Ka'deem Carey, Now you see him...

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Ka'deem Carey, Now you see him...

Postby Cy23 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:22 pm

the_lung wrote:Couldn't have been more excited to see the slow 40 time which will drop him right into my hands in most dynasty league rookie drafts. The guy makes people miss just like LeSean McCoy does...that's all I care about. :thumbup:
The question is, how low are you willing to wait for him?

I have the 1.08 and the 2.06. It depends on the NFL draft to be sure, and who is available at 1.08, but pre-combine I would have been ecstatic to land Carey at 1.08.

teambadknees
Starter
Starter

Postby teambadknees » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:49 pm

The combine hurt his stock a bit for me. He was the number one back and Sankey two. They now swapped. Basically my opinion hasn't changed too much. He was very very productive in college; a true workhorse. He still is a very good prospect.
The Bad Knees 12 team PPR TE Premium
QB: k Cousins, B Osweiler, R Wilson
RB: Clement*, J Connor*, J Crockett, M Jones, D Lewis, B Oliver, D Robinson, L Taliaferro, C Thompson, Z Zenner
WR: T Boyd*, John Brown, Corey Davis*, J Edleman, D Hopkins, J Janis, Perriman, R Randle, Albert Wilson
TE: C Gillmore, OJ Howard*,V McDonald, M Pruitt, J Reed, W Tye

The Waterboy 12 team PPR, Defensive big play
2014 Runner-Up 2015 Champs
QB: K Cousins, M Ryan
RB: D Cobb, M Jones, D Lewis, R Matthews, D Murray,J Randle, T Rawls, B Sankey, S Ware, J White, D Woodhead, Z Zenner
WR: D Adams, K Allen, DGB, D Bryant, A Cooper, D Thomas
TE: E Ebron, H Miller, A Sefarian-Jenkins
DL: J Casey, G Hardy, JPP, S Tuitt, O Vernon
LB: S Anthony, J Collins, J Freeman, J Hicks, M Kendricks, R Shazier, Telvin Smith
DB: M Barron, D Lowery, TJ McDonald, H Smith

Rag3aholik
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Rag3aholik » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:41 am

Just wanted to point this out for everyone... may regret it though, as Carey is my favorite RB in this draft and I'd like him to fall.

Here is the best quality (I know.... yeah) video I could find of Carey running the 40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmJIH8ArMI

Here is Dri Archer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtaIutUfRyA

What can we see in technique differences? Archer's arm control is superb. He brings his arms forward cocked at roughly 90 degrees to decrease moment arm (thereby decreasing the force required to bring it forward and increasing speed). As he pulls an arm back he allows the elbow to extend. His legs, meanwhile, are brought forward in flexion, knees brought up high, driving his foot down to contact the ground almost directly underneath himself. This decreases the slowing effect of planting the foot and gives a forward lean, allowing gravity to direct the run.

Carey? Sloppy arms. Extending at random at the front part of the movement and swinging through the forward motion similarly. Knees extend and the foot contacts far ahead of his body, slowing him significantly. Knees do not drive up nearly as far as they should (approaching 90 degrees).

What can we take from this? Carey is an awful track runner. His training for the combine, whatever it may have been, was inadequate, as it failed to address the simple technique of track running. This technique can be easily learned and it is disappointing that he missed this in his training.

We also learn that he is not actually this slow. Watch his game film and highlights. His running is similar to this sprint technique in a lot of circumstances.... but that is important in football as it provides the ability to change direction. If he wants to increase long speed he can be very easily coached to do so. The man has speed to burn and a week of coaching could have removed this question mark from his scouting report.

Draft with extreme prejudice.
Rag3
12 team standard league - Non-PPR - 1 year completed
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 4WR, 1TE, 3Flex
QB: Stafford,, Cutler,
RB: Spiller, Ball, Mathews, Gerhart, T-Rich, C. Michael
WR: C. Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, K. Allen,, J. Hunter, D. Rogers
TE: L. Green , J. Cool

Decepticons
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE 3Flex, 1TM
QB: Cam Newton, Kyle Orton, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB: Demarco Murray, Alfred Morris, CJ Anderson Montee Ball, Jonathan Stewart, Jay Ajayi,
WR: Brandon Marshall, K. Allen, D. Hopkins, Davante Adams, Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Brandon Lafell, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt
TE: Martellus Bennett, Julius Thomas, Josh Hill, Ladarius Green{/size]

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:19 am

easy to see him when he is running that slow :shock:
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Joe haden ran a 4.68

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 am

Keenan Allen ran 4.71 (granted coming off an injury) and Arian Foster ran a 4.68. 40 time is important but he certainly doesn't look like a plodder on the football field. I don't know if he's bad at running track or what but this doesn't scare me too much.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:31 pm

i never liked what ive seen from carey (other than his prototypical rb size). he may end up with a role somewhere, but i dont see anything special or even anything worth drafting here in the 1st rd of a 12 team league.

if i needed to go rb, i can certainly think of several other risks that i would be willing to gamble on. owners are going to look to fill holes at rb and there just isnt any clear cut guys comming out this year. i anticipate that everyones ranks will vary quite a bit after the nfl draft. im leaning that late 1st and early 2nd may be a great spot to be this year if you need some rb help. the wr depth and teddy will eat up quite a few 1sts, and then you can take whom you want of the rb's that are left with multiple picks in that range if you would like. or if someone you like slips to the 1.5-1.9 range, you could always move up to get your guy.

carey just wont be a guy that im looking at this year. maybe mid to late 2nd. but i dont see anything special there.

lifesyourcup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lifesyourcup » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:10 pm

TommyL31 wrote:Keenan Allen ran 4.71 (granted coming off an injury) and Arian Foster ran a 4.68. 40 time is important but he certainly doesn't look like a plodder on the football field. I don't know if he's bad at running track or what but this doesn't scare me too much.
Arian Foster was 226 lbs. At 207 lbs, a 4.66-4.70 is horrible.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Rag3aholik wrote:Just wanted to point this out for everyone... may regret it though, as Carey is my favorite RB in this draft and I'd like him to fall.

Here is the best quality (I know.... yeah) video I could find of Carey running the 40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmJIH8ArMI

What can we see in technique differences? Archer's arm control is superb. He brings his arms forward cocked at roughly 90 degrees to decrease moment arm (thereby decreasing the force required to bring it forward and increasing speed). As he pulls an arm back he allows the elbow to extend. His legs, meanwhile, are brought forward in flexion, knees brought up high, driving his foot down to contact the ground almost directly underneath himself. This decreases the slowing effect of planting the foot and gives a forward lean, allowing gravity to direct the run.

Carey? Sloppy arms. Extending at random at the front part of the movement and swinging through the forward motion similarly. Knees extend and the foot contacts far ahead of his body, slowing him significantly. Knees do not drive up nearly as far as they should (approaching 90 degrees).

What can we take from this? Carey is an awful track runner. His training for the combine, whatever it may have been, was inadequate, as it failed to address the simple technique of track running. This technique can be easily learned and it is disappointing that he missed this in his training.

We also learn that he is not actually this slow. Watch his game film and highlights. His running is similar to this sprint technique in a lot of circumstances.... but that is important in football as it provides the ability to change direction. If he wants to increase long speed he can be very easily coached to do so. The man has speed to burn and a week of coaching could have removed this question mark from his scouting report.

Love the analysis here. I was thinking about moving Carey down to below Hyde on my rankings, but posts like this reassure me of my ranking.
The standard is the standard.

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Rag3aholik wrote:Just wanted to point this out for everyone... may regret it though, as Carey is my favorite RB in this draft and I'd like him to fall.

It was probably Donald Brown's fault.

Rag3aholik
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Rag3aholik » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:41 pm

Defender wrote:
Love the analysis here. I was thinking about moving Carey down to below Hyde on my rankings, but posts like this reassure me of my ranking.
Somebody read my analysis and liked it! Day made!

Seriously though I'm a graduating kinesiology major with training in advanced biomechanics who just got a research position studying motor learning. You can trust me.
Rag3

Decepticons
RB: Demarco Murray, Alfred Morris, CJ Anderson Montee Ball, Jonathan Stewart, Jay Ajayi,
WR: Brandon Marshall, K. Allen, D. Hopkins, Davante Adams, Devante Parker, Jarvis Landry, Brandon Lafell, Stedman Bailey, Kenny Britt

BadgerYou
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BadgerYou » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Rag3aholik wrote:
Defender wrote:
Somebody read my analysis and liked it! Day made!

Seriously though I'm a graduating kinesiology major with training in advanced biomechanics who just got a research position studying motor learning.You can trust me.
That's what they all say... But yes, good read, 40 times are great and all, but gotta review the game tape and tie it all together.
"Ask for the world in return, settle for a couple continents" - Trading Studs

Rag3aholik
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Rag3aholik » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:20 pm

BadgerYou wrote:
Rag3aholik wrote: Somebody read my analysis and liked it! Day made!

Seriously though I'm a graduating kinesiology major with training in advanced biomechanics who just got a research position studying motor learning.You can trust me.
That's what they all say..
Quit badgering me you!
Rag3

Decepticons