2016 League Discussion Thread

Moderator: TrueDawg

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2016 League Discussion Thread

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:26 pm

citsalp1 wrote:Yeah I noticed that...but you picked up points on me and Xulu
You, yes...Xulu, maybe. He still has Jimmy Graham going tonight. If I manage to win, I'll stay a game behind the division lead.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:31 pm

TrueDawg wrote:
citsalp1 wrote:Yeah I noticed that...but you picked up points on me and Xulu
You, yes...Xulu, maybe. He still has Jimmy Graham going tonight. If I manage to win, I'll stay a game behind the division lead.

Trust me I know...That's why tanking is forbidden, you have a shot at winning the the division, not just the wildcard.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:49 pm

citsalp1 wrote:
sprtsfrk208 wrote:No one is denying that but its not how we want this league to be played
So I should try to not get a high draft pick when my team is going no where this season?
So do you wanna play in a league where half the teams start tanking after 6-7 weeks?[/quote]

So you want to play in a league where owners complain and don't worry about their own teams? I'm only hurting the development of my team if a strategy of mine doesn't work. Most contending teams don't worry about non-playoff squads.[/quote]

The last paragragh, is where you missing the point. Especially if you want W vs L considered the only way to make the the playoffs. Yes contending teams, do worry about non-contending teams due to the fact contending teams
play non contending teams every week.

Your arguement about ponts vs W-L just sank like the Titanic.[/quote]

This is my perspective which I'm sure many of you will disagree with.

The way our league is setup a team like mine is penalized for winning. Because I won a few games early in season I am sitting at 3-5 with the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league. Since my team isn't good enough to win my division the WC is the only thing I would normally have to play for. Since points and not record is all that matters for the WC I have also been eliminated from that. The problem is I have been eliminated from the playoffs but because my 3-5 record I am on the fringe of being left out of a top pick. I have the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league yet I could be left out of the bottom group because of my W-L record but my W-L record won't help me make the playoffs because I haven't scored enough points. What am I supposed to do? Sit back and start my best players, beat Fourth and Goal to bring my record to 4-5 knowing I have to play a 1-7 team next week? I could end up at 5-5 which most likely out of the bottom group but nowhere near the playoffs because I haven't scored enough points. Using points as the determining factor for the playoffs but record for seeding the losers bracket left my team stuck in the middle where I felt I had to try to lose.

For the integrity of the league I shouldn't have actively tried to lose. I get that. My issue is our setup has made it so I can only be penalized for winning. How is that fair?

I've already set my lineup for the rest of the regular season so I'll start my best players. I just think we need to really think about what happens to all of the teams when rule changes are made instead of just the teams at the top. We don't run into this in Tecmo even though we have the same group of players. I like to think it's because wins and loses mean something.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:50 pm

citsalp1 wrote:
Multiple Scorgasms wrote:By the way, THIS is a goddamn perfect reason why giving wildcard to points is smart. Get the hell out of here with that record BS when my main rival for the wildcard is getting free wins like this.
We don't agree all the time...but I'm with you on this scenario, and subject matter. Dre is rebuilding, he's won the league...I have never met him, nor you, and most of the other owners. Everyone has always fought to try and,( win or score more points)(which normally transpires in a win) Never seen this happen before ever, ever. :shock:
This happened last year. In the playoffs.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:09 pm

monkeybones wrote:This is my perspective which I'm sure many of you will disagree with.

The way our league is setup a team like mine is penalized for winning. Because I won a few games early in season I am sitting at 3-5 with the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league. Since my team isn't good enough to win my division the WC is the only thing I would normally have to play for. Since points and not record is all that matters for the WC I have also been eliminated from that. The problem is I have been eliminated from the playoffs but because my 3-5 record I am on the fringe of being left out of a top pick. I have the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league yet I could be left out of the bottom group because of my W-L record but my W-L record won't help me make the playoffs because I haven't scored enough points. What am I supposed to do? Sit back and start my best players, beat Fourth and Goal to bring my record to 4-5 knowing I have to play a 1-7 team next week? I could end up at 5-5 which most likely out of the bottom group but nowhere near the playoffs because I haven't scored enough points. Using points as the determining factor for the playoffs but record for seeding the losers bracket left my team stuck in the middle where I felt I had to try to lose.

For the integrity of the league I shouldn't have actively tried to lose. I get that. My issue is our setup has made it so I can only be penalized for winning. How is that fair?

I've already set my lineup for the rest of the regular season so I'll start my best players. I just think we need to really think about what happens to all of the teams when rule changes are made instead of just the teams at the top. We don't run into this in Tecmo even though we have the same group of players. I like to think it's because wins and loses mean something.
Using record instead of points for the wild card wouldn't stop teams from tanking. I'm 3-5 in Tecmo and while I'm technically still in the hunt for a playoff spot, my team has no shot of winning a title. I could tank for a higher pick...but I won't.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Yeah...I just deleted the last post. That kind of stuff isn't necessary. Let's keep it civil. It's not like we have money on the line here.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:32 pm

TrueDawg wrote:Yeah...I just deleted the last post. That kind of stuff isn't necessary. Let's keep it civil. It's not like we have money on the line here.
Sorry, just got riled up...My bad

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:36 pm

TrueDawg wrote:
monkeybones wrote:This is my perspective which I'm sure many of you will disagree with.

Using record instead of points for the wild card wouldn't stop teams from tanking. I'm 3-5 in Tecmo and while I'm technically still in the hunt for a playoff spot, my team has no shot of winning a title. I could tank for a higher pick...but I won't.
It won't stop teams from tanking but it gives teams like yours the opportunity to make the playoffs and once that happens all bets are off.

Like I said, you all don't have to agree with me. Most if not all of you won't. I'm telling you my reasoning and it's the same reasoning Xulu used last year when he tanked a playoff game but no one threatened to throw him out of the league.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:45 pm

monkeybones wrote:It won't stop teams from tanking but it gives teams like yours the opportunity to make the playoffs and once that happens all bets are off.

Like I said, you all don't have to agree with me. Most if not all of you won't. I'm telling you my reasoning and it's the same reasoning Xulu used last year when he tanked a playoff game but no one threatened to throw him out of the league.
Maybe I should have made a bigger deal out of it then...but I am now.

sprtsfrk208
Captain
Captain

Postby sprtsfrk208 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:56 pm

You have to be consistent, if we are talking about the integrity of the league.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:04 pm

Bleh...Jimmy Graham. 2 games out of first now.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:09 pm

sprtsfrk208 wrote:You have to be consistent, if we are talking about the integrity of the league.
Oh please...don't put this on me. You're the one throwing games.

sprtsfrk208
Captain
Captain

Postby sprtsfrk208 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:18 pm

You aren't protecting the integrity of the league, if you allow another owner to throw a playoff game, which is probably more significant from a draft position standpoint. I agree with monkeybones, while I agree tanking isn't a strategy that should be used in our league, when you have nothing to gain in the season, winning matchups isn't going to accomplish anything.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:22 pm

sprtsfrk208 wrote:You aren't protecting the integrity of the league, if you allow another owner to throw a playoff game, which is probably more significant from a draft position standpoint.
Oh no...he wound up with the 5th pick instead of the 4th!!! The horror! At least that doesn't impact who may or may not get into the playoffs (which can also obviously impacts who wins the championship).
I agree with monkeybones, while I agree tanking isn't a strategy that should be used in our league, when you have nothing to gain in the season, winning matchups isn't going to accomplish anything.
I try to cut everyone some slack...that's why I haven't come down on anyone for it before and why I didn't "punish" Xulu (nor am I punishing anyone else at this point). But like I said before, I'm warning everyone in the league. There's no more rope left.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:47 pm

Shadyyyyyyyy. Have my babies!

Ignored not once, not twice but THREE times inside the 5-yard line for easy scores, and he still comes through for me like a boss. :thumbup: