2017 Rule Change Suggestions

Moderator: TrueDawg

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Re: 2017 Rule Change Suggestions

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:23 pm

For most QBs it's a lot easier to throw a TD than an INT. We've always been so soft in this league - used to be on defenses, now QBs. Why shouldn't we punish bad performance? 8 points obviously isn't a ton ... but it's still more than a bunch of WR and RB might score on a solid day where they put up 75 yards. For a performance THAT bad, IMO you should be punished for starting a guy who's that bad.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:51 pm

Multiple Scorgasms wrote:For most QBs it's a lot easier to throw a TD than an INT. We've always been so soft in this league - used to be on defenses, now QBs. Why shouldn't we punish bad performance? 8 points obviously isn't a ton ... but it's still more than a bunch of WR and RB might score on a solid day where they put up 75 yards. For a performance THAT bad, IMO you should be punished for starting a guy who's that bad.
In a 16 team you just can't. 8 pts is punishment enough. Qb is always, has always been, will always be the highest scored position in FFB, and it should be. Gotta remember the QB only gets 4 pts for a TD vs 6pts for any other player

From a pure FFB standpoint a wr putting up 7.5 points(75 yards) sucks also...I should know I have the FFB record for the most #2,#3,and #4 Wr's on any one team...LOL sad but true

I think the scoring is perfect...Now let's talk about off season trading or extending the trade deadline or adding another roseter spot,,,better yet all three

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Mon May 29, 2017 10:00 am

QB rushing yards should be scored the same as passing yards. Currently, if a QB gets sacked for 10 yards, then rushes for 10 yards, it's a net positive. How does that make sense? :think:

I wouldn't support more than -2/INT; however, it might make sense to implement an additional penalty for multi-interception games, but how much and at what threshold? Decreasing passing yard points (currently 20 yards/point) slightly (25 yards/point) might be good.

I'd like to see a bonus for certain rushing/receiving thresholds. Big games for RBs/WRs/TEs are entirely too TD dependent.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 am

Jack up the cost of draft picks, I'll find the old proven numbers somewhere. It will eliminate some of the BS going on FA.

jimscafs25
Starter
Starter

Postby jimscafs25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:34 am

citsalp1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 am Jack up the cost of draft picks, I'll find the old proven numbers somewhere. It will eliminate some of the BS going on FA.
That's ridiculous. I rather spend money on proven free agents than untested rookies.

If you want to fix free agency bidding, we need to include years in our bidding. We tried doing this a few years ago, but nobody wanted to vote for it.

jimscafs25
Starter
Starter

Postby jimscafs25 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 am

i think we should expand the off season roster to 21.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:25 am

citsalp1 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 am Jack up the cost of draft picks, I'll find the old proven numbers somewhere. It will eliminate some of the BS going on FA.
Why not just increase the catch and release penalty to 40% or more and include trades?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 am

No it wont...the #1 pick used to be $22,000. Now it's $11,000. So at MOST it's going to impact one team by $11,000. That's not going to change ANYTHING about FA bidding. And why would we want to anyway? The proven vets are the ones who DESERVE the money, just like the actual league.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:35 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:23 pm For most QBs it's a lot easier to throw a TD than an INT. We've always been so soft in this league - used to be on defenses, now QBs. Why shouldn't we punish bad performance? 8 points obviously isn't a ton ... but it's still more than a bunch of WR and RB might score on a solid day where they put up 75 yards. For a performance THAT bad, IMO you should be punished for starting a guy who's that bad.
We need to figure out some way to curb QB scoring, even if it's done incrementally over a couple years. I'm sorry but Jay Cutler and Trevor Siemian shouldn't outscore Antonio Brown. They just shouldn't. Cuz, ya know...they're TRASH.

We could start by lowering yardage scoring.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:36 am

citsalp1 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:51 pm In a 16 team you just can't. 8 pts is punishment enough. Qb is always, has always been, will always be the highest scored position in FFB, and it should be. Gotta remember the QB only gets 4 pts for a TD vs 6pts for any other player
Sorry but trash can QB2s shouldn't outscore the best WR in the league.

Yes, QBs only score 4 points for a TD...good QBs also throw 20+ TDs a year. When was the last time a RB or WR scored more than 20? Don't know? I'll tell you. EIGHT players since 2000 (and TWENTY in NFL history) have scored more than 20 TDs in a season. The last one was Randy Moss in 2007 (23 TDs). SEVENTEEN QBs threw 20+ TDs last SEASON. That's the whole reason passing touchdowns are scored lower in the first place. Plus, QBs get 6 points for rushing TDs, which gives some QBs a little extra value.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:13 am

Passing yardage scored at 20/point instead of 25 (or higher)/point is the biggest scoring issue with QBs. In decades of fantasy football, I don't think I've ever seen that in another league, and passing yardage now is a hell of a lot "easier" to compile than ever before.

Last year:

4000+ yards passing: 13 QBs (Brees had over 5k, and Ryan and Cousins were within striking distance)
3000+ yards passing: 25 QBs
Only two teams came up short of 3000+: Rams and 49ers.

That's a huge shift, even from 2006...

4000+ yard passing: 5 QBs (Brees was the highest that year too, with 4418...almost 800 yards less than last year)
3000+ yards passing: 14 QB
Ten teams came up short of 3000+.

The top 10 last year, averaged more than Brees lead the league with in '06.

Absolutely no one is suggesting QBs shouldn't be the highest scoring position, but QB scoring is out of wack.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:18 am

Rookie salaries might be a little light now, but they were absolutely absurd before.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:35 am

I don't know what "BS" you think is going on in FA that is a product of draft pick pricing...

Julio Jones, AJ Green, and TY Hilton were pretty standard. Actually, even low compared to similar UFAs in years past. So I'll assume you're talking about my defenses or Monkeybones QBs...

Unless I'm missing something, Monkeybones has two players he's drafted top 10: Mixon and Shepard. Under the old rookie contract structure, he'd still have enough $ for Rivers and Taylor. Looking at his roster, I see the bigger issue being how cheap he was allowed to get some of his other FAs: Gore @12k, Sanders @16k, and Baltimore's D at 1.5k.

I definitely didn't plan on going 10K+ for two defenses. I fully expected to win the Chiefs for 5-6k. But again, looking at my roster, I don't see how the rookie salary structure would have changed that. If we still had the old rookie salary structure, I wouldn't have traded Brown for 1.02, so I wouldn't have Henry. Doubling the salaries of Winston, Howard, Evans, and Howard wouldn't change much.

I actually find it a bit odd that you seem upset by certain things being "overbid," driving up their value, when I think the opposite is a much bigger issue. There were a lot of second and third tier FAs that went well below what their market value should have been. I think that's partly tanking and partly relative inactivity. Steals in UFA hurt the league a lot more than people overpaying. If anything, people overpaying for UFAs is the solution to, not a consequence of, having too much free cap space.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 am

What exactly is there to fix in UFA? Yeah defenses are expensive, but that's because YOU guys voted to keep them and have them score like elite level skill players on a good day. So you need to pay for a good one. Other than that I don't see what the issue is. People cry about using 48 hours as per the rules, and even more about "driving up the price" (which is often said even when a competitor simply WANTS the same guy). UFA is a straight-out dogfight, it's just the way it is, 10-12 competitive owners with 30-45 roster spots and only 4-8 elite guys and a couple handfuls of solid ones leftover. What do we expect?

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:00 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 am What exactly is there to fix in UFA? Yeah defenses are expensive, but that's because YOU guys voted to keep them and have them score like elite level skill players on a good day. So you need to pay for a good one. Other than that I don't see what the issue is. People cry about using 48 hours as per the rules, and even more about "driving up the price" (which is often said even when a competitor simply WANTS the same guy). UFA is a straight-out dogfight, it's just the way it is, 10-12 competitive owners with 30-45 roster spots and only 4-8 elite guys and a couple handfuls of solid ones leftover. What do we expect?
OK who's gonna be the #1 D or K this year...? Tell me that, I'll go buy lotto tickets tm...better yet, what is the price difference between the the #1 D and and #1K...vs the top 5 as far as points. 2 points a game?