Pre-Combine RB Board

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Pre-Combine RB Board

Postby DynoScout » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:02 am

Hey all,
Sharing my pre-combine RB rankings for productive discussion and feedback. My rankings are focused on future dynasty fantasy value, but probability of NFL success is also baked into that.

Cheers!
DynoScout

2017 Pre-Combine RB Board

1. Dalvin Cook - Super explosive, still refining pass protection chops, dynamic receiver, good contact balance and competitiveness overall, and excellent for his size. Some off-field and medical concerns that could affect draft position. On-field he's my favorite prospect in this class.
2. Leonard Fournette - Foundation back, better receiver than given credit for. Best out of "I" formation with defined holes and a lead blocker. Runs behind his pads, Watching Fournette live is sort of like watching a time-lapse video of erosion, carry-to-carry, and over the course of a game. Throwback player, needs a throwback offense.
3. Joe Mixon - On the field does everything I want in an RB, shows good patience +explosive plant step, well-rounded game and a+ receiver
4. Christian McCaffrey - Great receiver, not sure he's a three-down back but shows good patience and vision. Landing spot will be key for him, want to see him with a good QB to tap into PPR gold.
5. Samaje Perine - Great hips and great feet for a big back, sound on third down, future TD scorer can run behind his pads and get low. Could be a juiced up Jordan Howard, in terms of NFL draft position. Faster than people think. His fantasy value will hinge on whether he's a 3-down guy or not, but skills wise I think he can be a 3-down workhorse if called upon.
6. D’Onta Foreman - Interesting prospect, super productive this year at Texas. Big back but athletic. Nimble and elusive on tape...6ft/240 at combine? Can get a little upright at times and would like to see him stay behind his pads. Size gives him upside as a pass protector and hands seem fine
7. Alvin Kamara - All around back, closer to Christian McCaffrey than it would appear here. Might wind up above him depending on landing spot(s).
8. Jamaal Williams - I don't know if this ranking makes me a fan, but I feel like a fan when I watch his game at BYU, just a deep class. James Starks-caliber career is the floor, but I think the upside is in the neighborhood of Arian Foster. Big smooth back.
9. Kareem Hunt - Similar to Williams above him, I like Hunt more than this ranking might suggest. Tough competitive runner with good feet/balance. Had suspension issues and weight fluctuated often at Toledo. Interested to see how the NFL approaches him, 208lbs at senior bowl seemed like a surprise
10. Marlon Mack - Can look shot from a cannon at times. Fun RB to watch. All speed, arms and knees. Doesn't run behind pads consistently so probably not a sustainer in NFL. More of a change of pace/1B guy... Could play a tevin coleman-like role for NFL team, even though I wouldn't comp him to coleman in collegiate play style...expect explosive combine
11. Jeremy McNichols - Like him to score a good PPR role in the NFL with developmental upside to be an RB2. Could be a poor man's Gio Bernard
12. Wayne Gallman - Competitive tough runner with good play strength, doesn't always play behind pads but fights contact regardless. Worried he will be banged up in NFL due to this. Rest of the package is good, no knockout factors good or bad.
13. Corey Clement - A guy I struggle with, in this case, I can't let go of some of the flashes even in light of the larger body of work. If he puts it all together and stays healthy he can out produce this ranking with ease. If he doesn't, then he's probably not even worth this investment given some of the names below him.
14. Matt Dayes - Fun RB that offers good balance and competitiveness seems to have vision to run inside, but not sure he has the size to hold that role long term in the NFL. Committee back with upside
15. James Conner - Great story and strong football character. Question athleticism for NFL game. Want to move him higher but until I see an NFL team make a real investment I will consider him a late round target
16. Elijah McQuire - PPR special with upside to carve out carries season-to-season. Could do far worse in most 4th rounds
17. Elijah Hood - Former Eagle Scout, former 5 star. Wish his body was cut a little differently, looks top heavy and doesn’t run behind his pads so worry about longevity. If lower body injuries sap his athleticism the bottom falls out fast. Until then could be the part time dash to someone else's flash
18. Brian Hill - Arbitrage Wayne Galllman, I'd put both on the same spectrum as TJ Yeldon in terms of play-style/NFL role. I liked Yeldon more as a prospect than I like Gallman and Hill however.
19. Joseph Yearby - Smaller shiftier back with good balance and good hands. I like him, but I can't justify him much higher than this based on expected NFL draft position. If he goes higher, I'll likely follow suit.
20. Joe Williams - On the other hand this is about as high as I think I can go on Williams given the age and competitive desire question marks (quit then rejoined team when devastated by injury). That said, appears to have that uncoachable speed in spades...enough that it may qualify as that one difference making trait that could earn him a shot and a flex-worthy role
21. DeVeon Smith - Once thought he was going to be the Jordan Howard like grinder of this class, but the vision and feet just aren't that caliber right now. Offers some utility as a big back receiver. Has some upside in pass pro due to his size. could find a mike tolbert like role

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Pre-Combine RB Board

Postby Cherokee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Only I couple different opinions here. I have 7 and 8 at 5 and 6 then drop Perine and Foreman somewhere around Mack and Gallman. Then I have Brian Hill just behind Hunt and Mack. I am on board with the rest.
I see Hill as a better Isaiah Crowell. I hope the landing spot offers a decent O-line
The Running Back whose value and spot changing the most with landing spot for me has to be McQuire. This kid can catch a ball. Pierre Thomas +
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm

I agree with most of these, great work!
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:33 pm

Cherokee wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:37 pm Only I couple different opinions here. I have 7 and 8 at 5 and 6 then drop Perine and Foreman somewhere around Mack and Gallman. Then I have Brian Hill just behind Hunt and Mack. I am on board with the rest.
I see Hill as a better Isaiah Crowell. I hope the landing spot offers a decent O-line
The Running Back whose value and spot changing the most with landing spot for me has to be McQuire. This kid can catch a ball. Pierre Thomas +

Thanks, Cherokee. I appreciate it.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:34 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 pm I agree with most of these, great work!
Thanks

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Joe Yearby not invited to the combine

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:42 am

I am moving Hunt up to my number 4 RB after Mixon. I see it with this guy. Ive always like him but something just clicked today for me. I see elite 3 down back
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Mascott93
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mascott93 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 am

Has anyone taken a look at I'tavius Mathers?

Just curious, looks to have had a great year. A 2194 yd, 20 td all purpose year out of nowhere. Worth a look maybe?
Team 1
10 Man - PPR
QB: Stafford, Goff, Mayfield
RB: Barkley, Drake, Miller, Crowell, Jones, Clement, Gallman
WR: AJG, Samuels, Parker, Kirk, Hamilton, Harmon, Hurst, Cole, Taylor,
TE: Engram, Brate, Gathers
DL: Lawrence, Ngakoue, Jarrett, Poe, Barnett, Davenport
LB: T Smith, Alexander, Edmunds, Wright, Barron, Schobert, McKinney, Hitchens, Vander Esch
DB: Amos , Byard, Evans, Reid

Team 2 - 2 QB Superflex
16 Man - PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE, 6 pts TD pass
QB: Luck, Dalton
RB: Miller, McFadden, Abdullah, Prosise, Cmike
WR: Williams, Marshall, Lockett, T Benjamin, Kupp, Austin, Lafell
TE: Ebron, Gresham, Sims
DST: Broncos

Team 3
10 Man - PPR
QB: Dalton , Eli, lock
RB: Fournette, Howard, Rojo, Miller, Collins, AP, Gio, Breida
WR: OBJ, Cooks, JBrown, Lockett, Godwin, M Brown, Hamilton, Miller, Pettis, MVS, Harmon
TE: Kittle, Engram, Goedart, Eifert, Thomas
DEF: Chiefs

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 am

Mascott93 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 am Has anyone taken a look at I'tavius Mathers?

Just curious, looks to have had a great year. A 2194 yd, 20 td all purpose year out of nowhere. Worth a look maybe?

I remember that Mizzu game. He made em look like a highschool JV team. At 190 and MT competition I think he is a late to UD guy. I like him more than Pumphery
DE- Phillips, Highsmith

Mascott93
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Mascott93 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:27 pm

Cherokee wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:27 am
I remember that Mizzu game. He made em look like a highschool JV team. At 190 and MT competition I think he is a late to UD guy. I like him more than Pumphery
I'd love to be able to grab him in the later rounds. I'm not sure about his blocking ability but in terms of him rushing and receiving ability, he's well rounded!
Team 1
10 Man - PPR
QB: Stafford, Goff, Mayfield
RB: Barkley, Drake, Miller, Crowell, Jones, Clement, Gallman
WR: AJG, Samuels, Parker, Kirk, Hamilton, Harmon, Hurst, Cole, Taylor,
TE: Engram, Brate, Gathers
DL: Lawrence, Ngakoue, Jarrett, Poe, Barnett, Davenport
LB: T Smith, Alexander, Edmunds, Wright, Barron, Schobert, McKinney, Hitchens, Vander Esch
DB: Amos , Byard, Evans, Reid

Team 2 - 2 QB Superflex
16 Man - PPR, 1.5 PPR for TE, 6 pts TD pass
QB: Luck, Dalton
RB: Miller, McFadden, Abdullah, Prosise, Cmike
WR: Williams, Marshall, Lockett, T Benjamin, Kupp, Austin, Lafell
TE: Ebron, Gresham, Sims
DST: Broncos

Team 3
10 Man - PPR
QB: Dalton , Eli, lock
RB: Fournette, Howard, Rojo, Miller, Collins, AP, Gio, Breida
WR: OBJ, Cooks, JBrown, Lockett, Godwin, M Brown, Hamilton, Miller, Pettis, MVS, Harmon
TE: Kittle, Engram, Goedart, Eifert, Thomas
DEF: Chiefs