Mike Evans

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Mike Evans

Postby Space Cowboy » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Vjax and Colston are the most common comparisons for Evans but now I'm starting to think maybe plexico?

Doggie
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Doggie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:46 am

Evans runs kinda wiry .. it's hard to describe. Colston runs kinda clumsy, so I get the comparison.

ATLion
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby ATLion » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:06 pm

He ran a 4.54 at a football camp in HS for what that's worth. I don't think VJax is a good comparison. He may be the same height (77") but he has a thinner build that VJax coming out of college (225 to 241) and assuming that Evans can run a mid-4.5 his 40 time is slower than VJax (4.46). I think Colston, Jordy Nelson, and Kenny Britt are more comparable.
12 Team/Non PPR/Non IDP
Standard Scoring
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, Flex (WR/RB/TE), TE, K, TM

QB: Rodgers; Beathard; Bridgewater
RB: Hyde; K. Hunt, Coleman, Thompson, Woodhead, Gore, Riddick, Prosise, Lacy, C. West
WR: Evans, Landry, DeSean, Matthews, Lee, Amendola, ARob
TE: Engram; Dickson
TM: Jaguars, Ravens
K: Bailey

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Butt Liqueur » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:36 pm

ATLion wrote:He ran a 4.54 at a football camp in HS for what that's worth. I don't think VJax is a good comparison. He may be the same height (77") but he has a thinner build that VJax coming out of college (225 to 241) and assuming that Evans can run a mid-4.5 his 40 time is slower than VJax (4.46). I think Colston, Jordy Nelson, and Kenny Britt are more comparable.
For what it's worth, I don't think Jordy is comparable to Evans at all.

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:17 pm

Yeah Nelson is a lot smoother than Evans. Britt was a good mention. Anyone have any thoughts on the Burress comparison?

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:26 pm

Butt Liqueur wrote:
ATLion wrote:He ran a 4.54 at a football camp in HS for what that's worth. I don't think VJax is a good comparison. He may be the same height (77") but he has a thinner build that VJax coming out of college (225 to 241) and assuming that Evans can run a mid-4.5 his 40 time is slower than VJax (4.46). I think Colston, Jordy Nelson, and Kenny Britt are more comparable.
For what it's worth, I don't think Jordy is comparable to Evans at all.
Completely agree Señor Liquer. I read that and was thinking to myself... if someone 6'5'' has the moves of Nelson in the open field I'm in.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
RB Foster, Peterson, Spiller, Khiry Robinson, Riddick,
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin
TE Cameron, Pitta, Bostick, Kelce, Griffin

2014: 2.01, 2.03, 2.04, 2.09, 2.10; 3.01, 3.02, 3.04, 3.05, 3.09

Team 2 - 12 team ppr - 21 man roster/4 man TS - 1QB 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE 1 DST 1 K
QB - Romo, Vick
RB - Lamar, Greene, Woodhead, Pierre Thomas, Daniel Thomas, Helu
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith
TE - Green, Witten, Robinson
2014: 1.08, 2.05, 3.08, 4.05

Follow me on Twitter! https://twitter.com/a_swinderman

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Space Cowboy wrote:Yeah Nelson is a lot smoother than Evans. Britt was a good mention. Anyone have any thoughts on the Burress comparison?
I have seen that one one place before, and in all honesty part of my issue is I'm struggling to remember Burress as anything more than a red zone threat. That being said, reaching back into the depths of my brain I'd say its probably reasonable at the very least.
Team 1 -12 team ppr league - 23 man roster/4 man TS - 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE

QB Rivers, Kaepernick
WR Demayrius, James Jones, Crabtree, Dobson, Boyce, Holmes, Malcolm Floyd, Goodwin

QB - Romo, Vick
WR - Gordon, Jeffery, Floyd, Cruz, Bailey, Blackmon, Britt, Holmes, Patton, Steve Smith

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 pm

I've been watching the youtube highlight videos lately to get an idea of who I like most out of Lee, Watkins, Matthews, and Robinson and the Mike Evan's video's appear themost impressive to me by far. It seems like he's falling down most people's draft boards. Would it be foolish to put him as the #2 pick after Sammy? I've always been a fan of the larger receivers and it seems like this guy just catches everything regardless of how covered he is. I'd like to hear people's opinions on why they like Lee more/less.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:04 pm

I put Evans after Lee as I like to see wide receivers do well in tough situation IN SPITE of their qbs, not because they have great qbs. Manziel is a great college qb, and so he is of course going to make his receivers look great (and at times great receivers will make good qbs look great). Manziel plays in the toughest conference in college football which I like, but he had a great qb and so i am less inclined to find evans amazing (just my opinion on the matter). Not saying that Evans is not a good WR, but I'm weary of the situation.

Lee has played well for two season (minus the injury plagued last one) IN SPITE of his qb play. That goes a long way in my book.

Along the same vein, seeing Jordan Matthews play in the SEC, put up huge numbers, and do so without a decent qb, is starting to get me higher on him versus Evans

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:33 pm

guyatwork37 wrote:I put Evans after Lee as I like to see wide receivers do well in tough situation IN SPITE of their qbs, not because they have great qbs. Manziel is a great college qb, and so he is of course going to make his receivers look great (and at times great receivers will make good qbs look great). Manziel plays in the toughest conference in college football which I like, but he had a great qb and so i am less inclined to find evans amazing (just my opinion on the matter). Not saying that Evans is not a good WR, but I'm weary of the situation.
And Josh Gordon had RG3 (at least for a bit)... how'd that turn out? :wink:

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:46 pm

Lately my Guy is telling me that Evans, not Sammy, will be the next WR to bust into the top 10, similar to Blackmon vs Alshon.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

guyatwork37
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby guyatwork37 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:41 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:
guyatwork37 wrote:I put Evans after Lee as I like to see wide receivers do well in tough situation IN SPITE of their qbs, not because they have great qbs. Manziel is a great college qb, and so he is of course going to make his receivers look great (and at times great receivers will make good qbs look great). Manziel plays in the toughest conference in college football which I like, but he had a great qb and so i am less inclined to find evans amazing (just my opinion on the matter). Not saying that Evans is not a good WR, but I'm weary of the situation.
And Josh Gordon had RG3 (at least for a bit)... how'd that turn out? :wink:
RG3 was a bust last season and Gordon has already been suspended for substance abuse and faces a year suspension if he fails another one. Gordon definitely talented, but I like less risky prospects personally.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 pm

I watched a lot of Evans and Manziel over the last 2 years, I'm actually the OP in this thread because I found Evans to be a very polarizing prospect, people seem to love him or hate him. I'm a big fan, when I watch the game tape I see Manziel's scrambling ability lead to some big plays for Evans but more times than not I see Evans bailing out Manziel on a poorly thrown ball into 2 or 3 defenders or always breaking off his route and coming back to his Qb to bail him out. I think his run after catch/speed is underrated too, he may not look explosive but for a guy who played in the best/toughest conference in football against a lot of guys who will be playing on Sundays I didn't see him get chased down from behind very often. He has great size,one of the lowest drop rates in football(great hands), high points the ball and works back to his Qb and very adequate speed. I compare him to Brandon Marshall, who is not very fast either ran between a 4.55-4.60 at the same size and he has been pretty good on Sundays. I have him ranked #2 right now on my early rookie board.

FF_EJuggernaut
Role Player
Role Player

Postby FF_EJuggernaut » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:39 pm

KingsKing wrote:
I watched a lot of Evans and Manziel over the last 2 years, I'm actually the OP in this thread because I found Evans to be a very polarizing prospect, people seem to love him or hate him. I'm a big fan, when I watch the game tape I see Manziel's scrambling ability lead to some big plays for Evans but more times than not I see Evans bailing out Manziel on a poorly thrown ball into 2 or 3 defenders or always breaking off his route and coming back to his Qb to bail him out. I think his run after catch/speed is underrated too, he may not look explosive but for a guy who played in the best/toughest conference in football against a lot of guys who will be playing on Sundays I didn't see him get chased down from behind very often. He has great size,one of the lowest drop rates in football(great hands), high points the ball and works back to his Qb and very adequate speed. I compare him to Brandon Marshall, who is not very fast either ran between a 4.55-4.60 at the same size and he has been pretty good on Sundays. I have him ranked #2 right now on my early rookie board.
Could not have said it better myself

Still like him to a VJax just not as fast.
12 Team Dynasty PPR 4 per Pass TD

P.Manning
D.Martin J.Charles L.Miller C.Thompson M.Gillislee
P.Garçon J.Blacmon C.Givens A.Jeffery J.Kerley S.Holmes L.Hankerson M.Floyd(SD)
J.Graham R.Housler
Cincy DS/T

aaroneous
Captain
Captain

Postby aaroneous » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:45 pm

KingsKing wrote: I watched a lot of Evans and Manziel over the last 2 years, I'm actually the OP in this thread because I found Evans to be a very polarizing prospect, people seem to love him or hate him. I'm a big fan, when I watch the game tape I see Manziel's scrambling ability lead to some big plays for Evans but more times than not I see Evans bailing out Manziel on a poorly thrown ball into 2 or 3 defenders or always breaking off his route and coming back to his Qb to bail him out. I think his run after catch/speed is underrated too, he may not look explosive but for a guy who played in the best/toughest conference in football against a lot of guys who will be playing on Sundays I didn't see him get chased down from behind very often. He has great size,one of the lowest drop rates in football(great hands), high points the ball and works back to his Qb and very adequate speed. I compare him to Brandon Marshall, who is not very fast either ran between a 4.55-4.60 at the same size and he has been pretty good on Sundays. I have him ranked #2 right now on my early rookie board.
I definitely agree with a lot of what you saw, but a part of me thinks that is exactly what lead to Evans being so productive. Instead of Manziel's "great play" it was the way he played. He had a big target he found that would fight for the ball when he got himself into trouble. This leads me to see Evans is great at coming back to his QB, fighting for tough balls, and high pointing it. I am curious in how well he will play in a typical offense when he isn't trying to turn broken plays into something, but, rather, to run legit passing routes. I also question his maturity level at this point.

QB Rivers, Kaepernick

QB - Romo, Vick