Josh Doctson

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Josh Doctson

Postby Cherokee » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:53 am

Josh Doctson
6’3
194lbs
TCU
Mansfield TX
PRO COMP- Marvin Jones
Grade- B
RY-3178
34 Total TDs
Rookie Draft Selection- Mid 1st
He will be very good WR2 for some team. Nice routes, solid hands and great in the red zone. He will most likely go 5th or 6th in your rookie draft but I feel like you can find the same production towards the end of the 1st round in a similar player in Leontee Carroo. Doctson’s TD production should be seen as a product of the TCU O although I do like him as a RZ threat at the next level. A 10 TD season in the NFL is not realistic(IMO) but crazier things have happened.
I am definitely trading down in the mid 1st this coming draft as I see him as solid but would rather have Carroo, Sharpe or Sheperd+ in a trade down scenario.
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: Josh Doctson

Postby dlf_robw » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:56 am

This is a fair evaluation. I feel NFL teams or fantasy owners expecting WR1 production from Docston will be disappointed. Allow him to operate as a complementary option would mesh well with his skills and allow him to dominate redzone and jump ball situations one on one.

Excellent job on these, by the way.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:35 pm

dlf_robl wrote:This is a fair evaluation. I feel NFL teams or fantasy owners expecting WR1 production from Docston will be disappointed. Allow him to operate as a complementary option would mesh well with his skills and allow him to dominate redzone and jump ball situations one on one.

Excellent job on these, by the way.
Thank you
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:56 am

Gotta disagree with you on this one. He looks to have stud potential to me. Doctson looks very similar to DeVante Parker, and the same things were said about Parker last year (good complimentary WR, yada yada yada). Doctson is nothing like Marvin Jones, he has much better leaping ability and college production. Saying his production is a product of the offense is a complete disservice to him, nearly every td I watched was a spectacular individual effort on his part along with many of his other catches. I don't watch college football so I don't know how heralded his QB was, but I saw plenty of throws that were way off the mark. His route running wasn't spectacular but it was solid, better than most for his size. He has great play strength, long arms, strong hands, and fantastic high pointing ability to go along with above average speed, burst, and run-after-catch. Now maybe to your point he wasn't asked to do a ton of different things, but I saw enough to know he has the ability if asked.

This isn't one of his "highlight plays," but I was simply astounded by this particular touchdown. It appears the defender has him dead to rights, complete with an arm shoved into his shoulder and a fistful of jersey. The ball goes up and in a nanosecond Doctson explodes past him. Generally when a player is in that position, in that short of a field, with the ball in the air... they're completely screwed. It's a testament to his burst, play strength, and great use of hands. You have to slow down the slowed down instant replay to actually see exactly what Doctson did, especially how he got the defenders arm off him... it was that quick. I know at a glance it doesn't look like much but I was blown away.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:48 am

I dont watch many highlights becasuse thats what they are, highlights. His QB Boykin was one of the best in the nation stat wise and because of their "Offense" now he is being pushed to change positions. Only time will tell and I hope all these guys are studs. Right now a player like Martavis Bryant is WR 21. Ahead of guys like Parker, DGB and most likely Treadwell. I just dont see there being room for Doctson anywhere near the top 30 best WRs. Thanks for the push/pull.I enjoy any valuable feedback Negative or Positive
DE- Phillips, Highsmith

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:03 pm

Cherokee wrote:I dont watch many highlights becasuse thats what they are, highlights. His QB Boykin was one of the best in the nation stat wise and because of their "Offense" now he is being pushed to change positions. Only time will tell and I hope all these guys are studs. Right now a player like Martavis Bryant is WR 21. Ahead of guys like Parker, DGB and most likely Treadwell. I just dont see there being room for Doctson anywhere near the top 30 best WRs. Thanks for the push/pull.I enjoy any valuable feedback Negative or Positive
Boykin might need to switch positions because he's not anything close to a good QB prospect, which is another point in favor of Doctson and his ability to make plays for a bad QB.

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_robw » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:52 am

I'm in the rare position of updating my ranks based on postseason performance. Doctson has really aced the process; checking all the boxes physically and with production. I think I underrated him throughout the draft season.

Revellea
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Revellea » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:18 am

I'm seeing Josh Doctson's height and weight coming in anywhere between 6'2 to 6'4 and 190 lbs to 202 lbs. One of the knocks against him is his slight frame. Does anyone have any examples of prior WR's coming into the NFL with these measurables and having success?

Both Marvin Jones and Devante Parker come close, but if he is closer to the 190 lb side, then he is a bit lighter and I'd assume would have a hard time adjusting to NFL corners. Also, as good as they have shown themselves to be, neither Marvin Jones nor Devante Parker have proven themselves to be WR1's yet, although both cases should become clearer this year.
Team 1
12 Team 24 Man Roster 6pt td. 1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1FLEX RB,WR,TE Year1

QB's - Roethlisberger, Carr, RG3
RB's - Gurley, Gio Bernard, David Johnson, Mcfadden, Vereen, M. Davis, S. Ridley, , T. West, S. Draughn
WR's - O. B. J., Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, K. White, M. Wilson, Charles Johnson, J. Huff, Sammy Coates.
TE's - T. Kelce, D. Allen, G. Escobar, Vernon Davis

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:20 am

Revellea wrote:I'm seeing Josh Doctson's height and weight coming in anywhere between 6'2 to 6'4 and 190 lbs to 202 lbs. One of the knocks against him is his slight frame. Does anyone have any examples of prior WR's coming into the NFL with these measurables and having success?

Both Marvin Jones and Devante Parker come close, but if he is closer to the 190 lb side, then he is a bit lighter and I'd assume would have a hard time adjusting to NFL corners. Also, as good as they have shown themselves to be, neither Marvin Jones nor Devante Parker have proven themselves to be WR1's yet, although both cases should become clearer this year.
The combine already happened and Doctson is 6'2" 202lbs

There are a few similar players... Sidney Rice was good before he got hurt, he was 202 6'3", but he didn't have Doctsons agility. Parker is 209. Allen Robinson actually shed a lot of weight post-combine and was down to 208 for his pro-day when he put up athleticism scores similar to Doctson, although he arguably has a larger frame than Doctson. I believe Parker and Robinson are a half inch taller than Doctson. More specifically, we really haven't seen a player quite like Docston though which had everything. We haven't really seen a player at his size have his athleticism, hands and likely 1st round draft pedigree. My best comparison really would have to be a poor-man's version of Allen Robinson. Doctson and ARob share roughly the same height, weight, arm length, hand size, college production, draft pedigree, catch radius, I could go on... Maybe think of an Alshon Jeffery type career upside?

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 am

they are just # but this is a lot of praise for a guy that had 18 more catches for 249 yards and 7 TDs MORE than josh boyce playing the same 3 seasons for the same TCU staff . Boyce has 9 catches in 3 NFL seasons on an eminently assailable pats wr depth chart so just playing devil's advocate I guess .

edited the spelling of immenently ... what a maroon I am some times apologize for causing headaches for the grammar /spelling czars !
Last edited by clarion contrarion on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:00 am

clarion contrarion wrote:they are just # but this is a lot of praise for a guy that had 18 more catches for 249 yards and 7 TDs MORE than josh boyce playing the same 3 seasons for the same TCU staff . Boyce has 9 catches in 3 NFL seasons on an immentently assailable pats wr depth chart so just playing devil's advocate I guess .
Boyce was a completely different player though, not to mention a 4th round draft pick. But interesting info nonetheless.

Revellea
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Revellea » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:36 pm

I believe Parker and Robinson are a half inch taller than Doctson. More specifically, we really haven't seen a player quite like Docston though which had everything. We haven't really seen a player at his size have his athleticism, hands and likely 1st round draft pedigree.
Are you saying that Doctson is a more complete player than Parker and Robinson coming into the draft? Why would that then make him a poor man's Allen Robinson?

And is everyone expecting Doctson to put on/retain weight to get up to ~210/215? Or is it that he is an anomaly because no receiver as talented as him has been so tall yet so light?
Team 1
12 Team 24 Man Roster 6pt td. 1QB,2RB,2WR,1TE,1FLEX RB,WR,TE Year1

QB's - Roethlisberger, Carr, RG3
RB's - Gurley, Gio Bernard, David Johnson, Mcfadden, Vereen, M. Davis, S. Ridley, , T. West, S. Draughn
WR's - O. B. J., Amari Cooper, Sammy Watkins, K. White, M. Wilson, Charles Johnson, J. Huff, Sammy Coates.
TE's - T. Kelce, D. Allen, G. Escobar, Vernon Davis

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:30 pm

Revellea wrote:
I believe Parker and Robinson are a half inch taller than Doctson. More specifically, we really haven't seen a player quite like Docston though which had everything. We haven't really seen a player at his size have his athleticism, hands and likely 1st round draft pedigree.
Are you saying that Doctson is a more complete player than Parker and Robinson coming into the draft? Why would that then make him a poor man's Allen Robinson?

And is everyone expecting Doctson to put on/retain weight to get up to ~210/215? Or is it that he is an anomaly because no receiver as talented as him has been so tall yet so light?
I'm not saying he's a more complete player than Parker or ARob. I'm sort of responding to all these lazy comparisons I keep seeing to Doctson. It's true that we haven't really seen a player with Doctsons height/weight combination tear up the league, and that does make me pause a little bit. But the players who failed at his height/weight weren't as good as Doctson. They either didn't have his complete athleticism, his draft pedigree, his college production, his hands, or his overall skill set. So Doctson is an interesting player for sure. I say poor man's version because he's older, he has slightly less burst imo, he's slimmer, doesn't seem as good with RAC, and I'm not sure he's as good a route runner as ARob. But I'm really just nit picking at that point.

I don't think he should add much weight in the NFL because I don't think he can afford to get much slower. Maybe a few lbs but nothing crazy, I think he has great play strength as it is already. He's going to win by being an incredible athlete with strong hands that runs decent routes and can win in contested situations. Just to give you some perspective, DeVante Parker is taller and heavier than Doctson yet shreds Doctson in the 10 yard dash and is also faster in the 20 yard and 40 yard dash as well. Sometimes I don't think people quite realize what an incredible athlete Parker is.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:17 pm

Lazy comparison would be......? I think production wise, you can count on a Marvin Jones stat line . Athletic ability, Chris Henry or Justin Hunter. I want a Doctson believer to please give me Doctson's rank in the top 30 WRs and the WR before and after him.
DE- Phillips, Highsmith

Dynasty DeLorean
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Dynasty DeLorean » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:27 pm

For WR's, I'd rank him around 20th or so, but that's just glancing at the list. Also depends if you're talking about a startup scenario or not.

Justin Hunter - not agile at all, bad hands, significantly taller and faster.
Marvin Jones - Can't jump, 5th round pick, poor college production
Chris Henry - No athletic numbers to be found anywhere besides his 40 time and vert.

Find me a better comparison;

Josh Doctson
6'2"
202 lbs
31 7/8” arms
9 7/8” hands
4.50 40
41” vert
6.84 3-cone
131” broad

Allen Robinson (pro day);
6'2"
208 lbs
32" arms
9 1/2" hands
~4.52 40
42" vert
6.54 3-cone
131" broad

They will also have similar college production and draft pedigree.