2017 Season Discussion

Moderator: TrueDawg

SuperHawks
Starter
Starter

Re: 2017 Season Discussion

Postby SuperHawks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:53 pm

Need a big game out of Russell here tonight, especially to PRich and Lockett!

sprtsfrk208
Captain
Captain

Postby sprtsfrk208 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:00 pm

SuperHawks wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:53 pm Need a big game out of Russell here tonight, especially to PRich and Lockett!
That would be great for Russ!

sprtsfrk208
Captain
Captain

Postby sprtsfrk208 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:15 pm Well, RIP my season. What a bleeping joke. I can't even list the amount of comical bleep that had to go wrong -- and did -- for me to end up in this exact position. Dunno if I'll be back next year, just like the NFL it's barely even fun any more.

GL to those in the playoffs. It's wide open that's for sure, every week it's some waiver-wire turd and defense blowing up while studs disappear. I predict Hotwings at 5-8 wins it all. Just because.
It’s not over yet, unless I win the WC (looks like I will finish with the most points).

SuperHawks
Starter
Starter

Postby SuperHawks » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm

Barring a meltdown of epic proportions by Big Ben and Boswell it’s looking like I’ll sneak in to the playoffs. Unbelievable considering I waved the white flag and sold all my best players off. The fantasy gods would be some cruel MoFos if I somehow pulled off the upset next week vs SMTM (Spoiler alert: I won’t)

sprtsfrk208
Captain
Captain

Postby sprtsfrk208 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:36 am

3 way tie coming! 😉

sprtsfrk208
Captain
Captain

Postby sprtsfrk208 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:22 am

Tough to believe that both current AFC division leaders are on the verge of not even making the playoffs. Insanity!

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 am

I hate these stupid league rules. I'm not going to get a playoff spot (assuming HHM doesn't pull out the game today) because I didn't score enough points but I'm not going to be in the bottom bracket because I won too many games. WTF? That makes no sense. My team is essentially being punished for other teams having bad weeks against me.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 am

sprtsfrk208 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm It’s not over yet, unless I win the WC (looks like I will finish with the most points).
At the time of writing I knew you were gonna win very easily, that just means a 3-way tie that we still don't know the outcome for. Even if we get it right and you win the division as you should, I still don't care any more. I didn't even realize AB could potentially miss a game until way after the news broke. Only force of habit had me checking my lineup (and I still got every single close decision I genuinely considered wrong - literally every single one, awesome).

It occurred to me that I think I actually watch Red Zone for a few hours every week because of fantasy. Which is kind of cool, except I no longer get much enjoyment out of watching at all, even for my FF players.

SuperHawks
Starter
Starter

Postby SuperHawks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:51 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 am
sprtsfrk208 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:47 pm It’s not over yet, unless I win the WC (looks like I will finish with the most points).
At the time of writing I knew you were gonna win very easily, that just means a 3-way tie that we still don't know the outcome for. Even if we get it right and you win the division as you should, I still don't care any more. I didn't even realize AB could potentially miss a game until way after the news broke. Only force of habit had me checking my lineup (and I still got every single close decision I genuinely considered wrong - literally every single one, awesome).

It occurred to me that I think I actually watch Red Zone for a few hours every week because of fantasy. Which is kind of cool, except I no longer get much enjoyment out of watching at all, even for my FF players.
The outcome is clear. If I win, I’m in and SMTM gets the wildcard. Now if we’re talking about adjusting for future that may be a different discussion just like it always is. As the rules are currently written, which is all that matters for this season, I would win the division via tie breakers.

Genuinely curious though as to what your reasoning is behind stating SMTM should be the division champion (other than the obvious because you’d get in the playoffs)?

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 am

As the rules are currently written?

Standings are based on overall record. In cases where ties occur, they are broken using the following rules:
Division Champ: Best overall record in the division. In the case of a tie, we'll use the following tiebreakers: head-to-head record, division record, total points scored.

WHY would head-to-head be skipped? It literally says nothing about skipping that tiebreaker. The NFL, which we've ALWAYS mimicked ourselves after, does not skip this tiebreaker.

To be honest I have no idea who that puts in anyway. I don't even know where to start when it comes to a 3-way H2H tiebreaker. *IF* it actually ends such that we move from that to the next tiebreaker, that's a different story. But to simply skip it because it's a 3-way tie? like ... why? Who says? Precedent? huh?

SuperHawks
Starter
Starter

Postby SuperHawks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 am As the rules are currently written?

Standings are based on overall record. In cases where ties occur, they are broken using the following rules:
Division Champ: Best overall record in the division. In the case of a tie, we'll use the following tiebreakers: head-to-head record, division record, total points scored.

WHY would head-to-head be skipped? It literally says nothing about skipping that tiebreaker. The NFL, which we've ALWAYS mimicked ourselves after, does not skip this tiebreaker.

To be honest I have no idea who that puts in anyway. I don't even know where to start when it comes to a 3-way H2H tiebreaker. *IF* it actually ends such that we move from that to the next tiebreaker, that's a different story. But to simply skip it because it's a 3-way tie? like ... why? Who says? Precedent? huh?
The reality is you can use any tie breaker that has been mentioned already but in this case it eventually comes down to division record anyway.

Still curious about why you think SMTM
Should be the division champ though. Not trying to be a smart bleep, genuinely wondering because I’m interested to hear your perspective on it.

I get it that you’re pissed about missing the playoffs, I would be (and have been) too because on a paper you have a VASTLY superior team and are missing the playoffs because an inferior team is making it over you. I’ve been on that end of getting “screwed” before too and it’s not fun so I totally get it.

At the end of the day the only way to avoid weaker teams getting in over more “deserving” teams is to eliminate divisions altogether and just take the highest scoring teams. Question is does this league have an appetite for that?

jimscafs25
Starter
Starter

Postby jimscafs25 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:31 am

Hoping for low scoring, fg contest tonight.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:36 am

SuperHawks wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 am
Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 am As the rules are currently written?

The reality is you can use any tie breaker that has been mentioned already but in this case it eventually comes down to division record anyway.

Still curious about why you think SMTM
Should be the division champ though. Not trying to be a smart bleep, genuinely wondering because I’m interested to hear your perspective on it.

I get it that you’re pissed about missing the playoffs, I would be (and have been) too because on a paper you have a VASTLY superior team and are missing the playoffs because an inferior team is making it over you. I’ve been on that end of getting “screwed” before too and it’s not fun so I totally get it.

At the end of the day the only way to avoid weaker teams getting in over more “deserving” teams is to eliminate divisions altogether and just take the highest scoring teams. Question is does this league have an appetite for that?
If this league gets to that point I'm done. It's already dumb enough to have WC decided on one criteria but everything else decided on another criteria.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:37 am

monkeybones wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:25 am I hate these stupid league rules. I'm not going to get a playoff spot (assuming HHM doesn't pull out the game today) because I didn't score enough points but I'm not going to be in the bottom bracket because I won too many games. WTF? That makes no sense. My team is essentially being punished for other teams having bad weeks against me.
The current rules are going to keep Multiple Scorgasms out of the playoffs too... I think he was one of the staunchest supporters of using total points for the wild card, ironically.

Like I said when this rule changed got voted through...I'd rather use record for everything...that's the point of a head-to-head league. If points scored is the best way to determine who is truly the better team, we should just scrap the divisions and H2H matchups and just take the top 6 teams in total points for the playoffs.

Better yet, why even have playoffs... we could just play through week 16 and the team with the most points scored would be champ.

I will happily have this argument again in the spring when we discuss rule changes.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:18 pm

SuperHawks wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:06 am The reality is you can use any tie breaker that has been mentioned already but in this case it eventually comes down to division record anyway.
Do you mean by processing them in the correct order as per the rules, i.e. the first tiebreaker is H2H, that H2H is also tied? I honestly don’t know how it’s done, but I guess if you are also 2-0 vs WBS then you and SMTM would be tied and you win on division record. That’s fair. If you were 1-1 or 0-2 vs WBS then clearly SMTM wins the division by winning the first tiebreaker. Not at a computer to check.

As for why I think, it’s pretty simple, the guy’s got the most points in the league. It’s bad enough luck to only win 7 games, points should easily be the first tiebreaker IMO. I’m just anti-luck/fortune/random circumstance in all things I do. There’s nothing prejudice about points. Like Hotwings last year, any of your recent great teams, etc., those teams produced like the best. Either way, none of that matters, it’s just my opinion.