2013 vs 2014 WRs

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: 2013 vs 2014 WRs

Postby Doggie » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:33 am

I would love to provide an answer. However, I don't see how you can effectively compare positions, especially LB-WR unless we are only talking points. The only way to compare two positions with points being equal, is if there were an equal number of available players at each position, thus making each as valuable (make sense?) See, part of what makes Jimmy Graham as valuable as he is, isn't the fact that he simply scored "X points" ... but that he scores "X points" compared to the other players at his position. So, to compare WR's which is probably the most plentiful position to LB (which I am not that familiar with) is probably not as effective as comparing each to other players at their SAME POSITION then comparing their VALUES.

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:26 am

doggie wrote:I would love to provide an answer. However, I don't see how you can effectively compare positions, especially LB-WR unless we are only talking points. The only way to compare two positions with points being equal, is if there were an equal number of available players at each position, thus making each as valuable (make sense?) See, part of what makes Jimmy Graham as valuable as he is, isn't the fact that he simply scored "X points" ... but that he scores "X points" compared to the other players at his position. So, to compare WR's which is probably the most plentiful position to LB (which I am not that familiar with) is probably not as effective as comparing each to other players at their SAME POSITION then comparing their VALUES.

I agree that comparing to others in the same position group is what is most important. But you still need to compare between position groups to really know when you want to trade.

In this case, there are two steps... 1) What is Patterson going to become compared to WR's? (Top 5, top 10, top 15, etc.)
2) Would you give up that production at WR for a similar scoring LB, or do you value WR more than LB?

My deal is that I always end up valuing WR over every other position, so I get a stacked roster at WR and everyone gives me crap because my "prices are too high."

smudga55
Role Player
Role Player

Postby smudga55 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:30 am

please dont deal CP for a LB.....unless its to me.
I do play in an IDP dyno (just not in my sig) and the values of IDPs are very scheme dependant. i cant think of any deal where I'd send a top 20 dyno WR for the no 1 dyno LB tbh.
12 team, 1 PPR, 2QB dynasty. 24 man rosters.
Keeping 12
Starting
2 QB
3 RB
4 WR
1 TE

QB Luck, Rogers, Osweiller
RB Lynch, Gore, Gio, Ingram, C Michael, Rawls.Matt Jones
WR AJ Green, Julio Jones, Evans, Cooper. Zona Floyd
TE ,Gronk,
K Waiver
D Waiver

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:53 am

smudga55 wrote:please dont deal CP for a LB.....unless its to me.
I do play in an IDP dyno (just not in my sig) and the values of IDPs are very scheme dependant. i cant think of any deal where I'd send a top 20 dyno WR for the no 1 dyno LB tbh.

That is kind of how I value LB's, but the rest of the league doesn't.

My problem is you have very few LB's who are consistently good year to year, and even the best of the bunch (Willis, previously) can be unseated (by Bowman). Whereas WR's seem to have longer careers and are always startable, even if not consistently WR1.

(Sadly, the player I most wanted to trade for was Bowman, and thankfully he wouldn't budge. I'm sure he will come back from the ACL injury, but it won't be easy)

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:34 pm

Don't know if ya'll care, but I put the rankings together and averaged where they got ranked.

Sammy Watkins 1.81
Cordarrelle Patterson 3.56
Keenan Allen 3.81
Marqise Lee 4.06
Deandre Hopkins 5.00
Mike Evans 6.08
Jordan Matthews 6.15
Odell Beckham, Jr.** 7.00
Tavon Austin 7.50
Kelvin Benjamin 7.80
Brandon Coleman** 8.00
Donte Moncreif** 8.00
Justin Hunter 8.38
DeVante Adams 8.50
Allen Robinson 8.70
Quitton Patton** 9.00
Robert Woods** 10.00
Jarvis Landry** 10.50
Brandin Cooks** 11.50

Watkins, Patterson, Allen, and Lee were the only players that made every list. Beckham, Coleman, Moncreif, Patton, Woods, Landry, and Cooks were on two or fewer lists. Take those facts how you'd like I suppose.

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:38 am

Any updated thoughts on this?

Camperhead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Camperhead » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:31 pm

So Hopkins did not make every list, and Markus Wheaton made none of them?
10-Team Superflex League, 25 rosters spots
ROSTERS CUT TO 15 MID-AUGUST
ROOKIE/FREE AGENT DRAFT LATE AUGUST

Lineup requirements: 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR/TE, 1 K, 1 Def, 1 Flex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
TD=6, TDP=4, 15 yds rush/rec=1, 35 yds pass=1, 2 rec=1

QB - Mahomes, Wilson, Bridgewater, Hurts, Heinicke, Eason
RB - Kamara, Chubb, LeVeon Bell, David Johnson, Dillon
WR/TE - Hopkins, Godwin, A.J. Brown, Sutton, Lamb, Harry, A.J. Green, B.Edwards, P.Williams, G.Davis
K* - Tucker, Prater
DT* - Ravens, Buccaneers
* two of each required per league rules

LEAGUE CHAMPS 2013, 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:00 pm

Camperhead wrote:So Hopkins did not make every list, and Markus Wheaton made none of them?
It appears that way.

I contest that Hopkins is being vastly underrated and he was one of my target "buy-lows" this offseason.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Monkey » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:43 am

Hopkins made 14/16 lists, so he was pretty close. And no, Wheaton was not on any of the lists. I just joined a dynasty league last year so I didn't really research the rookies that well before, what's the hype on Wheaton? Where was he ranked last year around the same time compared to the others? Is he like a Moncrief type or like a Cooks type for this year?

Seems like Wheaton and Lattimore are high on people's lists, but since I was only involved with dynasty since last year, I don't get it. Though it is interesting to see the Steeler's website currently has Wheaton listed at WR1 and Antonio Brown at WR2, so I'd imagine he'll get more then 64 yards this year.

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:56 am

jubben wrote:Hopkins made 14/16 lists, so he was pretty close. And no, Wheaton was not on any of the lists. I just joined a dynasty league last year so I didn't really research the rookies that well before, what's the hype on Wheaton? Where was he ranked last year around the same time compared to the others? Is he like a Moncrief type or like a Cooks type for this year?

Seems like Wheaton and Lattimore are high on people's lists, but since I was only involved with dynasty since last year, I don't get it. Though it is interesting to see the Steeler's website currently has Wheaton listed at WR1 and Antonio Brown at WR2, so I'd imagine he'll get more then 64 yards this year.

If Wheaton is listed as WR1 that is only due to how they will use him in the formation-- Brown is the #1 WR for the Steelers.

That said, Wheaton was a clear tier 3 guy last year IMO, but others had him higher. I had it:
Tier 1: Austin, Patterson, Hopkins
Tier 2: Allen, Hunter
Tier 3: Wheaton, Woods

I was very happy to have him fall to me at 2.05 (Dobson went 2.07, Terrance Williams 3.03). He was a potential late first round pick in some leagues, but I considered him a second round pick. He was given no opportunity (and had minor injuries) in 2013, but with Cotchery/Sanders gone from PIT, he is in line to be the #2 WR.

AK49
Captain
Captain

Postby AK49 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:22 pm

Doggie wrote:I have a question for those of you more experienced dynasty owners

Last year Keenan went late-1st round in most drafts. Yet now, he is mostly top 3 on everyone's list now while Tavon is missing on most. Whereas last year Tavon was toated the WR1

If you ask me, this speaks A LOT to situation over talent. Do we really think Keenan is that much better than Tavon .. or could it be that Keenan landed a starting role with a bounceback QB (Rivers).

K. Allen- 6'2" 206 lb was tough to evaluate... watching film on him he was my second favorite WR after Hopkins. However, he had a turrible QB, horrendous 40 and a late knee injury. His size and film were much more inline with a prototypical WR in the NFL.

Austin - 5'8" 174 lb was different. Not a typical combination of attributes that lends to succeeding in the NFL. However, there were people who were very excited about him and the Rams only added fuel to the fire by drafting him in the top 10.
There was a large contingent of Dynasty owners who wanted nothing to to with the guy. I cheered when he was taken ahead of me in rookie drafts.

Lastly, I recommend making your dynasty rankings now and sticking pretty close to them. For wide receivers I strongly preach talent over situation. I mean look people were groaning that AJ Green went to Cincy with a fellow rookie QB. In Denver I dumped Demaryius when Tebow took over... ugh.
For Running Backs I think situation factors in more. Bell is not the most talented back in the 2013 class, but his situation bolstered his production.
12 Team PPR TE Premium
(1) QB Stafford, Cutler
(1-3)RB: CJ Spiller, F Jax, Mathews, Latavius
(2-4)WR: AJ Green, C. Patterson, Alshon Jeffery, M. Floyd, J. Blackmon, M. Wheaton, M. Brown
(0-2)TE: Julius Thomas, Ladarius Green, K. Rudolph

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:27 am

nope going into the draft process allen was universally a to 2 or 3 choice .... then there was a knee injury a suspect urine test (later proved to be a snafu I think)
and a slow forty. austin was overdrafted and shot up boards he literally was not even in my top 20 due to size concerns and I was on the record as comparing him to dante hall .... a helluva returner but very suspect in fantasy except in return yardage leagues.
allen has perfect size and good enough speed and is a technician and reminded me of cris carter
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:02 am

AK49 wrote:
Doggie wrote:I have a question for those of you more experienced dynasty owners

Last year Keenan went late-1st round in most drafts. Yet now, he is mostly top 3 on everyone's list now while Tavon is missing on most. Whereas last year Tavon was toated the WR1

If you ask me, this speaks A LOT to situation over talent. Do we really think Keenan is that much better than Tavon .. or could it be that Keenan landed a starting role with a bounceback QB (Rivers).

K. Allen- 6'2" 206 lb was tough to evaluate... watching film on him he was my second favorite WR after Hopkins. However, he had a turrible QB, horrendous 40 and a late knee injury. His size and film were much more inline with a prototypical WR in the NFL.

Austin - 5'8" 174 lb was different. Not a typical combination of attributes that lends to succeeding in the NFL. However, there were people who were very excited about him and the Rams only added fuel to the fire by drafting him in the top 10.
There was a large contingent of Dynasty owners who wanted nothing to to with the guy. I cheered when he was taken ahead of me in rookie drafts.

Lastly, I recommend making your dynasty rankings now and sticking pretty close to them. For wide receivers I strongly preach talent over situation. I mean look people were groaning that AJ Green went to Cincy with a fellow rookie QB. In Denver I dumped Demaryius when Tebow took over... ugh.
For Running Backs I think situation factors in more. Bell is not the most talented back in the 2013 class, but his situation bolstered his production.

I agree with you, but I do think that Doggie is correct and people are being too influenced by situation now. Austin didn't perform, so he disappears... Allen performed, so he is overvalued.

That said, I think people were too cautious with Allen last year-- until his injury, he was the #1 WR. After he got hurt, his stock kept falling due to the injury, slow times, draft situation, etc. Now that he has proven himself, people are projecting based on his previous #1 WR attributes.

But I think people are falling victim to the recency bias and may be missing out on Austin.