ran routes and scored, he caught screen passes and scored, he even took the ball out of the backfield and scored. The guy is a weapon.

I can understand if you don't have the 1st or 2nd pick and you are trying to console yourself from the fact that your missing out on the best skill player in the draft. But c'mon, you know better than that.

No one said he didn't run routes. It was just that he didn't run a normal distribution of routes. 69% of his routes being less that 5 yards is way more than the average receiver (around 45%). It is not saying that he can't do it, it is just saying that we don't know what he can do if he were to be asked to run more routes in the 10-20 yard range. He could play similar to Harvin, Cobb, or Patterson but it sounds like people are expecting more than that.

Here is the link to the article I am pulling this info from. I wish that there was a more historical database for this information but sadly, I don't have the time to build one:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... wr-metrics

It is like evaluating Lache Seastrunk. He didn't catch the ball at all last year. Now, that doesn't mean he can't do it, it just means that we don't know if he can.

My biggest issue is that with how deep this class looks, why would I make that pick instead of moving it? I would rather have two of Evans, Matthews, Moncreif, Robinson, etc. than just Watkins.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:14 pm

all day wrote:

No one said he didn't run routes. It was just that he didn't run a normal distribution of routes. 69% of his routes being less that 5 yards is way more than the average receiver (around 45%). It is not saying that he can't do it, it is just saying that we don't know what he can do if he were to be asked to run more routes in the 10-20 yard range. He could play similar to Harvin, Cobb, or Patterson but it sounds like people are expecting more than that.

Here is the link to the article I am pulling this info from. I wish that there was a more historical database for this information but sadly, I don't have the time to build one:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... wr-metrics

It is like evaluating Lache Seastrunk. He didn't catch the ball at all last year. Now, that doesn't mean he can't do it, it just means that we don't know if he can.

My biggest issue is that with how deep this class looks, why would I make that pick instead of moving it? I would rather have two of Evans, Matthews, Moncreif, Robinson, etc. than just Watkins.

Or you can be in my spot owning the 1.01, 1.03, and 1.04 and knowing that the guy with 1.02 is going RB.

Why choose between Watkins, Evans, and Lee when you can just have all three of them 8-)

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:23 pm

Watching some footage right now. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:03 pm

Jimmy Jones wrote:Watching some footage right now. He reminds me a lot of Randall Cobb.
That would be fine value for the 1.01 especially if he falls to the lions.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby AZK » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Am I the only person that sees a less polished but more explosive Roddy White as a close comparison? He seems to have had a fine career and worth the 1.01 when he was in his prime, even though he is only 6' tall and 210 lbs.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:51 pm

PierreThePainter wrote:Am I the only person that sees a less polished but more explosive Roddy White as a close comparison? He seems to have had a fine career and worth the 1.01 when he was in his prime, even though he is only 6' tall and 210 lbs.
I Know, It's the Hair.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:18 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:Or you can be in my spot owning the 1.01, 1.03, and 1.04 and knowing that the guy with 1.02 is going RB.

Why choose between Watkins, Evans, and Lee when you can just have all three of them 8-)
yet another person in a similar scenario: I have the 1.01, 1.02, and 1.05, with the 1.03 guy insisting he is going QB. Likely trying to trade one at least, but I have no problem grabbing those three guys if all else fails.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

gunman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gunman » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Watkins is the #1 receiver in this draft and in dynasty leagues should be the first rookie overall selected. He just has pure talent.
Team 1

QB Rogers, Foles, Manuel, Glennon
RB Gurley, J Hill, Woodhead
WR Cooper, M Evans, Cooks, Hurns, J Brown, DGB
TE Green, Rodgers
Key defensive players- Atkins, M Foster, Kuechly, Vaccaro, H Smith, Cyprien, Peters, Ha Ha

Team 2

QB Wilson, A Smith, Cousins, RG3
RB Rawls, Forte, Lacy, Hyde
WR Green, Julio, Watkins, D Parker, White, Baldwin, M Bryant
TE Green, Reed
DL- Houston, Jordan
LB- Kuechly, L David, Burfict, K Alexander
Sec- H Smith, Cyprien

Starting Requirments
1 QB, 1-2 RB, 2-3 WR, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 Sec

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:20 pm

"Sammy Watkins - WR - Tigers
MLive.com reports that Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew and head coach Jim Caldwell were on hand for Clemson WR Sammy Watkins' pro day.
"The primary focus of the Lions' brass is undoubtedly wide receiver Sammy Watkins," Rogers wrote. Detroit GM Martin Mayhew has made it known, that the team is in the market for another wide receiver to pair with Calvin Johnson. If Watkins falls in their laps at No.10 the Lions would easily pull the trigger. Texas A & M WR Mike Evans could also be a solid option for the Lions if Watkins is off the board. Our own Josh Norris believes Watkins is the top receiver in the class due to his combination of explosion and ability to win at every level of the field.
Source: MLive.com Mar 6 - 1:40 PM"

Oh my God, please trade up and snag him, they would silence any doubts that he is worth the #1 pick, it would probably even make him the #1 in 2QB leagues if Texas takes Clowny.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:58 pm

People have to remember that almost every team is at his pro-day, so it's not really that big of news. I do agree that the Lions would be the best possible landing spot for him though.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Just please not the Raiders.

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:22 pm

Jimmy Jones wrote:Oh my God, please trade up and snag him, they would silence any doubts that he is worth the #1 pick, it would probably even make him the #1 in 2QB leagues if Texas takes Clowny.
Can you explain why? I've already been pretty vocal about my belief that situation doesn't really matter for someone like him, but since we're discussing it: Playing second fiddle to Calvin Johnson for 5 years of his career sounds like pretty awful fantasy value. I don't think Stafford can support two elite WRs. (And if you're response is to mention Cutler, my response to that is that Chicago's offense runs through about 4 players, so all of what are usually extraneous targets are condensed to mostly Marshall? Jeffery which is one of the main reasons they are both elite, along with the obvious fact that they are both great WRs. I don't think the Lions offense will be run through 4 players.)

While his immediate value goes up a bit, I think his ceiling in the next 5 years would decrease significantly, and would be pretty disappointing to have to wait over 5 years for elite returns. A situation like Oakland or Buffalo with no legendary WR standing in his way would result in a much higher ceiling.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Zounder wrote:
Jimmy Jones wrote:Oh my God, please trade up and snag him, they would silence any doubts that he is worth the #1 pick, it would probably even make him the #1 in 2QB leagues if Texas takes Clowny.
Can you explain why? I've already been pretty vocal about my belief that situation doesn't really matter for someone like him, but since we're discussing it: Playing second fiddle to Calvin Johnson for 5 years of his career sounds like pretty awful fantasy value. I don't think Stafford can support two elite WRs. (And if you're response is to mention Cutler, my response to that is that Chicago's offense runs through about 4 players, so all of what are usually extraneous targets are condensed to mostly Marshall? Jeffery which is one of the main reasons they are both elite, along with the obvious fact that they are both great WRs. I don't think the Lions offense will be run through 4 players.)

While his immediate value goes up a bit, I think his ceiling in the next 5 years would decrease significantly, and would be pretty disappointing to have to wait over 5 years for elite returns. A situation like Oakland or Buffalo with no legendary WR standing in his way would result in a much higher ceiling.
I would think people's response would be more along the lines of "Stafford throws the ball more than anyone in the league" in favor of him supporting 2 elite WRs over the Cutler thing. There are roughly 3,000+ receiving yards to be had on the Lions offense after Calvin. Add to that he would be far from the only weapon and he's playing opposite the best WR in the game who commands at least double coverage and it would be opportunities galore for Watkins. That would be my argument, anyways, if I were trying to make one

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Butt Liqueur wrote:I would think people's response would be more along the lines of "Stafford throws the ball more than anyone in the league" in favor of him supporting 2 elite WRs over the Cutler thing. There are roughly 3,000+ receiving yards to be had on the Lions offense after Calvin. Add to that he would be far from the only weapon and he's playing opposite the best WR in the game who commands at least double coverage and it would be opportunities galore for Watkins. That would be my argument, anyways, if I were trying to make one
I think your last point about double coverage toward Calvin is a great argument for an increase in immediate production, of which I agree. But I guess we'd have to see about how the coaching change affects the style of offense. Will Stafford still throw for a ton of passes? and if so, will he continue to spread the ball around to secondary targets not named Calvin, or will he focus on a secondary target?
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz