Sammy vs Nuk

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sammy vs Nuk

Postby Jimmy Jones » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 pm

How much better would you guys say Sammy is than Hopkins. I just zoned out watching a YouTube highlight video of Nuk on my phone and forgot it was him, thought it was Sammy. People on this forum are talking about trading away the house for the 1.01. Is Sammy way ahead of Nuk? Just got into dynasty this year do I wasn't around last year to compare the hype. I'm guessing (hoping) Sammy is way above Hopkins since I plan on using a pick on him..
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

Mike_Blahnik
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Sammy vs Nuk

Postby Mike_Blahnik » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:13 pm

I don't have Sammy way ahead of Nuk, but Sammy (pending combine measurements and NFL draft results) projects a little trendier than Hopkins does.

I see Watkins upside somewhere around Randall Cobb while Hopkins is somewhere around vintage 'Quan Boldin. Both are huge assets, not sure I would/could trade either one for the other. I'm a Gemini, lol!
League of Economical Gentlemen
12 Team 2QB .5ppr with return yardage
QB/QB/RB/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/Flex

For the Gipper
Newton/Tannehill/G. Smith/Henne/Fitzpatrick
Bernard/Ivory/Hunter/Carey/
Patterson/Floyd/Blackmon/Shorts/T Williams/Adams
Gronkowski/ASJ/Gresham

DallasN1213
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DallasN1213 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:21 pm

I prefer Nuk and its a small group.

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 pm

I have Sammy far ahead of Hopkins. For me it isn't about the hype level alone, but the fact that I was very disappointed by Nuk this past season. He didn't capitalize like he should have and made too many mental errors.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

all day
Starter
Starter

Postby all day » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:38 pm

swinderman wrote:I have Sammy far ahead of Hopkins. For me it isn't about the hype level alone, but the fact that I was very disappointed by Nuk this past season. He didn't capitalize like he should have and made too many mental errors.
Yeah, 800 yards from a rookie catching the ball from Case Keegan sucks. Josh Gordon had 3 yards more than that as a rookie. Might take want to give him a year or two.

Obviously they have very different skill sets. Watkins is faster and quicker but Nuk is a great route runner and gets to the highest point to catch the ball. I think Watkins has a higher ceiling but Nuk has a higher floor.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:33 am

Without looking at Hopkins' combine or anything, I think Watkins looks like a much better athlete.

I'm guessing he's about an inch shorter, but probably outweighs Hopkins by 10-15 pounds. Just by looking and Hopkins on the field, he looks VERY thin, and I think it affected his ability to play against physical cornerbacks.

Overall, Watkins is just a little faster, a little quicker, and a little better with the ball in his hands.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:41 am

all day wrote:
swinderman wrote:I have Sammy far ahead of Hopkins. For me it isn't about the hype level alone, but the fact that I was very disappointed by Nuk this past season. He didn't capitalize like he should have and made too many mental errors.
Yeah, 800 yards from a rookie catching the ball from Case Keegan sucks. Josh Gordon had 3 yards more than that as a rookie. Might take want to give him a year or two.

Obviously they have very different skill sets. Watkins is faster and quicker but Nuk is a great route runner and gets to the highest point to catch the ball. I think Watkins has a higher ceiling but Nuk has a higher floor.
Can't just look at numbers at the end of the season. He made a LOT of mistakes out there. Also, you're greatly underselling Watkins' ability to high point the ball and his ability to run routes.

I completely understand you're a Hopkins owner, but you also need to recognize that various coaches/reports recognized his vast amount of mental errors despite being straight handed the starting job.

Prorate Dobson's numbers across a full season, and 50/700/5 vs Nuk's 50/800/2. Yet, for some reason, everyone thinks Dobson's season was awful and that he is just going to get bypassed next season despite dealing with significant foot injuries throughout the season.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin

QB - Romo, Vick
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:10 am

all day wrote:

In all fairness, I think the major reason why most rookie (young) receivers don't put up the stats is because they aren't on the field for 60 plays a game.

For the majority of the season, Hopkins was fully entrenched as the every-down #2 receiver. So it's not like his stats are about to see a natural uptick based on playing time + opportunity.

And yeah, say all you want about Case Keenum, but Houston QB's threw for roughly 4,200 yards and 19 TD's - so there was plenty of opportunities and yards to go around.
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas

teambadknees
Starter
Starter

Postby teambadknees » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 am

Nuk was a rookie and most rookie recievers have a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Very few have immediate impact. With that offense that Kubiak ran I'm not surprised at all that Nuk wasn't heavily targeted. If your not the X receiver or a TE odds are you're lucky yo get more than 5 targets a game. The jury is still out on him. He probably won't have an amazing sophomore season (another rookie QB and new system) but year 3 should definitely show improvements at least.

Watkins is more dynamic of a reciever. I think he too will have an up and down rookie campaign. Much of his early success depends on his landing place IMO. He reminds me a lot of a smaller faster D Thomas. They loved to throw him screens and shallow digs and let him run all over the field. A west coast offense would make him pretty scary (after his rookie season).

Both are desirable players to own and are very different in terms of talents and playing style. Most will have Watkins higher by a large margin. I think he is very good but shares tier 1 with a few other players.
The Bad Knees 12 team PPR TE Premium
QB: k Cousins, B Osweiler, R Wilson
RB: Clement*, J Connor*, J Crockett, M Jones, D Lewis, B Oliver, D Robinson, L Taliaferro, C Thompson, Z Zenner
WR: T Boyd*, John Brown, Corey Davis*, J Edleman, D Hopkins, J Janis, Perriman, R Randle, Albert Wilson
TE: C Gillmore, OJ Howard*,V McDonald, M Pruitt, J Reed, W Tye

The Waterboy 12 team PPR, Defensive big play
2014 Runner-Up 2015 Champs
QB: K Cousins, M Ryan
RB: D Cobb, M Jones, D Lewis, R Matthews, D Murray,J Randle, T Rawls, B Sankey, S Ware, J White, D Woodhead, Z Zenner
WR: D Adams, K Allen, DGB, D Bryant, A Cooper, D Thomas
TE: E Ebron, H Miller, A Sefarian-Jenkins
DL: J Casey, G Hardy, JPP, S Tuitt, O Vernon
LB: S Anthony, J Collins, J Freeman, J Hicks, M Kendricks, R Shazier, Telvin Smith
DB: M Barron, D Lowery, TJ McDonald, H Smith

all day
Starter
Starter

Postby all day » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 pm

swinderman wrote: Can't just look at numbers at the end of the season. He made a LOT of mistakes out there. Also, you're greatly underselling Watkins' ability to high point the ball and his ability to run routes.

I completely understand you're a Hopkins owner, but you also need to recognize that various coaches/reports recognized his vast amount of mental errors despite being straight handed the starting job.

Prorate Dobson's numbers across a full season, and 50/700/5 vs Nuk's 50/800/2. Yet, for some reason, everyone thinks Dobson's season was awful and that he is just going to get bypassed next season despite dealing with significant foot injuries throughout the season.
Of course you can't just look at numbers. Watching him play he looked hit or miss, I will agree, but he is a rookie. Since 1970 only 29 rookies have put 800+ yard seasons and two of them were last year. Give him a year or two too get used to being a pro. He will only be 22 next year.

The reason I am discounting Watkins ability to win down the field is that he doesn't do it very often. Last year 69% of his receptions were 5 yards or shorter. I like Watkins but I have a few questions about him that need to be answered, starting with his height at the combine. I like his potential but he is getting talked about like he is the next AJG or Julio and if people expect that, I think they will be disappointed.

And me being a Hopkins owner has nothing to do with it. He was my #1 receiver in last year's class and I saw nothing to change my opinion. Give he a decent QB in the draft and things should improve.

I don't know where Dobson came from but extrapolating out stats is no way to strengthen your argument. Either they didn't it or didn't. That said I have no problem with him but just thought that was weird.

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:44 pm

all day wrote: Of course you can't just look at numbers. Watching him play he looked hit or miss, I will agree, but he is a rookie. Since 1970 only 29 rookies have put 800+ yard seasons and two of them were last year. Give him a year or two too get used to being a pro. He will only be 22 next year.

The reason I am discounting Watkins ability to win down the field is that he doesn't do it very often. Last year 69% of his receptions were 5 yards or shorter. I like Watkins but I have a few questions about him that need to be answered, starting with his height at the combine. I like his potential but he is getting talked about like he is the next AJG or Julio and if people expect that, I think they will be disappointed.

And me being a Hopkins owner has nothing to do with it. He was my #1 receiver in last year's class and I saw nothing to change my opinion. Give he a decent QB in the draft and things should improve.

I don't know where Dobson came from but extrapolating out stats is no way to strengthen your argument. Either they didn't it or didn't. That said I have no problem with him but just thought that was weird.
I have found time and again that when someone drafts a player, they struggle to get beyond the hype that lead them to drafting the player. The Dobson point was just a comment on how claiming that when looking Hopkins' season and comparing it to another rookie player that everyone seems to think is pretty much done for you aren't that far off in final per game production.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as skeptical of Watkins as the next guy, but I think the same thing is generally going on with Hopkins. He has a lot of growing pains just as Watkins does. In fact, Watkins is almost exactly a year younger.

I essentially look at it like this: They both have very high upside, its just while Hopkins has shown the positive glimpses, I've also seen him get a very good opportunity and waste some of it. Watkins still has the blank slate at the NFL level (for better or for worse).

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:45 am

yearly to do list
feb 2nd .... trade for last year's hot wr prospect that has turned into a slug from an owner who is after the next big thing

feb 2nd 2014 trade for deandre hopkins / justin hunter cause they suck now even though they had all the tools last year this time
feb 2nd 2015 trade for sammy watkins after his putrid 900 yard 5 td season
feb 2nd 2016 trade for amari cooper after his putrid 740 yard 2 td season

in honor of groundhog day
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Big Al
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Big Al » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:48 am

clarion contrarion wrote:yearly to do list
feb 2nd .... trade for last year's hot wr prospect that has turned into a slug from an owner who is after the next big thing

feb 2nd 2014 trade for deandre hopkins / justin hunter cause they suck now even though they had all the tools last year this time

Now this is just plain funny. Well put. :lol:

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:40 am

clarion contrarion wrote:yearly to do list

Its definitely a good approach though. People sour so much on players so quickly if they don't instantly produce. While I know a lot of what I said seems like I hate Hopkins, I don't. I'm just higher on Watkins!

I know I've taken this approach to Dobson this season. Everyone seemed to be all over him and how he's going to be an incredible "Randy Moss light" for the Pats. Now all of a sudden he shouldn't even be a weapon for them to develop in the future? C'mon.

I also would love to find a way to get Hopkins or Hunter, but the guy that owns him I know is very "all in" on them and riding the train to wherever the destination may be.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:54 am

all day wrote:

I like his potential but he is getting talked about like he is the next AJG or Julio and if people expect that, I think they will be disappointed.
This I have to severely disagree with.

I've been very active in most/all of Sammy Watkins threads around here - I even created the Tale of the Tape thread on Watkins that has 1500 hits.

The underlying consensus is that while he is a great prospect and a very, very valuable dynasty commodity - he is CLEARLY below the tier of AJG and Julio as a prospect.