Pre-Combine WR Board

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Pre-Combine WR Board

Postby DynoScout » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:58 am

Hey all,
Sharing my pre-combine WR rankings for productive discussion and feedback. My rankings are focused on future dynasty fantasy value, but probability of NFL success is also baked into that.

Cheers!
DynoScout

2017 Pre-Combine WR Board

1. Corey Davis - I'd put him up with the Amari Cooper/Sammy Watkins club, but understand concern over his level of competition. Big receiver with precision and explosion.
2. Mike Williams - I'd liken his game to Chicago Alshon Jeffery, though I think Alshon is bigger. Tricky projection for me, and i'm interested to see how he does at the combine. This rank assumes 4.55ish top end and passable 3 cone, broad jump, and vertical jump.
3. John Ross - Too fast and too quick for single coverage. 'Win early' player. Good hips, jab steps and head fakes to sell routes and create space. Not just a DeSean, IMO. Injury concerns in both knees are factored into this rank. A clean bill of health (as determined by a high NFL draft investment) could push him past Williams and Mixon. Shoulder surgery after the combine may push him down the board and make him a target player for me.
4. JuJu Smith Schuster - Elite production at a young age with size and strength. Not a burner. Landing spot will matter for JuJu. Allen Robinson-size/speed/explosion confirmation at the combine would solidify this rank. If more Treadwell like, then could drop to mid-second...i.e. Z receiver territory
5. Curtis Samuel - I see him as Harvin-like in role and skillset. Landing spot will be key for final ranking but assuming he goes sometime on day 2 to be a short to intermediate high volume yac guy with some carries sprinkled in.
6. KD Cannon - Decent arbitrage play on John Ross if the sticker price for the latter is too rich. He's talented to run to the ball and make catches over shoulder while tracking the ball, not as strong on routes that require stopping to face the QB and playing through contact. Mistimes jumps on back shoulder/contested downfield throws. This makes him more of a 9-ball guy early on with some developmental upside to become more. Speed for days = tactical NFL value. Probably going to be able to get him much cheaper than this in rookie drafts.
7. Stacy Coley - Surprised me when I threw on the tape. Sudden and competitive when needed. Speed to separate at all levels. Interested to see size at combine -- is he 190? If so, is he still fast? This rank assumes yes, but he still has upside to move higher for me once the process plays out. Another one I expect to be able to target much cheaper than this.
8. Chris Godwin - Could see him growing into later-career Roddy White, a really nice Z receiver, but it's going to take some time and some hard work to get there. I like him to take a year or two to develop and then blossom into a dependable fantasy asset
9. Isaiah Ford - A quicker, more sudden WR than Chris Godwin, but likely to play the same position (in the playbook - Z). Good bet to out-point Godwin early on due to raw movement gifts, but I think Godwin has more long term upside. Ford could get to Emmanuel Sanders with hard work, so he's no slouch. Really nice value here.
10. ArDarius Stewart - Another intriguing Z receiver hanging out in this tier for me. Feel like Alabama's offense hid him a bit. Easy to get lost, but offers a dynamic toolset
11. Josh Malone - Started off college white hot then cooled off considerably, but put some really good moments on tape in 2016. Hoping for a Malcolm Mitchell-like draft process/landing spot for him.
12. Ryan Switzer - The guy in this group that may not be able to consistently play Z but is a safe bet for a RPO/2-way go slot role regardless. That security is valuable to me, even if the upside is not as high as other guys in this range and even some ranked much lower.
13. Taywan Taylor - He gets downfield, plays competitive. Can remind me of Jarvis Landry at times, meant as a compliment despite general commentary over Landry's athleticism. Last guy in this tier for me, at this point, and we'll see how the draft process plays out. It's a really deep looking first 2 rounds otherwise Taylor would work in there for me.
14. Zay Jones - I lost my note in a cut/copy/paste catastrophe.
15. Chad Hansen - Mike Williams arbitrage. Similar upside to the first rounder, but a much further path to travel for Hansen.
16. Josh Reynolds - Reminds me of what people wanted Josh Doctson to be. Struggles with physical aggressive play near the LOS but has some Justin Hunter-like potential though not as gifted as Hunter athletically. If you liked Doctson, you should like Reynolds IMO
17. DeDe Westbrook - Kind of old, kind of sketchy, but dynamic and competitive. If he was just who he was on the field, I'd probably have him higher. The full context of Westbrook lands him in this range. Suffered serious injury in high school and was advised not to play football. Seems fine, but wonder about combine medical check.
18. Noah Brown - The other Buckeye WR. Extremely small sample size = high variance projection. TDs on 7 of 32 receptions in 2016. RS Sophomore, RS year = broken leg. Another Mike Williams arbitrage. 6'2"/218 - but carries it differently than, say... Amara Darboh.
19. Amara Darboh - Competitive, nuanced Jim Harbaugh WR. Reminds me of Michael Thomas at times. Not as consistent and unlikely to land with Drew Brees and fill a gaping schematic hole like Thomas did in 2016
20. Cooper Kupp - Jordan Matthews lite. Expect decent straight line speed and size, just like Matthews at combine in 2014.
21. Fred Ross - Solid in most areas, but probably a role player at best in functional NFL passing game. Has some upside as a Z receiver.
22. Travis Rudolph - Role player but dependable and crafty. I think he can carve out a nice NFL career but not sure he'll ever have great fantasy value. He goes to TB or NE and I'll probably wind up with a few shares
23. Malachi Dupre - Fights the ball a bit too much for my liking and doesn't play through physical play. Poor ability to track ball over his head seems to limit his length advantage. NFL caliber body control, but poor tracking ability down the field. If given time to grow up, develop his body and his game he has the physcial attributes to be a fantasy factor, I'm just skeptical
24. Jerome Lane - Big body box out type WR. I like his physicality but not sure he maintains that physical edge moving from MAC to NFL
25. Travin Dural - Hasn't been the same after the severely torn hamstring and popeyes chicken binge. two years ago I thought he could be a future 2nd rounder. Speed hasn't come back
26. Artavis Scott - Once thought a golden tate role was possible but don't think he has the right mix of traits to win in the NFL consistently. Not dynamic enough to be a gadget player? What's his role now?
27. Ish Zamora - Big and dynamic but probably not a great human being. Step 1 is probably seeing an NFL team invest a draft pick. Not sure that happens.
28. Ricky Seals-Jones - Might deserve to be higher on traits but just not very productive and could wind up a WR-TE tweener. Kelvin/Plaxico-type player if at WR.
29. Jalen Robinette - Nice size, but raw as a route runner and probably in terms of understanding NFL level passing concepts. Practice squad bound IMO
30. JeHu Chesson - Not sure he has the dynamism or the developmental potential to stick
31. DeMorea Stringfellow - Similar concerns as Robinette and Chesson. Might stick but not dynamic enough to be a reliable fantasy factor

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Pre-Combine WR Board

Postby Cherokee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes! Ive been saying the same thing about Coley for a while now. I know it is a lazy comparison but I see Allen Hurns or better at least.
I like Godwin, too. IS it the number 12 Josh Gordon factor? Maybe
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 pm

Cooper Kupp at #20??? :shock:
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Cherokee wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm Yes! Ive been saying the same thing about Coley for a while now. I know it is a lazy comparison but I see Allen Hurns or better at least.
Nice. Thanks for the feedback.

Where would you rank Engram among the TE?

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:40 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 pm Cooper Kupp at #20??? :shock:
Yeah, turns out I'm pretty low on him. I like him just fine, but I think he is what he is. I wouldn't want my team starting him as an outside WR, and I think that makes his dynasty value sitauatuon sensitive.

Basically a "stay away" rank for me.

Appreciate the question/feedback.

Cheers,
Dynoscout

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I should note that if a guy isn't listed consider him NR/Not Ranked.

Carlos Henderson is the guy most ppl may notice is absent. Unfortunately I didn't have time to give Henderson a long enough look to rank him.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:50 pm

As an athleteic X receiver Ish Zamora is among the highest upside WR in this class. Given the news coming out on Baylor I do not blame him for leaving for the NFL. It would have helped to put the dog abuse incident 12 months further in the past, but he'll be better off long term from getting NFL coaching even if he's on a practice squad.

If he gets a legit shot I'll be interested.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm

So, y'all like Curtis Samuel more at RB or WR? I feel like I change my mind every time I watch him. Sticking with WR... :think:

lukkynumber13
GOAT
GOAT

Postby lukkynumber13 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 pm

DynoScout wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm So, y'all like Curtis Samuel more at RB or WR? I feel like I change my mind every time I watch him. Sticking with WR... :think:
I highly doubt he will ever have a RB tag. He will enter the draft as a WR, and what happened with Montgomery is so incredibly rare at the pro level
TEAM A - 12T (22 R/U, 20 R/U, 19 R/U, 18 Champ, 17 R/U)
HERBERT, Baker
BIJAN/KAMARA/MIXON, A Jones
HILL/AJB/DK/G WILSON/D Adams, Pittman, Z Flowers, Evans
KITTLE
/
TEAM B - 16T, SF, TEP (22 R/U)
HURTS/MINSHEW, Cousins, D Jones
JT/JACOBS, Mostert, Gus E
HILL/MCLAURIN/DEEBO
KELCE/KITTLE, LaPorta
/
TEAM C - 14T, SF (Joined in 22)
GENO
HENRY/A JONES, Gus E
HILL/DIGGS/K ALLEN
WALLER
/
TEAM D - 14T, 1QB (Joined in 22)
MAHOMES, Goff
BIJAN/BREECE/POLLARD
CHASE/DIGGS/G WILSON/AIYUK, DJM, Pittman
KITTLE, Goedert
/
TEAM E - 14T, SF, 2TE (Started in 22)
MAHOMES/T-LAW, Carr
BIJAN/CMC/SAQUON/POLLARD, Hall
HILL/AIYUK/EVANS/GODWIN, Hollywood, Thielen
MCBRIDE/ENGRAM, Goedert, Chig
/
TEAM F - 16T (Joined in 23)
R WILSON, Minshew
SAQUON/KAMARA/MIXON, Monty
DIGGS/GODWIN/AIYUK/EVANS, Thielen, A Cooper
KELCE, Schultz
/
TEAM G - 12T, SF & TEP (Joined in 23)
HERBERT/TUA, Kyler
BIJAN/MIXON, Spears, J Warren
JJ/G WILSON/WADDLE/OLAVE, Godwin, J Reed
LAPORTA

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:15 pm

lukkynumber13 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:06 pm
DynoScout wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:00 pm So, y'all like Curtis Samuel more at RB or WR? I feel like I change my mind every time I watch him. Sticking with WR... :think:
I highly doubt he will ever have a RB tag. He will enter the draft as a WR, and what happened with Montgomery is so incredibly rare at the pro level
I agree, i think I saw that he's listed with WR for the combine. I'm ranking him at WR accordingly. That said, I asked because I think he's a good RB today, and WR is more of a projection. Might never progress beyond slot/gadget guy.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 pm

DynoScout wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 pm
Cherokee wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:25 pm Yes! Ive been saying the same thing about Coley for a while now. I know it is a lazy comparison but I see Allen Hurns or better at least.

Engram is still 2 for me. Very proven that he can be a focal point of the offense and beat LBs and Safties consistently. Njoku will jump him on everyone else's board Im guessing but Ive been an Engram guy for 3 years now so... Onward! It wouldnt surprise me if Butt became the best TE with the longest career from this class at the same time. Im scooping him where I can
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:45 am

Cherokee wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:56 pm
DynoScout wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 pm

Engram is still 2 for me. Very proven that he can be a focal point of the offense and beat LBs and Safties consistently. Njoku will jump him on everyone else's board Im guessing but Ive been an Engram guy for 3 years now so... Onward! It wouldnt surprise me if Butt became the best TE with the longest career from this class at the same time. Im scooping him where I can
Agree Engram still TE2 due to track record, but fully expect Njoku to be drafted earlier by the NFL. Just posted my TE board, such a fun group figured they needed their own thread. Gave you a shout-out over there in my Engram note.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:51 am

Overall, I enjoy this WR class much more than last year. I don't know that we'll see four go in the first round like last year...probably not in my estimation.

However, top-to-bottom - and leaving the NFL out of it for a minute - this is a deep-and-wide (varied) class of WR. I'm excited to see where some of these guys wind up. I could very easily see 3 WR being in my top 5 overall rookies when it's all said and done.

Shaft4783
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Shaft4783 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:58 pm

1. Henderson needs to be top 10. As does Taylor.

2. Dupre also needs to be higher. He's AJ Green-lite. Just needs targets.

3. Willing to bet Zamora and stringfellow don't even get drafted.

flyersfan1981
Legend
Legend

Postby flyersfan1981 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 pm

Shaft4783 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:58 pm 1. Henderson needs to be top 10. As does Taylor.

2. Dupre also needs to be higher. He's AJ Green-lite. Just needs targets.

3. Willing to bet Zamora and stringfellow don't even get drafted.
Forgive my ignorance, but who is this guy?

And who are you bumping out to put your two guys in the top 10?
#1-12 Team .5 PPR TE Premium (20-max)

Winston, Wentz
Ingram, Jones, Dalvin Cook, Rawls, Smallwood, McGuire
Evans, Keenan, Parker, Corey Davis, Lockett, Ty Williams
Ertz
1.05/1.06/1.07

#2-12 Team .5 PPR (25-max)

Rivers, Wilson
Gurley, JStew, West, Duke, Breida, Smallwood, Joe Williams
Nuk, Alshon, Sanders, Doctson, Crowder, Carroo, Carlos Henderson
Ertz, Kittle

#3 14-team PPR (27-max) Year 2

Rodgers, Bortles
McCoy, Howard, Chubb, Crowell, Cohen, D. Martin, McGuire, Joe Williams, Breida, West, Aaron Jones
Cooks, Alshon, MBryant, Britt, Boyd, Wright, Carroo, Chad Williams
Kelce, Julius Thomas, Jesse James, Shaheen, D. Allen

#4 12-team PPR S-flex TE Prem

Wentz, Trubisky, Cutler
Kamara, Ajayi, Howard, Lacy, Mack, Elijah McGuire, Sproles, Turbin
Hopkins, Alshon, Parker, Stills, Britt, ArDarius, P Cooper, TWilliams
Brate, Green, D Allen, Higbee, Hodges, Anderson
1.02/1.10