Clausen Declares for the draft, as does Tate

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Clausen Declares for the draft, as does Tate

Postby grimace » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:26 am

Last edited by grimace on Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 am

Roto World: Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen will enter the 2010 NFL Draft.
He'll be accompanied by Irish WR Golden Tate. With Charlie Weis gone and both players having good shots to be picked in round one, there was little chance either would return for their senior seasons. According to an ESPN source, several GMs believe Clausen is "the most NFL-ready quarterback in this year's draft," after playing in Weis' pro-style offense. Clausen doesn't have Jake Locker's arm or athleticism, but would be a terrific fit for a West Coast system because of his accuracy. St. Louis, Seattle, Washington, Denver, and Cleveland all fit the profile of teams that should have interest this April. Dec. 7 - 11:46 am et

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Clausen Declares for the draft, as does Tate

Postby skip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:03 pm

grimace wrote:#1 QB pick next year?
He's not the #1 QB coming out in my estimation, so I can't see him going #1. Regardless, I think most teams are moving away from the idea of taking the risk on a QB that early and would rather solidify other areas of the team - particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.

I also can't see the Browns going QB. They have so many needs on that team and QB shouldn't be the top priority. They really need to make this almost a completely defensive-minded draft. Fire Mangini, bring in a defensive minded coach, and work the most of the tools they already have in the offense. They aren't going to be able to field any studs on offense, but they have a lot of young players already at RB and WR. I'd like them to move forward with a mindset that Quinn is still the future of that team and run their off-season that way. Send someone like DA away to alleviate potential controversy, etc. They need help on the offensive line as well, but I can't see how they can address both sides of the ball effectively in one offseason.

An alternative option would be if a team like Washington decides to move away from Campbell that the Browns bring him in to get a shot at the starting job. Overall, I don't think Cleveland would be doing themselves any favors targeting a QB early in the draft.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:13 pm

skip wrote:
grimace wrote:#1 QB pick next year?
He's not the #1 QB coming out in my estimation, so I can't see him going #1. Regardless, I think most teams are moving away from the idea of taking the risk on a QB that early and would rather solidify other areas of the team - particularly on the offensive and defensive lines.

I also can't see the Browns going QB. They have so many needs on that team and QB shouldn't be the top priority. They really need to make this almost a completely defensive-minded draft. Fire Mangini, bring in a defensive minded coach, and work the most of the tools they already have in the offense. They aren't going to be able to field any studs on offense, but they have a lot of young players already at RB and WR. I'd like them to move forward with a mindset that Quinn is still the future of that team and run their off-season that way. Send someone like DA away to alleviate potential controversy, etc. They need help on the offensive line as well, but I can't see how they can address both sides of the ball effectively in one offseason.

An alternative option would be if a team like Washington decides to move away from Campbell that the Browns bring him in to get a shot at the starting job. Overall, I don't think Cleveland would be doing themselves any favors targeting a QB early in the draft.

I'm pretty much in agreement, I'd like the Browns to draft SUH in the 1st round. I really hope they don't draft Claussen, if they are going to go QB, I'd rather have Locker or even McCoy.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:35 pm

Shawn wrote:I'm pretty much in agreement, I'd like the Browns to draft SUH in the 1st round. I really hope they don't draft Claussen, if they are going to go QB, I'd rather have Locker or even McCoy.
or Bradford or Tebow... I am not sure I could stomach another QB coming from ND. I had to soften my stance on Quinn enough to get me to this point.

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:06 pm

skip wrote:
Shawn wrote:I'm pretty much in agreement, I'd like the Browns to draft SUH in the 1st round. I really hope they don't draft Claussen, if they are going to go QB, I'd rather have Locker or even McCoy.
or Bradford or Tebow... I am not sure I could stomach another QB coming from ND. I had to soften my stance on Quinn enough to get me to this point.
I feel the same way...that Joe Montana guy sucked.

----------------
Now playing: Ryan Adams - The Shadowlands

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:12 pm

I have a feeling that Clausen and Locker will the the QB's that have the most success in this draft. Clausen looked good this year in a pro style offense, but then again Quinn did also, and Weis really talked him up before the draft. We all know how that turned out. In the right system he could good.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:31 pm

Pilate wrote: I feel the same way...that Joe Montana guy sucked.
30 years in the past...its been almost that long since they were putting a good product on the field. :D

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:33 pm

Pilate wrote:
skip wrote:
I feel the same way...that Joe Montana guy sucked.

----------------
Now playing: Ryan Adams - The Shadowlands
:lol:

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:20 pm

Two Chi-town Scouts are telling me the Browns have Clausen #1 very early with Suh #2.

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:47 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:Two Chi-town Scouts are telling me the Browns have Clausen #1 very early with Suh #2.

teams will ALWAYS draft qbs early. face the facts... you have to have a good QB to be successful in the NFL... to be a superbowl contender, you have to have a qb that is a stud...

suh is the #1 prospect in this draft.... but i personally think eric berry is pretty dang close.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:Two Chi-town Scouts are telling me the Browns have Clausen #1 very early with Suh #2.
Hopefully those same scouts are saying that Mangini will be fired by Christmas. I had my eye on that Browns/Chiefs game in KC earlier this season, but the way things have gone I just can't the the embarrassment.

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:05 pm

thewhyterabbit wrote:

teams will ALWAYS draft qbs early. face the facts... you have to have a good QB to be successful in the NFL... to be a superbowl contender, you have to have a qb that is a stud...

suh is the #1 prospect in this draft.... but i personally think eric berry is pretty dang close.
I have the same thoughts. Personally I hoping Berry slips a few spots and the Giants trade their whole draft for him ;-)

BradyT
Legend
Legend

Postby BradyT » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:15 pm

hosler427 wrote:
thewhyterabbit wrote:

I have the same thoughts. Personally I hoping Berry slips a few spots and the Giants trade their whole draft for him ;-)
I guess I will only get heat from you guys when bringing another big fella into this discussion.. again... :lol: btw: I´m not talking about Noel Devine! :lol: :lol: :lol:
24 roster spots - 1QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,1Flex

QB: Herbert,Minshew
RB: Breece,Walker,Taylor,BRobinson,Allgeier,Spiller
WR:Jefferson,Lamb,DJMoore,QJohnston,Jameson,MMims, T.Marshall,Shakir,Gallup
TE: Andrews,Conklin
DST:DAL
2024 picks: 1.11, 2.10, 4.01, 4.05, 4.07, 4.11

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:17 pm

We also need to figure out who will be running the Browns by the time they draft in April, as they are still looking for someone to be the "football czar" there.

The Browns owner fell in love with Mangini last year, so you never know what will happen!

“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince