Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
TradeBack
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Watkins 6'0 3/4" 211lbs.

Postby TradeBack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:07 am

Despite believing Watkins can be a top 10 NFL wide receiver, I will be looking to move the 1.01 or will take Evans if I have to. This is solely because my league is standard scoring. If it were PPR or even half PPR, I would be all over Watkins.

When I look at the top 13 wide receivers from last year, I don't think it's a coincidence that 10 of them are 6'3" or taller. The 3 men out are Dez at 6'2", Antonio Brown at 5'10" and DeSean Jackson at 5'10". I'm merely playing the odds in my decision.

I have a hard time agreeing with any of the comparisons in this thread that compare Watkins to Dez. It's hard to play like someone who is 1.25 inches taller and along with that 1.25 inches comes 2 inch longer arms, 14 more pounds, 4 more inches on the vert, 7 more inches in the broad jump, etc. Yes, Watkins had a better 40, but Dez isn't a burner...so should we be comparing him to Watkins?

I guess what I'm saying (and it's already been said) is that he really doesn't have a true comparable in the NFL and it's very frustrating to everyone because that's what they want, someone else they can look at and say, "so this is what I can expect." As stated earlier, if I am going to use the 1.01, I want someone who can be top 5 at their position one day. Looking at the 6 most coveted dynasty wide receivers and not seeing one below 6'2 makes me nervous to spend this pick on someone who will have to score touchdowns the hard way.

Not saying Evans will beat out Sammy in the long run, but he has a huge advantage IMO.

Again, this is coming from a standard scoring standpoint. PPR I take him with no hesitation. Am I crazy for thinking that scoring format should play a role in the 1.01's selection?

Edit: Damn you, Justin Blackmon. He would be a great physical comparison for Watkins but his NFL sample size is pretty small.
Currently in 3 dynasty leagues. Have the IDP itch.

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:14 am

TradeBack wrote:Despite believing Watkins can be a top 10 NFL wide receiver, I will be looking to move the 1.01 or will take Evans if I have to. This is solely because my league is standard scoring. If it were PPR or even half PPR, I would be all over Watkins.

When I look at the top 13 wide receivers from last year, I don't think it's a coincidence that 10 of them are 6'3" or taller. The 3 men out are Dez at 6'2", Antonio Brown at 5'10" and DeSean Jackson at 5'10". I'm merely playing the odds in my decision.

I have a hard time agreeing with any of the comparisons in this thread that compare Watkins to Dez. It's hard to play like someone who is 1.25 inches taller and along with that 1.25 inches comes 2 inch longer arms, 14 more pounds, 4 more inches on the vert, 7 more inches in the broad jump, etc. Yes, Watkins had a better 40, but Dez isn't a burner...so should we be comparing him to Watkins?

I guess what I'm saying (and it's already been said) is that he really doesn't have a true comparable in the NFL and it's very frustrating to everyone because that's what they want, someone else they can look at and say, "so this is what I can expect." As stated earlier, if I am going to use the 1.01, I want someone who can be top 5 at their position one day. Looking at the 6 most coveted dynasty wide receivers and not seeing one below 6'2 makes me nervous to spend this pick on someone who will have to score touchdowns the hard way.

Not saying Evans will beat out Sammy in the long run, but he has a huge advantage IMO.

Again, this is coming from a standard scoring standpoint. PPR I take him with no hesitation. Am I crazy for thinking that scoring format should play a role in the 1.01's selection?

Edit: Damn you, Justin Blackmon. He would be a great physical comparison for Watkins but his NFL sample size is pretty small.
I agree to an extent, but don't just look at last year. I think it is a bit cyclical, right now the tall receivers are the best, but in the past there were Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison etc. who weren't tall. It really depends on the WR, not the height, IMO.

If Watkins is that talented, he can be another exception to the under 6'3" crowd.

TradeBack
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby TradeBack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:35 pm

I agree to an extent, but don't just look at last year. I think it is a bit cyclical, right now the tall receivers are the best, but in the past there were Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison etc. who weren't tall. It really depends on the WR, not the height, IMO.

If Watkins is that talented, he can be another exception to the under 6'3" crowd.
Or in their case, it depends on the QB.

I've changed my tune a bit throughout the day on this...I looked for dominant WRs 6'2" and under and have found some reassurance. Not completely sold, but becoming a believe of Sammy in all formats.
Currently in 3 dynasty leagues. Have the IDP itch.