BROWNS WIN

Moderator: TrueDawg

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

BROWNS WIN

Postby citsalp1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:54 am

Man i was screaming my head-off. They have the best fans in the NFL. Happy for them. Baker looks like a stud.

ssmith313105
Role Player
Role Player

Re: BROWNS WIN

Postby ssmith313105 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:10 am

Baker is definitely a stud.

Phone lines are open Browns fans,

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:28 am

I'll always pull for the Browns, even if I haven't considered myself a Browns' fan in years, but let's hold off on ordering his bust for Canton, at least until he does it as a starter, against a team that's not the Jets, once or twice. I mean for the sake of comparison...

Mayfield's debut: 17/23, 201, 0, 0 (comeback victory)
Darnold's debut: 16/21, 198, 2, 1 (blowout victory)

Does anyone think Darnold looks like the Jets' savior right now? Did anyone think Goff would amount to anything after his rookie year? Does anyone know what to make of Carr? Winston? Then of course, you have Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has apparently decided, at the age of 36, that he's the GOAT...

Great QBs aren't made in the fall, and they sure as hell aren't made in the summer (which it technically is until tomorrow), they're made in the winter. If Mayfield plays meaningful games in the winter, he'll be one of the most, if not the most beloved player in the NFL. If he actually wins some of those games, he'll be immortalized (in Cleveland, if not Canton). But wins in September don't mean a whole lot.

ssmith313105
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ssmith313105 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 pm

The team has won 1 game in 2 seasons, you saw the best QB performance from a Brown in 20 years and that didn’t get you the least bit excited? If I was a Browns fan I’d actually feel optimistic about the future of the team for once.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:16 pm

I was just happy for the fans. I was going bonkers.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:30 am

ssmith313105 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:06 pm The team has won 1 game in 2 seasons, you saw the best QB performance from a Brown in 20 years and that didn’t get you the least bit excited? If I was a Browns fan I’d actually feel optimistic about the future of the team for once.
I hope they finally turn things around, it would be great for the league and city, but I can't help thinking the media and other teams' fans are making a bigger deal of Thursday than Browns' fans. For the latter, optimism is (understandably) a lot more reserved. The Browns have "instilled confidence" multiple times in the past 20 years, but they're the Browns. It's going to take more than one season, let alone one game, to convince me of much of anything. If Baker proves to be the real deal, that'd be a huge step in the right direction, but again, that takes more than one game. As for that one game, it was obviously a very positive first impression, but to say it was the best Browns' QB performance in 20 years is hyperbole of the highest order...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... bleep_rating

PS - The Browns should probably be 3-0 right now. That they're not, and people are celebrating them finally winning a game, is about the Brownsiest thing ever.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 am

I agree with Xulu that the media is making a bigger deal out of the win. Hollywood couldn't have scripted it any better. They managed to not win week 1 or 2 (and they should have won both), so the winless streak is still alive for their only primetime game of the season. And #1 overall pick Mayfield is forced into the game with no practice / reps with the 1st team, down 14, and leads the Browns on a furious comeback to win the game. It sounds like a movie.

But still, it was great. Baker was electric. He was ripping the ball and making throws Tyrod would never have attempted. And the Browns would have lost again. They should probably be 3-0 and in first place... which only underscores Hue's stupidity and stubbornness for refusing to give Baker and 1st team reps or even a CHANCE to compete for the starting job.

Was it the best Browns QB performance we've seen in 20 years? Who cares. It's the best one in years, and it shows the promise and potential Mayfield has. For the first time in a long time, the Browns have hope at the most important position. Whether he lives up to all that remains to be seen. But we all know how the media loves to anoint players after one or two or six good games, when in reality it takes way longer than that to really cement yourself as a premier player. Look at Deshaun Watson. They've been crowning that guy since his injury last season (nobody talks about the 8 INTs in 6 games) and he's come crashing back to earth.

I'm optimistic that they're trending in the right direction, particularly from a roster perspective. But Hue remains a glaring problem and honestly, I don't want him coaching Mayfield. Until we get a competent head coach (would love it if we could entice Bruce Arians out of retirement), it's hard to get TOO excited.