Marqise Lee

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Marqise Lee

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:41 pm

swinderman wrote:
guyatwork37 wrote:#2 receiver in this draft. People saying he is 5 to 10 WR in this class are high on goof balls. Oh no he had a crap qb and got hurt a little this season. SUCKS. INJURY PRONE. Please...
He also dropped more deep passes than he caught. I'm not a fan of players that can't catch. Drops aren't on the "crap QB". I also have a constant hesitation to draft players that are seeming to always be nicked up in college. How are they going to be effective running routes across the middle against NFL players?
Always nicked up?!? People act like this guy is constantly on crutches. He never missed a game before this year. Not one. Random knee injuries happen and they take time to get back.

Does not one else see the correlation between his two years with a "pro" quarterback and he is an absolute monster, praised as the top WR in the country, a sure top 5 pick. Then he gets to try and catch passes between a timeshare QB system from some sucky QBs while dealing with a knee injury. Yeah, he dropped some passes. I haven't seen them all but I would guess that a bunch of them were poorly thrown. Now imagine what he will do with a starting NFL QB.

He's a monster and will do just fine in the NFL. I could see him being this year's Keenan Allen with regard to his draft stock dropping for perceived issues, but I'd like to think we've learned our lesson.
Last edited by guyatwork37 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 pm

FiremanEd wrote:
guyatwork37 wrote:#2 receiver in this draft. People saying he is 5 to 10 WR in this class are high on goof balls. Oh no he had a crap qb and got hurt a little this season. SUCKS. INJURY PRONE. Please...
A little defensive? Just because you don't think so doesn't make any one else wrong. I'm sure many have watched more tape and games than you on all the prospects as well. If the draft was an exact science you wouldn't see as many misses as you do. Different people prefer different things or see different things. Still lots to play out but I see reasons to be less optimistic on Lee than after 2012 and they have varying weight for different people.

If you look at rankings from previous seasons against actual NFL performance I'm sure it would surprise you.

For me, I have Lee as my #3 WR personally, but want to watch more on the various guys. Can see how he could fall to #5 depending what your looking for.
People are entitled to their opinions, but everyone's been running around here like Lee got his hands chopped off and the two other seasons he played never existed.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:
FiremanEd wrote:
A little defensive? Just because you don't think so doesn't make any one else wrong. I'm sure many have watched more tape and games than you on all the prospects as well. If the draft was an exact science you wouldn't see as many misses as you do. Different people prefer different things or see different things. Still lots to play out but I see reasons to be less optimistic on Lee than after 2012 and they have varying weight for different people.

If you look at rankings from previous seasons against actual NFL performance I'm sure it would surprise you.

For me, I have Lee as my #3 WR personally, but want to watch more on the various guys. Can see how he could fall to #5 depending what your looking for.
People are entitled to their opinions, but everyone's been running around here like Lee got his hands chopped off and the two other seasons he played never existed.
I think you forgot the fact that he was playing opposite Robert Woods. It's like Burleson playing without Calvin?
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:52 am

guyatwork37 wrote:
swinderman wrote:
He also dropped more deep passes than he caught. I'm not a fan of players that can't catch. Drops aren't on the "crap QB". I also have a constant hesitation to draft players that are seeming to always be nicked up in college. How are they going to be effective running routes across the middle against NFL players?
Always nicked up?!? People act like this guy is constantly on crutches. He never missed a game before this year. Not one. Random knee injuries happen and they take time to get back.

Does not one else see the correlation between his two years with a "pro" quarterback and he is an absolute monster, praised as the top WR in the country, a sure top 5 pick. Then he gets to try and catch passes between a timeshare QB system from some sucky QBs while dealing with a knee injury. Yeah, he dropped some passes. I haven't seen them all but I would guess that a bunch of them were poorly thrown. Now imagine what he will do with a starting NFL QB.

He's a monster and will do just fine in the NFL. I could see him being this year's Keenan Allen with regard to his draft stock dropping for perceived issues, but I'd like to think we've learned our lesson.
I see no better candidate than Lee to be this year's Kennan Allen, however, I'm still not drafting him at higher than #5 WR prices (which was close to where Allen went, behind Hopkins, Austin, Patterson, Hunter and Woods). However, Keenan Allen's fall was more attributed to injuries and poor workout performance (as far as times goes) while Lee's fall has more to do with his difficulty catching passes and his overall drop in performance on the field

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 am

georg013 wrote: I think you forgot the fact that he was playing opposite Robert Woods. It's like Burleson playing without Calvin?
That's a very valid point as well. Landing spot would be a big factor obviously, but imagine him in Detroit...

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am

guyatwork37 wrote: Always nicked up?!? People act like this guy is constantly on crutches. He never missed a game before this year. Not one. Random knee injuries happen and they take time to get back.

Don't equivocate nicked up with missing games. I see the correlation with his two years as Robert Woods taking a lot of the focus off of him so he can dominate. He didn't just drop some passes, he dropped a lot of them. I've seen college receivers playing with QBs no better than the ones Lee plays with and they aren't dropping that percentage of passes. Everyone assumes that if you had success then dealt with some injuries, you're bound to be Keenan Allen. Or, you just have bad hands and are going to struggle a bit in the NFL. I've got a differing opinion than you and know that I'm not going to draft him/own him in any league and I'm perfectly fine with that.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:19 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:
swinderman wrote:

x2

He's at #2 on my board. He might drop to 3 after I finish watching all the WR tapes, but no lower.
The standard is the standard.

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:28 pm

I think the main thing I've learned from this thread is that people either love him or doubt him. Not a lot in between. I'm personally hoping my league is doubting him so I can pick him up later.

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:21 pm

Its definitely also that although I'm not personally high on him, at a certain point I'll draft him just to unload to someone else that I know loves him. He's not a hard guy to hype up.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin

QB - Romo, Vick
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith

Vendetta
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Vendetta » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 am

I like Lee but don't love him. I'm leery of USC WR's and he doesn't have great size either and his hands were questionable this past season as has already been discussed. I think he'll be a decent fantasy player but I don't see him as a future stud. I've seen some people compare him to a younger Jeremy Maclin and with a top 3 pick I'd like more upside than another Maclin. That's not to say that I'd pass on him in my drafts but I wouldn't spend a top 6 pick on him. Right now he's 7 on my board.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:24 pm

To be clear to everyone here, I was not suggesting that any 1 particular person was ranking Lee so low because they are/were bored.

I guess those outlier opinions just come to light around this time when we start dissecting every little detail about every little prospect.

I still believe that the LARGE MAJORITY of dynasty players, scouts, teams, etc. would rank Lee as the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this year's class. And really, that is what shape's a player's "Market Value". By no means does it bind you to that line of thinking, but that should be a baseline when discussing a player's value. Just because you don't like a player doesn't mean you should sell them cheaply - if they are highly valued by the rest of the community.

I think at the end of the day, Lee will cement himself as a top5 Draft pick in nearly all dynasty leagues.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:12 pm

kmbryant09 wrote:To be clear to everyone here, I was not suggesting that any 1 particular person was ranking Lee so low because they are/were bored.

I guess those outlier opinions just come to light around this time when we start dissecting every little detail about every little prospect.

I still believe that the LARGE MAJORITY of dynasty players, scouts, teams, etc. would rank Lee as the 2nd or 3rd best WR in this year's class. And really, that is what shape's a player's "Market Value". By no means does it bind you to that line of thinking, but that should be a baseline when discussing a player's value. Just because you don't like a player doesn't mean you should sell them cheaply - if they are highly valued by the rest of the community.

I think at the end of the day, Lee will cement himself as a top5 Draft pick in nearly all dynasty leagues.
I can definitely agree that the market value will be that he is high, whether right or wrong there are enough scouts out there that speak highly of him and his overall numbers suggest that he is a top prospect at the position. Add in that everyone has some question marks, he comes across as a receiver that will maintain a high hype value at least until draft day and probably until we see him play. Because of this I might draft him higher than I would if I was planning on keeping him for my own roster.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick

Bronx Bomber
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Bronx Bomber » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:29 pm

Maclin was considered a top 15 WR a couple years ago. I'll take that if that's what Lee winds up as. Not much room with the youth of the position currently to go too much higher. To turn an unknown (draft pick) into a top 15 guy would be a good outcome IMO.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 am

Bronx Bomber wrote:Maclin was considered a top 15 WR a couple years ago. I'll take that if that's what Lee winds up as. Not much room with the youth of the position currently to go too much higher. To turn an unknown (draft pick) into a top 15 guy would be a good outcome IMO.
Agree
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 am

Bronx Bomber wrote:Maclin was considered a top 15 WR a couple years ago. I'll take that if that's what Lee winds up as. Not much room with the youth of the position currently to go too much higher. To turn an unknown (draft pick) into a top 15 guy would be a good outcome IMO.
Ehhhhh.... very much depended on who you asked. Maclin was as divisive as Lee appears to be. You had some people that suggested he was a top 15 WR and then a lot of others had the feeling he was much closer to the WR2/WR3 border than WR1/WR2. It seemed pretty 50/50 to me. There was always hope that he could become that guy but he never was. He averaged 63/861/6.5 over his 4 seasons, numbers that would have put him between Marvin Jones and Golden Tate in a PPR this year with the WR29. Per game averages he would be WR28. Maclin was never actually a top 15 WR.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick