What affect does no CBA in NFL mean to prospects?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

What affect does no CBA in NFL mean to prospects?

Postby Risky bidness » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:20 pm

If there is no CBA in the NFL does that mean younger players will enter the NFL draft this year or is it better for them to stay in school?

Any thoughts or info on this?

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: What affect does no CBA in NFL mean to prospects?

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:35 pm

hot nikkels wrote:If there is no CBA in the NFL does that mean younger players will enter the NFL draft this year or is it better for them to stay in school?

the owners will be pushing for a rookie cap in the new CBA... so rookie salaries will be capped based on slot. they will not rise every year... i would think this would force more juniors and (rs)soph to come out this season.

Fletch_F_Fletch
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Fletch_F_Fletch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:29 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:
hot nikkels wrote:If there is no CBA in the NFL does that mean younger players will enter the NFL draft this year or is it better for them to stay in school?

the owners will be pushing for a rookie cap in the new CBA... so rookie salaries will be capped based on slot. they will not rise every year... i would think this would force more juniors and (rs)soph to come out this season.
Or there would be a formula indexing the rise (e.g., each slot increases 3% per year). I've been hearing a bunch of underclassmen could declare this year to avoid the possbile rookie salary cap in 2011--or 2012 if there's a lock out.
Q -- "What kind of name is 'Poon' anyway?" A -- "Commanche Indian."

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Fletch_F_Fletch wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:

Or there would be a formula indexing the rise (e.g., each slot increases 3% per year). I've been hearing a bunch of underclassmen could declare this year to avoid the possbile rookie salary cap in 2011--or 2012 if there's a lock out.
thats basically what structure they use now... so i dont see it staying the same. the nba salaries for rookies dont rise every year, but there are preformance clauses in their rookie contracts that void it completely if they go past them, which i believe makes them a RFA for a period of time.. then they are free to sign with whoever.

Fletch_F_Fletch
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Fletch_F_Fletch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:38 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:
Fletch_F_Fletch wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote: the owners will be pushing for a rookie cap in the new CBA... so rookie salaries will be capped based on slot. they will not rise every year... i would think this would force more juniors and (rs)soph to come out this season.
thats basically what structure they use now... so i dont see it staying the same. the nba salaries for rookies dont rise every year, but there are preformance clauses in their rookie contracts that void it completely if they go past them, which i believe makes them a RFA for a period of time.. then they are free to sign with whoever.
Agents and teams use the previous year's rookie contracts as a guide, but neither is required to abide by that and nothing controls the rate at which salaries are accelerating year-over-year. As I understood, the league was going to set rookie salaries by draft slot to end holdouts (i.e., the salary for the #5 overall pick is known prior to the draft). Also, the rookie salaries would be rolled back under the cap to control costs, meaning they would be lower than today and cash would be freed up for veteran pay.

Anyway, I don't know the ins-and-outs of a proposed NFL system or the actual NBA system, but I would find it hard to believe any cap wouldn't be indexed for inflation somehow. So are you saying that this year's 1st overall NBA pick will make, to use a made up round number, $1 million a year for X-years, and the 1st overall pick in the year 2100 will make the exact same salary? I think there's surely some mandated adjustment on a year-to-year basis, though it may be modest. But I don't know that for a fact, and I've been wrong before!
Q -- "What kind of name is 'Poon' anyway?" A -- "Commanche Indian."