Big Ten Expansion

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Big Ten Expansion

Postby Shawn » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:29 am

Its now being reported that the Big 10 is expected to add another team and expand to 12 teams sometime in the near future (Yes this could be weird since they're called the Big 10, but currently have 11 teams anyway, but couldn't call themselves the Big 12 because we already have a Big 12, but if a Big 12 team goes to the Big 10........ well you get the point :lol: ) Rumored teams include

1. Missouri - Apparently some interest, and already has a rivalry with Illinois anyway
2. Pittsburgh - Already a rival to Penn State, probably Ohio State too
3. Syracuse - Could definitely win a Big Ten title (In Basketball :lol: )
4. Cincinnati - Already natural rivalry with OSU, seems to have made the leap to a big time program
5. Iowa State - Natural rivalry with Iowa already
6. Notre Dame - This has been discussed quite a bit previously it seems like this possibility is dead for now, as Notre Dame likes having the control of its schedule and of course the NBC Tv contract
7. West Virginia - Probably not very likely but geographically close enough that it could be considered
8. Boise State - No, not really, although I do think they should try to join the Pac - 10 or something especially if they want to ever play for a BCS title

- Just a guess right now, but I think Missouri is the most likely to join the Big - 10, with Pittsburgh a close 2nd. Any other ideas?
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:47 pm

Norte Dame would be a great fit for the Big 10, geographicaly, and talent wise. I live in Chicago, and I consider Chigago to be right in the heart of Big 10 counrty, and Norte Dame is just down the road. I would love to see ND in the big ten even though I don't care too much for the golden domers.

ccteam
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ccteam » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:05 pm

I think Notre Dame would be perfect in the Big Ten, as they have the tradition and history that compares to the other Big Ten schools. They are also in the same geographic area. But it just isn't going to happen. They enjoy their current spoiled position of being able to make their whole schedule, and have games televised even when their team is horrible.

As a Big Ten fan, I would really like to see them add another team and move to divisions and having a Championship game, so that the Big Ten doesn't disappear from college football for the last 2-3 weeks of the season like they currently do. Just as long as OSU and Michigan end up in the saem division to maintain The Game, I am all for it.
12 team PPR Q, R, R, W, W, W/R, W/T, TE, K - 36 player rosters
E Manning Dalton
Sproles, D Brown Mendenhall, Blount, Hillis, Gerhart, Moreno
Fitz, White, Holmes, Rice TBMW, Royal, Edwards, Bess
Pettigrew H Miller

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:19 pm

ccteam wrote:I think Notre Dame would be perfect in the Big Ten, as they have the tradition and history that compares to the other Big Ten schools. They are also in the same geographic area. But it just isn't going to happen. They enjoy their current spoiled position of being able to make their whole schedule, and have games televised even when their team is horrible.

As a Big Ten fan, I would really like to see them add another team and move to divisions and having a Championship game, so that the Big Ten doesn't disappear from college football for the last 2-3 weeks of the season like they currently do. Just as long as OSU and Michigan end up in the saem division to maintain The Game, I am all for it.
I agree with everything you posted here...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:26 pm

I think Notre Dame would be right for the Big Ten. Two reasons, location and both need each other. The Notre Dame name is considered synonymous with football tradition and lately the Big Ten image has taken a beating in the bowl season. Notre Dame needs to be a part of an established conference in order to be taken seriously again.

cowboys85
Role Player
Role Player

Postby cowboys85 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:34 pm

I agree that the Big Ten does need to expand, but I would have a hard time believing that one of the Big East schools would leave to go to the Big Ten. I think Big East football has really come into its own in the past 5 years. I think basketball would also have to be a major consideration here, as Big East basketball is arguably the best in the country (I'm a little biased, but I think it's true). I couldn't see any team wanting to leave behind a rising football conference and a powerhouse basketball conference.

Back in 2005, BC, Miami, and Virginia Tech left the Big East to go to the ACC because of football, and I think they missed out. ACC football hasn't been much better than Big East football recently. Syracuse was a rumored team to leave back then and Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim shot down the move instantly so I don't think they'd move. The Big East asked Notre Dame to come to them for football in 2005 and they declined then also.

I think Missouri would be the best fit, and it would probably cause the Big 12 to add another team as a replacement and would probably trigger a huge chain of events. In the 2005 expansion, 23 teams had to switch conference because of the 3 teams leaving the Big East.
ECFFL (Commissioner) - Mullet Mullitia
Gridiron 3 - Hamden Hawks
UDL - Connecticut Cowboys

KU Sucks
Captain
Captain

Postby KU Sucks » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:35 am

Mizzou is making noise about jumping the Big 12 because of perceived slights by the league for bowl considerations. According to the alums I've talked to, they seem to be seriously considering it.

Personally I would like them to stay in the Big 12.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:15 am

If Mizzou leaves the Big 12 is very quietly already looking at TCU.