Jared Goff-Only 2016 QB Worth Discussing?

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.
1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby 1standgoal » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:29 am

Looking around College football I can't help but notice a lack of High-End signal callers that will be available in this years draft class. Conner Cook looks like every other backup QB from Michigan State, Ohio State appears to be running their QB situation like a pitching rotation, and Hackenberg, well, maybe he should give College another year because he hasn't looked great, not to me anyway.

Enter Jared Goff

I like what I've seen from this guy. I love my SEC teams but I've become more and more interested in some of the talent coming out of the PAC and I have to say that I am impressed with what I've seen from Goff. Starting quarterback from day one at a major university, Great numbers (holds records at Cal, a proving ground for some great NFL QB's), and his father was a professional athlete (doesn't mean anything but I don't knock it).

As of right now I like what I'm seeing and if he continues to play well I see him being taken early in the first to a team in need of a QB (Texans much?). It's too early to discuss fantasy implications (I take that back, its never too early. Have you seen some of these kids on Rivals ?), but Jared Goff continues to look the part.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jared Goff-Only 2016 QB Worth Discussing?

Postby rubber_duck » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:39 am

I typically put off watching film until after New Years, but Goff was added to my watch list last year and I took a peak at a couple of his games recently. Like you, he's at the top of my 2016 QB list, and the rest of the list is pretty much non-existent.

There is one concern I have with Goff at the moment. From the little film I've watched, he seems to thrown all his passes the same ... not changing velocity, trajectory, or anything. His passes all look the same. Sort of like a MLB pitcher with just one pitch.

Bison
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Bison » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Carson Wentz, QB North Dakota State

I'm a homer, so take my take as you want, but I've been watching this kid for the last year and half. I'm trying to be objective, but I think he has all the tools to succeed. Big, tall, fast, mobile, very good arm. He's got a 64.9% completion percentage, 14 TDs, 2 INTs.

McShay has him third behind Goff and Cook. Personally I think he's better than Cook, but I'd be hesitant to put him above Goff.

Check out some of his tape, I'd love to hear someone else's opinion.

TomBobAnderson
All Pro
All Pro

Postby TomBobAnderson » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Paxton Lynch

dlf_robw
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby dlf_robw » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:21 am

Paxton Lynch has obviously stormed onto the scene. Really impressive skill-set; would like to see him grow for one more year but the iron might be too hot to turn down NFL appeal.

I'm not huge on Cook. Feel Goff is clear number one with Cook/Lynch/aforementioned Wentz all behind him. Too bad Wentz is now down with injury. May not see him until Senior Bowl.

Diti51
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Diti51 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:58 pm

upside with Wentz injury is mainstream pundits may downgrade him and allow us to get at premium value in a rookie draft next year. Cook is frustrating due to inconsistency. Goff has been highly touted since coming out of high school and last year against Oregon he really did a lot with markedly inferior weapons. Would watch Matt Waldman RSP scouting on Connor Cooks where they also discuss Goff. Very good stuff. Great education on how to evaluate QB play.
Team 1- Friday Night Lights
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/K/D
http://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/14805#0
QB: Mahomes/Mayfield/Levis
RB: Jonathan Taylor/Singletary/Allgier/Ty Chandler/Bigsby/AGibson
WR: Garret Wilson/Nico Collins/Diontae Johnson/Mi Williams/Marquise Brown/Zay Flowers
TE: Goeddert/Njoku/Ferguson/Harrison Bryant

Team 2 - Good Life
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLEX/K/D
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/58823#0
QB: Josh Allen/Dobbs
RB: Jon Taylor/Roschon Johnson/JK Dobbins/Ty Chandler
WR: Diggs/Lockett/Diontae Johnson/Pittman/Elijah Moore/Jayden Reed/Wandale Robinson
TE: Ferguson/Okwonkwo/Juwan Johnson/Tucker Kraft/Ruckert

Team 3 - WFL
12 tm dynasty superflex, PPR, 26 man roster salary cap - no K/DST
QB: Fields/TLawrence/Zach Wilson/Mills
RB: Gibson/Chandler
WR: ACooper/Lockett/Godwin/Rashee Rice/Josh Downs/Mingo/Elijah Moore/WRobinson
TE: Goeddert/Trautman/Brevin Jordan

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:19 am

Just picked up Wentz very late in our annual devy draft. It seems the injury has made everyone forget about him or write him off. I've only seen a couple bits of video of him, but love what I've seen.

Diti51
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Diti51 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:19 am

Wentz also improved his deep ball before the injury which was one of the knocks on him. Good grab. Key for him, as well as any young QB, will be the landing spot and supporting cast.
Team 1- Friday Night Lights
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/3FLEX/K/D
http://www63.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/14805#0
QB: Mahomes/Mayfield/Levis
RB: Jonathan Taylor/Singletary/Allgier/Ty Chandler/Bigsby/AGibson
WR: Garret Wilson/Nico Collins/Diontae Johnson/Mi Williams/Marquise Brown/Zay Flowers
TE: Goeddert/Njoku/Ferguson/Harrison Bryant

Team 2 - Good Life
12 tm dynasty PPR, TE premiumQB/2RB/2WR/TE/2FLEX/K/D
http://www64.myfantasyleague.com/2017/home/58823#0
QB: Josh Allen/Dobbs
RB: Jon Taylor/Roschon Johnson/JK Dobbins/Ty Chandler
WR: Diggs/Lockett/Diontae Johnson/Pittman/Elijah Moore/Jayden Reed/Wandale Robinson
TE: Ferguson/Okwonkwo/Juwan Johnson/Tucker Kraft/Ruckert

Team 3 - WFL
12 tm dynasty superflex, PPR, 26 man roster salary cap - no K/DST
QB: Fields/TLawrence/Zach Wilson/Mills
RB: Gibson/Chandler
WR: ACooper/Lockett/Godwin/Rashee Rice/Josh Downs/Mingo/Elijah Moore/WRobinson
TE: Goeddert/Trautman/Brevin Jordan

Bison
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Bison » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:56 pm

Before the season I read a couple scouting reports on Wentz and ball security was a red flag. Mainly because scouts saw in the championship game he fumbled on a QB run where in the NFL he would have stepped out of bounds.

After the Montana game, the scouting reports came out he may have deep ball accuracy issues. He did miss a couple of throws, but on one it looks like a miss live, but slow it down and he nails the throw but the WR was held.

Having watched him play every play he's played in college the deep ball accuracy is not an issue. Doesn't hit them all, but hits them at a pretty fair clip. I'd say the biggest area he could clean up his game is footwork, which is an area even most NFL quarterbacks could improve upon.

He's had three so-so performances. In all three it was later confirmed he was playing injured. Two of them with sprained ankles. The other was when he broke his wrist. He broke his wrist on his throwing hand in the second drive of the game and finished the game. Competitiveness and toughness are there. Unfortunately it does raise some concern about possibly being injury prone.

A couple intangibles, he's a 4.0 student and a student of the game. The last game they gave him a series where he called the plays. Not here's a couple plays and you audible to the correct one depending on what you see from the defense, he's always done that. But full on your the OC this series run with it.

Again, I'm a homer, so watch the tape yourself. If you see some red flags watch a couple more games and see if those flags are still standing. Unfortunately in at least one of my leagues there are few NDSU fans so he won't be flying under the radar, but for the rest of this forum if you can get him without stretching the ceiling is high, IMO.

Cherokee
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Cherokee » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:11 am

Starting to look like Wentz over the others for me. I think Cleavland takes Lynch at 2 and then Philly takes Wentz mid 1st round. Still up in the air where Goff goes and when as I suspect Houston to wait until 2nd or 3rd and pull the trigger on Hackenberg. I could see San Fran taking Goff then again could see them rolling with Gabbert
12 Team 1QB IDP Full PPR Start 8
QB- Kenny Pickett, Jake Haener, Clayton Tune
RB- Jerrick McKinnon, Elijah Mitchell, Gus Edwards, Kenneth Gainwell, TDP, Jordan Mason
WR- Rondale Moore, Drake London, Jordan Addison, Terrence Marshall , Garrett Wilson, Chris Olave, Mecole Hardman, Rashid Shaheed, David Bell
TE- Michael Mayer, Likely, Chig, Cade Otten
LB- Jewell, Deablo, Troy Anderson
DE- Phillips, Highsmith
DB- Brisker, Hufanga, Cine
Taxi Squad: Chase Brown, A.T. Perry, Keaton Mitchell, Khalan Laborn, Lew Nichols lll

dlf_tomk
Starter
Starter

Postby dlf_tomk » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Just started watching Goff tonight. Clearly has arm strength but throws a lot of ugly looking balls. Also he seems to stare down his receivers (as do a lof=t of college QBs of course) and hasn't got great touch.

Disappointing viewing
IDP guy from England. Bashes out articles with dodgy graphs

@TomDegenerate

Bison
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Bison » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:15 pm

Wentz returned for the FCS championship. He looked 100%. Wrist injury firmly behind him.

GoBison90
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby GoBison90 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Wentz is 100% worth a look. I can see Arizona taking him end of 1st round, let him learn the system behind Palmer for a year or two, then step in when he retires or gets injured.