Jordan Matthews vs Allen Robinson

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Re: Jordan Matthews vs Allen Ronbinson

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:03 am

flexcapacitor wrote:Robinson does a lot of things just a little better then Matthews. Matthews is a little faster but Robinson is more physical, better burst off of the ball and runs crisper routes.
I don't know that I can agree with you that Robinson runs crisper routes than Matthews.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:19 am

I find it interesting that Matt Waldman had some negative comments about Matthews' ability to separate at the Senior Bowl practices. I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs at the Combine and hearing the opinions of other evaluators.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/01/22/re ... ces-day-3/

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:04 am

bob2005 wrote:I find it interesting that Matt Waldman had some negative comments about Matthews' ability to separate at the Senior Bowl practices. I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs at the Combine and hearing the opinions of other evaluators.

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2014/01/22/re ... ces-day-3/
He's the best guy out there (imo) in terms of being willing to point out flaws in prospects that otherwise get glowing reviews. I really appreciate that.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin

QB - Romo, Vick
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:08 am

swinderman wrote: He's the best guy out there (imo) in terms of being willing to point out flaws in prospects that otherwise get glowing reviews. I really appreciate that.
Waldman is definitely the most in-depth and comprehensive when it comes to skill position players. Even when he gets it wrong, he at least made a case and it's usually entertaining too. I appreciate his contrarian views because he states his reasons.

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:06 am

ebsteelers wrote:
Indygator wrote:
ebsteelers wrote:you said yourself your a penn state guy.. then take the penn state guy..

i think they both are gonna be great pros.. I am state fan also... and looking to take robinson in at least one of my leagues.

heres the thing.. if you dont take robinson, and he goes on to have a great career your gonna be kicking yourself. so take your penn state guy and enjoy his career
That's kind of a poor reason to choose a player unless you absolutely think they are equal. Have to put your loyalties aside when playing FF...

That being said i think that Matthews is the better player and i think he's more proven against much better competition. By much better competition it blows the little 12 out of the water and he was really the only big time threat on Vandy so teams had to focus on him.
Its really not a poor reason when he says he has them 1.06 and 1.07. If its a coin flip to him why not take the player your going to enjoy rooting for thru out his career and have followed thru out college. Likely they are going to be drafted very close to enjoy other in the real draft as well. If they are 1.01 and 2.16 then its one thing to be spilt. But if your spliting hairs might as well take the guy you like.

As far as the competition goes, the SEC is a better conference, but Vanderbilt was very lucky in their scheduling when looking at who they really played rather then just that he was in the SEC.

OP, i dont think you can go wrong either way
I don't think that's a horrible reason. For me the player I'd like to watch is Manziel. Would I take him 1.01? Not at this point, but I would take him if he fell into the right situation, had a good offseason, and fell to me at the right spot in the late 1st, early 2nd round. I'm not sure he's going to translate really well, but he will be interesting to watch. Yes, you want to build a solid squad, but you can give a player an edge for entertaining you a bit more on game day I think =D

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am

jubben wrote:
I don't think that's a horrible reason. For me the player I'd like to watch is Manziel. Would I take him 1.01? Not at this point, but I would take him if he fell into the right situation, had a good offseason, and fell to me at the right spot in the late 1st, early 2nd round. I'm not sure he's going to translate really well, but he will be interesting to watch. Yes, you want to build a solid squad, but you can give a player an edge for entertaining you a bit more on game day I think =D
I know a number of people that build their teams this way. Not necessarily their favorite team, but players they love to watch. Its really a similar rationale as to why so many people love the young WR and draft a bunch of kids. Its so much more fun watching the guy break out and owning him as he continues to develop than watching Brian Hartline and thinking "ho-hum" every game.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick

bob2005
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bob2005 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm

From CBS Sports' Rob Rang:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... rs-fallers
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt: Matthews' production in the SEC speaks for itself, but he dropped a handful of passes throughout the week of practice. Even more alarming, he showed little in terms of burst or straight-line speed, struggling to gain separation from opposing cornerbacks.
I'm only mildly concerned about the recent criticisms of Matthews. I really think that this may serve to knock down his price a little and make him more affordable.

Defender
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Defender » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:57 pm

bob2005 wrote:From CBS Sports' Rob Rang:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... rs-fallers
Jordan Matthews, WR, Vanderbilt: Matthews' production in the SEC speaks for itself, but he dropped a handful of passes throughout the week of practice. Even more alarming, he showed little in terms of burst or straight-line speed, struggling to gain separation from opposing cornerbacks.
I'm only mildly concerned about the recent criticisms of Matthews. I really think that this may serve to knock down his price a little and make him more affordable.
Agreed. This doesn't affect where I have Matthews, but drafting at 1.10, I doubt I'll have a shot at him.
The standard is the standard.

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:14 pm

swinderman wrote:
flexcapacitor wrote:Robinson does a lot of things just a little better then Matthews. Matthews is a little faster but Robinson is more physical, better burst off of the ball and runs crisper routes.
I don't know that I can agree with you that Robinson runs crisper routes than Matthews.
I liked Matthews more originally until I went and looked at them again. That's just what I see I guess. Robinson has a good burst off of the line to get separation from the corners and better in/out of breaks.

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:11 am

flexcapacitor wrote:
swinderman wrote:
I liked Matthews more originally until I went and looked at them again. That's just what I see I guess. Robinson has a good burst off of the line to get separation from the corners and better in/out of breaks.
Aside from his one catch, Matthews was very uninspiring in his Senior Bowl performance. I wasn't very impressed

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01 pm

flexcapacitor wrote:
swinderman wrote:
Just finally went back and did what you suggested. I'll admit it, I see the same thing you do. I'd also add, Robinson seems to do a better job catching the ball too. In fact, I know I am probably the only person that thinks this, but Robinson is currently ahead of Watkins on my draft list.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 am

swinderman wrote:Just finally went back and did what you suggested. I'll admit it, I see the same thing you do. I'd also add, Robinson seems to do a better job catching the ball too. In fact, I know I am probably the only person that thinks this, but Robinson is currently ahead of Watkins on my draft list.
I can definitely see that. He's my favorite RECEIVER in the draft at this point. With the way our rookie drafts go, I actually expect Watkins to be there at 1.02 but might trade out of that pick for a proven player or some sort of package deal. The only two guys I REALLY want in this draft are Robinson and Sankey. I could probably land them at 1.02 and 1.04, but I feel I might be able to get better value by trading those picks away

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Mike_Blahnik
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Mike_Blahnik » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:51 pm

swinderman wrote: In fact, I know I am probably the only person that thinks this, but Robinson is currently ahead of Watkins on my draft list.
You are not alone, but keep your damn voice down, lol :)
League of Economical Gentlemen
12 Team 2QB .5ppr with return yardage
QB/QB/RB/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/Flex

For the Gipper
Newton/Tannehill/G. Smith/Henne/Fitzpatrick
Bernard/Ivory/Hunter/Carey/
Patterson/Floyd/Blackmon/Shorts/T Williams/Adams
Gronkowski/ASJ/Gresham

teambadknees
Starter
Starter

Postby teambadknees » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:42 pm

Matthews was absolutely dominant during his last two seasons. He accounted for nearly half of his teams receiving yards and receiving TDs..that's impressive. He definitely has the production to go along with talent. I've heard he has a very good work ethic too.

Robinson was also a very dominant receiver for two years (although to a slightly less degree). He put up good numbers in his own right and to me looks more physically gifted on an eyeball test. This is my opinion however, no facts to back it. The biggest advantage he has over Matthews IMO is he is a year younger. I think age of when a player first breaks out along with the age they come out of the draft is important. The younger the better.

Overall I'd take either one and a large portion of who I'd take depends on who drafts them. Taking out of consideration of who drafts them I put it this way: higher floor is Matthews and higher ceiling is Robinson. I have them both ranked very high.
The Bad Knees 12 team PPR TE Premium
QB: k Cousins, B Osweiler, R Wilson
RB: Clement*, J Connor*, J Crockett, M Jones, D Lewis, B Oliver, D Robinson, L Taliaferro, C Thompson, Z Zenner
WR: T Boyd*, John Brown, Corey Davis*, J Edleman, D Hopkins, J Janis, Perriman, R Randle, Albert Wilson
TE: C Gillmore, OJ Howard*,V McDonald, M Pruitt, J Reed, W Tye

The Waterboy 12 team PPR, Defensive big play
2014 Runner-Up 2015 Champs
QB: K Cousins, M Ryan
RB: D Cobb, M Jones, D Lewis, R Matthews, D Murray,J Randle, T Rawls, B Sankey, S Ware, J White, D Woodhead, Z Zenner
WR: D Adams, K Allen, DGB, D Bryant, A Cooper, D Thomas
TE: E Ebron, H Miller, A Sefarian-Jenkins
DL: J Casey, G Hardy, JPP, S Tuitt, O Vernon
LB: S Anthony, J Collins, J Freeman, J Hicks, M Kendricks, R Shazier, Telvin Smith
DB: M Barron, D Lowery, TJ McDonald, H Smith

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 pm

teambadknees wrote:
Overall I'd take either one and a large portion of who I'd take depends on who drafts them. Taking out of consideration of who drafts them I put it this way: higher floor is Matthews and higher ceiling is Robinson. I have them both ranked very high.
Definitely think this sums it up very well and very fairly.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick