Tony Dungy On Tim Tebow

Interested in discussing college prospects? Or even High School Prospects? This is the forum.

Has Tony Dungy Changed Your Mind On Tebow?

Yes
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 29

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Tony Dungy On Tim Tebow

Postby Pilate » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:42 am

Tony Dungy was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and Dan Patrick asked Tony about Tim Tebow and Dungy had some very interesting comments on Tebow. The DPS is aired on Direct TV and I record it every morning and watch it later. The qoutes below were directly taken from the broadcast and I paused and rewound to get the qoutes correct.

Dungy "As an NFL coach, I always like winners in that position (QB) and guys who won." Tony goes on to talk about Charlie Ward and how he believed Ward would have been "fabulous in the NFL" given the fact that he was a winner in HS, College, and successful as an NBA point guard.

Dungy goes on to say "being a winner is the main pre-requisite to the Quaterback position and Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion and he doesn't have the accuracy right now maybe that some people are looking for but I think when he gets into a pro-system that really stresses throwing the ball he will become more accurate. The big thing is that he makes everyone around him better."

Dan Patrick went on to ask Tony Dungy if he had a top 10 pick and didn't have a franchise QB like St. Louis, would he use it on Tim Tebow and Dungy said YES. "Franchise Quaterbacks are hard to find and you know, I really believe in this guy." Dungy went on to talk about the 1999 draft with Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Donovan McNabb. Dungy said when he was looking at all the Quarterbacks that came out that year, McNabb was one of the guys who were not classic QB's. He didn't have great accuracy and wasn't a classic passer but he had alot of things going for him. Dungy stated he was fooled by those things and did not consider McNabb a pro-style kind of guy but he was a winner and out of all those QB's, McNabb has been the most successful.

The Bomb Shell

Dan Patrick "If these Quaterbacks are still on the board, Jake Locker at Washington, Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, Tebow. And you got a top 10 pick and you need a Quarterback......"

Tony Dungy "I'm taking Tebow".

While I don't want to toot my horn (ok..ya I do..) Indygator and I are the only ones (off the top of my head) who have fiercely defended Tebow and his NFL future as a QB. Now, you have Tony Dungy in our corner.

Anyone changed their mind??

grimace
All Pro
All Pro

Postby grimace » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:53 am

Damn it, I meant to click yes, but did it too quickly. I have liked Tebow, and I am hoping he does well at the next level. This makes me like him even more, I so respect what Dungy has to say, Now I ;m hoping he last until the second half of the second round so I can snag him.

Already have him on my taxi squad in the GDL3 league. ;)

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:20 am

That is quite the opinion!! Impressive....I have been a semi-believer in Tebow and having a backer like that doesn't hurt.

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am

No. Still not a Tebow fan as an NFL QB prospect. He looks more like an Amp Lee or Kimble Anders type of H-back. He could be the Brian Leonard of Quarterbacks. :lol:

If the main criteria for a QBs is winning we'd have a league full of starting quarterbacks named Tommy Frazier, Danny Wuerffel, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, etc...
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:07 pm

My washing machine works hard and is a winner. Maybe it'll get drafted top-10 or maybe it won't because he can't thow the football.

Love,

Shiner Bock
2nd Six Pack of the Day

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:14 pm

Here's some crazy-talk...Rick Gosselin (NFL beat writer) said today on the Dallas Morning News radio that he would take John Skelton, Fordham and Jarrett Brown, West Virginia before he "smoked from Dungy's pipe."

I stll think Tebow is a first, top of the second guy....

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:27 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:My washing machine works hard and is a winner. Maybe it'll get drafted top-10 or maybe it won't because he can't thow the football.

Love,

Shiner Bock
2nd Six Pack of the Day
Post of the day...Rack Him.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:34 pm

Pilate wrote:
dlf_stevea wrote:My washing machine works hard and is a winner. Maybe it'll get drafted top-10 or maybe it won't because he can't thow the football.

Love,

Shiner Bock
2nd Six Pack of the Day
Nate, you're a Rome boy too?!? Maybe we were separated at birth...latE

Can you say that you would take Tebow if you had a top10 pick and were the Rams, Raiders or Seahawks? That's a bold statement...

Pilate
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Pilate » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:36 pm

dlf_stevea wrote:
Pilate wrote:

Love,

Shiner Bock
2nd Six Pack of the Day
Nate, you're a Rome boy too?!? Maybe we were separated at birth...latE

Can you say that you would take Tebow if you had a top10 pick and were the Rams, Raiders or Seahawks? That's a bold statement...
Love Rome...OUT.

I am a huge Tebow fan and believe he will be a good NFL QB. But if I was picking for my beloved Seahawks...I would take McCoy (1st) then Bradford before Tebow.

stevea
All Pro
All Pro

Postby stevea » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:40 pm

Mark this down at the very least...Rennie won't be able to stop him this weekend. Gators by 28.

thevidon2
Starter
Starter

Postby thevidon2 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:08 pm

I think the most telling points in there were that:

1. Tebow is a winner
2. He make everyone around him better

I have always thought these two things about him, and it will come down to getting drafted into the right situation for him to be successful. Miami would have been a perfect landing spot behind Pennington before Henne got in there, but I can see him getting a nice slow development with the Seahawks or even the Patriots.

The Pats love smarts, work ethic, attitude, character and winning. They don't usually go for the "freak" athletes, and seem to stress character and smarts more than most other teams (maybe the Colts come in a fairly close second here). I can see them taking him if he falls into the second round and seeing if he can develop behind Brady.

Fletch_F_Fletch
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby Fletch_F_Fletch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Take it with a grain of salt, but over on ESPN NFL Rumors, there's an entry asserting that NE could draft Tebow and implement a 2QB system, where Tebow and Brady would be on the field at the same time and every play.
Q -- "What kind of name is 'Poon' anyway?" A -- "Commanche Indian."

bigcsr67
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby bigcsr67 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:33 pm

The only reason Dungy loves him some Tebow, is because the two of them were room mates at bible camp back in the day :roll: . Almost every QB drafted was a winner in college, and the reason they made it to the pros is because they made their teams better. Tebow will be a bust at QB, no ifs and or buts.... The guy is not an NFL QB. Great player indeed, but life will be a bit different when he gets to the league. Can you say...... Multiple concussions???

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Tony Dungy On Tim Tebow

Postby Steelersfan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Pilate wrote:Tony Dungy was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and Dan Patrick asked Tony about Tim Tebow and Dungy had some very interesting comments on Tebow. The DPS is aired on Direct TV and I record it every morning and watch it later. The qoutes below were directly taken from the broadcast and I paused and rewound to get the qoutes correct.

Dungy "As an NFL coach, I always like winners in that position (QB) and guys who won." Tony goes on to talk about Charlie Ward and how he believed Ward would have been "fabulous in the NFL" given the fact that he was a winner in HS, College, and successful as an NBA point guard.

Dungy goes on to say "being a winner is the main pre-requisite to the Quaterback position and Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion and he doesn't have the accuracy right now maybe that some people are looking for but I think when he gets into a pro-system that really stresses throwing the ball he will become more accurate. The big thing is that he makes everyone around him better."

Dan Patrick went on to ask Tony Dungy if he had a top 10 pick and didn't have a franchise QB like St. Louis, would he use it on Tim Tebow and Dungy said YES. "Franchise Quaterbacks are hard to find and you know, I really believe in this guy." Dungy went on to talk about the 1999 draft with Tim Couch, Akili Smith, and Donovan McNabb. Dungy said when he was looking at all the Quarterbacks that came out that year, McNabb was one of the guys who were not classic QB's. He didn't have great accuracy and wasn't a classic passer but he had alot of things going for him. Dungy stated he was fooled by those things and did not consider McNabb a pro-style kind of guy but he was a winner and out of all those QB's, McNabb has been the most successful.

The Bomb Shell

Dan Patrick "If these Quaterbacks are still on the board, Jake Locker at Washington, Clausen, Bradford, McCoy, Tebow. And you got a top 10 pick and you need a Quarterback......"

Tony Dungy "I'm taking Tebow".

While I don't want to toot my horn (ok..ya I do..) Indygator and I are the only ones (off the top of my head) who have fiercely defended Tebow and his NFL future as a QB. Now, you have Tony Dungy in our corner.

Anyone changed their mind??
Not me.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:11 pm

A few analysts have projected that Tebow could become an H-Back "Frank Wycheck" type player in the NFL, and I think that might be his best bet, and he still could have a good career in that type of role, not so much as an NFL Quarterback.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince