Jordan Matthews vs Allen Robinson

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Jordan Matthews vs Allen Robinson

Postby Defender » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 am

On talent alone, who do you like better? And where would you draft each one?

I have them at 1.06 & 1.07, and I think Matthews has the edge on talent, but alma mater loyalty influences me to put Robinson over Matthews.

Thoughts?
Last edited by Defender on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
The standard is the standard.

NewtotheBiz
Starter
Starter

Re: Jordan Matthews vs Allen Ronbinson

Postby NewtotheBiz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:42 am

Mattews has a more consistent track record of prolonged production (3 years to AR's 2 years), and has done it against better competition (SEC vs Big 10), but they are very similar otherwise. Both make the catch with their hands, both are nearly identical in size, and neither possesses elite speed, but that is not evident in their on-field play (in other words, they don't get caught from behind often).

I'm personally more familiar with Matthews being a Tennessee fan, but both will be successful. Matthews is a cousin of Jerry Rice for what that's worth. You could maybe make an argument for pedigree with him. If I'm drafting and I have the choice between the two, I'm taking Matthews, but it's only on personal preference and familiarity as I think they are too close to make a definitive argument for either prior to the combine. Something could come out there that pushes me one way or the other.
16-tm, 1-PPR, (SK:TK 3:1.5)
1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1K 3DL 4LB 4DB

QB: Brady, Dalton
RB: Murray, DMart, Bernard, R Mathews, K Dixon
WR: Bryant, OBJ, Evans, Ty Hill, M Jones, Ty Williams, Gabriel, Beasley, Inman, Peake
TE: Eifert, J Thomas, Tye
K: Walsh
DL: Ansah, Wake, C Johnson, M Johnson, Fowler, Ygakoue
LB: D Jones, J Hicks, D Harris, Compton, M Kendricks
DB: Church, Graham, Quin, McDougald

12-tm Devy, .5PPR, (SK:TK 5:1)
1QB 2-3RB 3-5WR 1-2TE 3DL 3LB 3DB

QB: Cam, Stafford, E Manning, Cousins
RB: Bell, McCoy, Martin, Lacy, JStew, J White, J Rodgers
WR: Brown, OBJ, D Bryant, M Thomas, Decker, M Jones, Gabriel, Garcon, T Smith
TE: Reed, Henry, Rudolph
DL: Mack, Donald, Cox, Richardson, M Jackson, Spence
LB: Shazier, T Davis, Barron, Ingram, Barron, Kerrigan
DB: K Coleman, Nelson, Addae

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 am

Defender wrote:On talent alone, who do you like better? And where would you draft each one?

I have them at 1.06 & 1.07, and I think Matthews has the edge on talent, but alma mater loyalty influences me to put Robinson over Matthews.

Thoughts?
Most people here are much more knowledgeable about the subject than I am, and they seem to prefer Matthews. Watching footage from this year, I liked what I saw from Robinson and it looked like he had a much more expanded route tree. Mattews didn't look bad by any means, and this is based on limited research, but I might give Robinson the edge between these two :think:

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 am

These two have been two of my favorites since last year and will jump for joy if I can pick either of them in any dynasty league I am in. That being said, I'm also a sucker for blood lines and general drive to succeed. I haven't read or heard much from Robinson on these fronts but Matthews is Rice's cousin and the fact that he wanted take on the defensive backs for the Senior Bowl says a lot about his work ethic to me. That type of work ethic is often the thing that can keep a top prospect from gaining elite status and isn't necessarily the easiest thing to coach into a player. That puts Matthews ahead for me, but not insanely far ahead. I have both of them in my top 5 at WR.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Jordan Matthews vs Allen Robinson

Postby ebsteelers » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:05 pm

you said yourself your a penn state guy.. then take the penn state guy..

i think they both are gonna be great pros.. I am state fan also... and looking to take robinson in at least one of my leagues.

heres the thing.. if you dont take robinson, and he goes on to have a great career your gonna be kicking yourself. so take your penn state guy and enjoy his career

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:34 pm

ebsteelers wrote:you said yourself your a penn state guy.. then take the penn state guy..

i think they both are gonna be great pros.. I am state fan also... and looking to take robinson in at least one of my leagues.

heres the thing.. if you dont take robinson, and he goes on to have a great career your gonna be kicking yourself. so take your penn state guy and enjoy his career
That's kind of a poor reason to choose a player unless you absolutely think they are equal. Have to put your loyalties aside when playing FF...

That being said i think that Matthews is the better player and i think he's more proven against much better competition. By much better competition it blows the little 12 out of the water and he was really the only big time threat on Vandy so teams had to focus on him.
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Indygator wrote:
ebsteelers wrote:you said yourself your a penn state guy.. then take the penn state guy..

That's kind of a poor reason to choose a player unless you absolutely think they are equal. Have to put your loyalties aside when playing FF...

That being said i think that Matthews is the better player and i think he's more proven against much better competition. By much better competition it blows the little 12 out of the water and he was really the only big time threat on Vandy so teams had to focus on him.
Its really not a poor reason when he says he has them 1.06 and 1.07. If its a coin flip to him why not take the player your going to enjoy rooting for thru out his career and have followed thru out college. Likely they are going to be drafted very close to enjoy other in the real draft as well. If they are 1.01 and 2.16 then its one thing to be spilt. But if your spliting hairs might as well take the guy you like.

As far as the competition goes, the SEC is a better conference, but Vanderbilt was very lucky in their scheduling when looking at who they really played rather then just that he was in the SEC.

OP, i dont think you can go wrong either way

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:10 pm

Indygator wrote:

-THE DUDE-
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby -THE DUDE- » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:25 pm

ebsteelers wrote:
Indygator wrote:

Its really not a poor reason when he says he has them 1.06 and 1.07. If its a coin flip to him why not take the player your going to enjoy rooting for thru out his career and have followed thru out college. Likely they are going to be drafted very close to enjoy other in the real draft as well. If they are 1.01 and 2.16 then its one thing to be spilt. But if your spliting hairs might as well take the guy you like.

As far as the competition goes, the SEC is a better conference, but Vanderbilt was very lucky in their scheduling when looking at who they really played rather then just that he was in the SEC.

OP, i dont think you can go wrong either way
that's why i said if he really thinks they are that close...i've just seen too many FF players lose out on better players because they rate their own favorite players too high because they can't seem to let check their loyalties. I was mainly just pointing that out in general as we go through draft season more so than just this one specific example.
QB: A. Rodgers, Herbert, Purdy, Levis
RB: ETN, Bijan, Gibbs, Mostert, Dobbins, R. White
WR: AJB, Diggs, ARSB, G. Wilson, Kirk, E. Moore, Mingo, Wicks
TE: Fant, Njoku, Chiggy, I. Smith, Musgrave

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:06 pm

Based on production, I would lean towards Matthews. Based on physical talent alone, I'm not sure I wouldn't go with Robinson instead. He jumps out a little bit more for me. It's really close. I probably don't have a shot at either, but I'm glad I don't have to make a decision before the Combine and the NFL Draft between these two.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:21 pm

Honestly, if both are available at my pick, I'm taking whatever one was drafted to a better situation, they're that close. I'm REALLY hoping the 49er's grab one of them.

Mike_Blahnik
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Mike_Blahnik » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm

I'm at Robinson>Matthews, personally.
League of Economical Gentlemen
12 Team 2QB .5ppr with return yardage
QB/QB/RB/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/Flex

For the Gipper
Newton/Tannehill/G. Smith/Henne/Fitzpatrick
Bernard/Ivory/Hunter/Carey/
Patterson/Floyd/Blackmon/Shorts/T Williams/Adams
Gronkowski/ASJ/Gresham

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Robinson does a lot of things just a little better then Matthews. Matthews is a little faster but Robinson is more physical, better burst off of the ball and runs crisper routes.

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:59 am

Indygator wrote: that's why i said if he really thinks they are that close...i've just seen too many FF players lose out on better players because they rate their own favorite players too high because they can't seem to let check their loyalties. I was mainly just pointing that out in general as we go through draft season more so than just this one specific example.
I almost take it to too much of an extreme. I scare myself away from draft Patriots because I know I have unrealistic hopes for them. While everyone has their preference, once the draft happens one will probably land in a more favorable scenario for our purposes. I wouldn't expect the combine to be something that separates them.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

RossOfTheYear
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RossOfTheYear » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:40 am

per NFL.com and Rotoworld

Vanderbilt senior WR Jordan Matthews was "spectacular" at Tuesday's Senior Bowl practice, according to NFL.com's Chase Goodbread.
Matthews was upset with himself for dropping some passes on Monday, and he made up for it the next day. "He will go into the briar patch, take his hits and keep on ticking," NFL Media analyst Charles Davis said after Tuesday's practice. "I never worry about that part with him. Obviously, people are going to want to know what he runs (at the combine). All in all, I think he's a big-time prospect. Let's face it: How many quarterbacks threw to him at Vanderbilt? Try to name them all. Yet everyone knew he was coming each week in the SEC." Matthews remained after practice to work on red-zone throws with Derek Carr. He's a coach's dream.
Game of Jones
10 team Dynasty, 1 ppr, 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1 D/ST, 1 K
Ryan, Palmer, Wentz, Prescott
Gurley, Bell, Martin, Forte, Rawls, Henry, Don Jackson
Julio Jones, Evans, Benjamin, Crabtree, Watkins (IR), Diggs, Dorsett, Enunwa
Kelce, Henry
Carolina
Tucker