Lache Seastrunk is going to destroy the combine

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Lache Seastrunk is going to destroy the combine

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 pm

swinderman wrote:
ConnSKINS26 wrote:
Its not about ignoring the combine, it's about already having it factored into rankings at this point. We already know he's an insane athletic freak. Does the specific millisecond/inch/etc. really matter? It should already be accounted for in early rankings.

It's the guys who look good on tape, but don't already have hyped measurables, who then put up a surprise stud performance at the combine that should gain in the rankings with a strong showing.
So you know how he is going to measure height and weight already at this point in time and have factored in the measurables? You know how he'll do in every change of direction test? And yes, differences in height, weight and milliseconds do make a difference in a position that is so jumbled together into tiers of talent.
If he performs below expectations, he drops, no argument there.

The point is, if he blows up the combine as expected--it was already expected, and should already be factored into his value at this point in time. Unless someone's not paying attention, only a disappointing (compared to expectations) performance at the combine should really effect his ranking at this point in time.

The most important part of the combine for Seastrunk will be showing that he has natural hands.

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 pm

I would also like Seastrunk more if he didn't turn 23 before the start of his rookie season.

Knile Davis and Christine Michael dominated last year's combine, but I'm glad I picked Eddie Lacy. That's not to say that Davis or MIchael couldn't have a better career than Lacy over the long haul, but I don't emphasize the combine or pro days. They're somewhat important, but when I'm on the clock about to make my pick, I'm thinking other factors more. Height and weight measurements from the Combine figure heavily into the decision-making as well as things like hand size for QBs.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:37 pm

Seastrunk had 0, count em', 0 receptions at Baylor.
Sure he will blow up the combine, but unless he can show at the combine that he can catch out of the backfield, then he has to be a once in a lifetime player to hold the value that this thread thinks he holds.
If he can't catch out of the backfield, in today's NFL, then he will be a two down player who may not even get all of those carries on 1st and 2nd down.
I love him as a player, but he will have to prove to him he has a set of hands and Baylor just didn't use them before I consider drafting him.
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:04 pm

HawkeyeState wrote:Seastrunk had 0, count em', 0 receptions at Baylor.
Not exactly. He had nine catches last year (only played two seasons). More importantly, Baylor's system doesn't use RBs as pass catchers. Why would you throw dump off passes to your RB when he's averaging 7.7 yards per carry?

I don't love Seastrunk, but his lack of college receptions doesn't tell us much.
Last edited by dlf_jules on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

jason401
Starter
Starter

Postby jason401 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:05 pm

FWIW...

He had 0 this past season. He did have 9 the year before (obviously not a lot). But if you watch the film from 2012, you'll see him make some nice catches. So he can catch. The Baylor offense just doesn't use the RB's as pass catchers. They had a combined 5 receptions between Seastrunk, Martin, and Linwood. And all three of them had over 120 carries each.

But I do agree, if at the combine he sucks in the pass catching drills his stock will definitely drop.

*Beat me to it Jules.

teambadknees
Starter
Starter

Postby teambadknees » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:29 pm

It's started...Seastrunk knows he can run faster than a 4.3. I don't know if his quote is out of context but sure sounds like he thinks it's happened already.

“There’s not a lot of running backs that’s my size that’s running below a 4.3. That’s outstanding. That’s unreal,” Seastrunk said.

This doesn't mean he will shoot up a lot of teams boards but I'm sure one team will fall in love with his speed and agility *cough oakland* I still have him behind a good number of backs but hey maybe someone will draft him with intentions of making him a starter. :pray:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -than-4-3/
The Bad Knees 12 team PPR TE Premium
QB: k Cousins, B Osweiler, R Wilson
RB: Clement*, J Connor*, J Crockett, M Jones, D Lewis, B Oliver, D Robinson, L Taliaferro, C Thompson, Z Zenner
WR: T Boyd*, John Brown, Corey Davis*, J Edleman, D Hopkins, J Janis, Perriman, R Randle, Albert Wilson
TE: C Gillmore, OJ Howard*,V McDonald, M Pruitt, J Reed, W Tye

The Waterboy 12 team PPR, Defensive big play
2014 Runner-Up 2015 Champs
QB: K Cousins, M Ryan
RB: D Cobb, M Jones, D Lewis, R Matthews, D Murray,J Randle, T Rawls, B Sankey, S Ware, J White, D Woodhead, Z Zenner
WR: D Adams, K Allen, DGB, D Bryant, A Cooper, D Thomas
TE: E Ebron, H Miller, A Sefarian-Jenkins
DL: J Casey, G Hardy, JPP, S Tuitt, O Vernon
LB: S Anthony, J Collins, J Freeman, J Hicks, M Kendricks, R Shazier, Telvin Smith
DB: M Barron, D Lowery, TJ McDonald, H Smith

vtguy88
Role Player
Role Player

Postby vtguy88 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:20 pm

So, Seastrunk had the highest, not just among RBs but among all players, vertical and broad jumps in the entire combine...at 5'9". That seems like incredible power in the lower body, and decimated the combine. What does this do to his overall value, especially since he had a slower 40 time? He honestly looks like he has the skills to be a power back, but at a much smaller size...which basically means he can't be a power back. I really have no idea what to make of this guy
12-Team PPR & IDP(1.5/solo,4.5/sack,6/int,etc) 8 off., 10 IDP starters w/ inflated QB scoring
QB: M.Stafford,J.Cutler
RB: G.Bernard,J.Hill,S.Ridley,C.Michael,C.Hyde,I.Crowell,J.McKinnon,C.Sims
WR: J.Jones,A.Jeffery,S.Watkins,D.Hopkins,J.Gordon,O.Beckham,P.Richardson,B.Quick,J.Hunter
TE: L.Green,T.Kelce
LB: B.Wagner,N.Bowman,S.Weatherspoon,D.Davis,D.Washington,K.Robinson,S.Moore,T.Smith,P.Brown
DE: C.Jones,G.Hardy,C.Johnson,J.Hughes
DT: N.Suh,G.Atkins
CB: A.Verner,J.McCourty
S: M.Burnett,D.Whitner

12-Team,12-keeper, non-ppr, IDP-1pt/tackle,3/sack, 4/INT, etc
QB: M.Ryan
RB: D.Murray,A.Foster,T.Mason,I.Crowell,S.Vereen,J.Randle,C.Michael
WR: AJ Green,A.Jeffery,J.Gordon,M.Evans,A.Robinson
TE: D.Walker,E.Ebron
LB: L.David,B.Wagner,M.Kendricks,D.Trevathan,T.Smith
DT: J.Casey
DE: M.Wilkerson,E.Ansah
CB: J.McCourty
S: H.Smith,J.Cyprien

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:30 pm

I haven't studied Seastrunk, but have seen some tape on him. He's very explosive but does dance a bit like many are saying. His second/third gear are scary though. I think that type of raw talent will find him drafted in either round 2 or 3 of the NFL draft. However, in regards to his lack of pass catching while at Baylor.. the only question I have for those of you more familiar with him is on the few passes that went his way, how did he look? Even if the sample size is small, I'd be curious as to what your take is on the passes that did go his way. Did he seem comfortable catching? Were any of them double-catches or drops? How did his hands look... again, I know we're talking about a very small sample size but that's better than discounting his pass catching ability completely.

Who knows, maybe it just isn't part of Baylor's game.

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:30 pm

On the plus side, Seastrunk also showed that he does possess some pass-catching ability. I don't think he gets drafted in the 1st round, but he probably won't get past the 3rd.

In fantasy, I think he'd be a value in the late 1st or early 2nd, but I'm guessing he'll go off the board in the 1st round of most standard leagues.

I'm liking him more now than I did before the Combine, but I still don't like that he's a little on the old side for a rookie - he'll turn 23 before the start of his rookie season. He's only about two years younger than LeSean McCoy, who's been in the NFL since 2009.

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:35 pm

I don't care about his age, he hasn't been used that much. He'll just be a "Sproles type" or "Fjax type" RB who defies the 30 year old barrier.

Not sure how I rank him though. This year is super confusing.

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:14 pm

For a guy who was touted as a burner who claimed a sub 4.3 40 time, 4.51 is kind of pathetic.

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:For a guy who was touted as a burner who claimed a sub 4.3 40 time, 4.51 is kind of pathetic.

Eh, I'm always skeptical of "official" times. I don't know what his unofficial time was, but I prefer those.

Agree that it isn't quite "burner" times, but film speed is what matters.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:29 pm

If you watch Lache on tape he certainly appears to have a different gear than most. I'd say his game speed is faster than his combine 4.51 "official" time. I think at times it comes down to how much he trained on his starting techniques. It is just speculation but sometimes a couple tenths slow can be attributed to poor starts or a poor 10 yd split. He certainly shouldn't have opened his mouth about running in the 4.3's but all in all I'd be a bit more concerned about his landing spot and where in the draft he gets selected than anything else. His age is a small knock as his lack of receptions on his resume. He represents real nice value as a 2nd round rookie pick though. Great vertical indicates a lot of explosion in his lower body. Not sure why his 40 isn't on par with his great vert. My guess is it's more technique than actual lack of speed. Speed I see on his college tape. Don't really need to depend on a combine 40 time to know he is really fast.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

all day
Starter
Starter

Postby all day » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:30 pm

I was a bit disappointed that he came in so small. I was hoping that he would be over 210. 201 is okay but 210 would have made him more attractive.

Yes, his 40 was a bit disappointing but 4.5 isn't going to kill him for me. 40 times are not that important but agility (3 cone and short shuttle) and explosion drills (broad jump and vert) are and he destroyed those. Jumping 41" at 5'9" is sick.

I am not really worried about his reception numbers. Baylor didn't throw to the RB much but he looked pretty solid in the combine drills catching the ball. It will be interesting to see if they put him through a bunch of receiver drills at his pro day.

Still in my top 5 backs but some of the other performers (Sankey) probably jumped him in my rankings.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 pm

4.5 is not a big deal. He's an amazing athlete and can dominate in space.

I prefer power runners like Hyde and mason, but I think lache has the highest ceiling of any RB in this draft.