Sammy vs Nuk

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Sammy vs Nuk

Postby Butt Liqueur » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 am

kmbryant09 wrote:
all day wrote:

I like his potential but he is getting talked about like he is the next AJG or Julio and if people expect that, I think they will be disappointed.
This I have to severely disagree with.

I've been very active in most/all of Sammy Watkins threads around here - I even created the Tale of the Tape thread on Watkins that has 1500 hits.

The underlying consensus is that while he is a great prospect and a very, very valuable dynasty commodity - he is CLEARLY below the tier of AJG and Julio as a prospect.
You are absolutely correct in the general position DLFers are taking on Watkins. While he is THE "can't miss" prospect of this class, I've seen numerous people say flat out that he's not in that top WR tier

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

all day
Starter
Starter

Postby all day » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:08 pm

kmbryant09 wrote:
all day wrote:

I like his potential but he is getting talked about like he is the next AJG or Julio and if people expect that, I think they will be disappointed.

I've been very active in most/all of Sammy Watkins threads around here - I even created the Tale of the Tape thread on Watkins that has 1500 hits.

The underlying consensus is that while he is a great prospect and a very, very valuable dynasty commodity - he is CLEARLY below the tier of AJG and Julio as a prospect.
Well good for you. We agree.

Maybe it is because you are so enthusiastic about his prospects that you think that it is not that frothy. I think that the tone around here is just waiting for him to run a 4.3 and jump a 40" vert (both of which I expect him to do) before he starts getting into that tier. I just remember Tavon mania around here last year and expect it to be even worse this year.

I am not trying to rip on Watkins either. I like him. I just feel that the gap between him and the other guys in this draft is not that large and from what I have seen a lot of people think that no one else is even near him in talent. With how deep I feel this class is at WR I would not be surprised if there are guys taken in the third round of rookie drafts that end up with similar careers to Watkins.

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:18 pm

all day wrote: Well good for you. We agree.

Maybe it is because you are so enthusiastic about his prospects that you think that it is not that frothy. I think that the tone around here is just waiting for him to run a 4.3 and jump a 40" vert (both of which I expect him to do) before he starts getting into that tier. I just remember Tavon mania around here last year and expect it to be even worse this year.

I am not trying to rip on Watkins either. I like him. I just feel that the gap between him and the other guys in this draft is not that large and from what I have seen a lot of people think that no one else is even near him in talent. With how deep I feel this class is at WR I would not be surprised if there are guys taken in the third round of rookie drafts that end up with similar careers to Watkins.
Heh, he's not even my #1 WR! :eh:

I'm definitely with you that this class is crazy deep and I have the feeling a lot of people just haven't dug in deep with their scouting.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:12 pm

swinderman wrote:

I'm definitely with you that this class is crazy deep and I have the feeling a lot of people just haven't dug in deep with their scouting.
I've dug deep into the WR's and think there is big difference in talent between Watkins and everyone else. But if Watkins doesn't land in a desirable location and other WR's do land in good locations then I could see similar stats a couple years from now.
Swingerman, who is your #1 WR?

all day
Starter
Starter

Postby all day » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 am

swinderman wrote:

It's all good man, I was responding to the other guy's post, not you.

I have a rough rankings right now. I am waiting for measurements from the combine to solidify them a bit more. Not the 40 but heigh the and weight and the agility drills. Sammy is in the top tier right to now but if he comes in under 6 for he is going to have a tough time staying there.

DallasN1213
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DallasN1213 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:52 pm

kmbryant09 wrote:Without looking at Hopkins' combine or anything, I think Watkins looks like a much better athlete.

I'm guessing he's about an inch shorter, but probably outweighs Hopkins by 10-15 pounds. Just by looking and Hopkins on the field, he looks VERY thin, and I think it affected his ability to play against physical cornerbacks.

Overall, Watkins is just a little faster, a little quicker, and a little better with the ball in his hands.
Is that correct? I thought Hopkins was heavier by about 20 lbs

lifesyourcup
Role Player
Role Player

Postby lifesyourcup » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:14 pm

DallasN1213 wrote:
kmbryant09 wrote:Without looking at Hopkins' combine or anything, I think Watkins looks like a much better athlete.

I'm guessing he's about an inch shorter, but probably outweighs Hopkins by 10-15 pounds. Just by looking and Hopkins on the field, he looks VERY thin, and I think it affected his ability to play against physical cornerbacks.

Overall, Watkins is just a little faster, a little quicker, and a little better with the ball in his hands.
Hopkins was 214 at the Combine and currently listed at 218. He does look a lot thinner than that though. Was listed by Clemson at 205 lbs during his Jr season and a lot of people were questioning his build as well: http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticl ... =205529373

If you saw them side by side, you'd probably think they're the same weight.

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm

DallasN1213 wrote:

It's weird. When I saw Hopkins on the field for the Texans this year, I would've guessed he's about 6'2" 200 lbs. Yet I see his combine measurements were 6'1" 215.

He looks really skinny, and it seemed like his play reflected that - he didn't show enough strength to battle through press coverage - he was knocked off his route tree fairly easily. Obviously didn't run with a lot of power after the catch (though few WR's do).

I would've guessed that Watkins is about an inch shorter than Hopkins, but about the same weight (or a few pounds heavier) - in other words, he's a little thicker than Hopkins.

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what Watkins' measurements are at the combine.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:yearly to do list
feb 2nd .... trade for last year's hot wr prospect that has turned into a slug from an owner who is after the next big thing

feb 2nd 2014 trade for deandre hopkins / justin hunter cause they suck now even though they had all the tools last year this time
feb 2nd 2015 trade for sammy watkins after his putrid 900 yard 5 td season
feb 2nd 2016 trade for amari cooper after his putrid 740 yard 2 td season

in honor of groundhog day
good posting here..

so true.. nuk sucks

watkins wont make any mistakes in the league

end thread

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:16 pm

all day wrote:
kmbryant09 wrote:
all day wrote:

Well good for you. We agree.

doesnt it come back to the same theory of .. "Everybody loves the new shiney toy with no flaws" which this year is Sammy last year it was Tavon

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 pm

ebsteelers wrote: doesnt it come back to the same theory of .. "Everybody loves the new shiney toy with no flaws" which this year is Sammy last year it was Tavon
While this may be true, some years that shiny new toy is A.J. Green, Andrew Luck, Adrian Peterson, etc.

Basically, just because Watkins is the shiny new toy, doesn't mean the hype/talent isn't real.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:44 pm

kmbryant09 wrote:
ebsteelers wrote: doesnt it come back to the same theory of .. "Everybody loves the new shiney toy with no flaws" which this year is Sammy last year it was Tavon
While this may be true, some years that shiny new toy is A.J. Green, Andrew Luck, Adrian Peterson, etc.

Basically, just because Watkins is the shiny new toy, doesn't mean the hype/talent isn't real.
ok buddy .... see you next year on feb 2nd ......just remember amari cooper will be better than ajgreen ...
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:46 pm

I bought a shiny new toy last year. It was Eddie Lacy. My toy worked out.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry