Moderator: TrueDawg

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2017 Season Discussion

Postby monkeybones » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 am

citsalp1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 pm
monkeybones wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 am
jimscafs25 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:35 am Points decides only one thing, Wildcard. Everything else we do gets decided by record. Division winners, playoff seeding and draft order. I really don't see the issue here.

The only thing I would tweak is dropping conferences altogether. Just keep the 4 divisions with the 4 division winners making the playoffs, with the top 2 getting byes. Then the 2 highest scoring non division winners get the wildcard.

In terms of draft order, I would just make it one bracket to avoid any more confusion. Give every non playoff team a chance at the first pick. Lets stop rewarding bad teams. You want a high draft pick, build a team good enough to compete.
You don’t see a problem that my team is losing on both ends? I can’t make the Championship playoffs and I can’t play for the top pick. If it was one or the other it would be fine. I’m losing out on both because we are not consistent with our rules.

If you think it’s good for competitive balance to have a team like TDU or MS getting the #1 overall pick then I’m not sure what to say.
On what planet do you figure TDU or MS would qualify for the #1 pick? HOW?
They shouldn't have that opportunity but if we say any team that doesn't make the playoffs has a chance at the top pick they would be included.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm

monkeybones wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 am
citsalp1 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 pm
monkeybones wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:03 am

You don’t see a problem that my team is losing on both ends? I can’t make the Championship playoffs and I can’t play for the top pick. If it was one or the other it would be fine. I’m losing out on both because we are not consistent with our rules.

If you think it’s good for competitive balance to have a team like TDU or MS getting the #1 overall pick then I’m not sure what to say.
On what planet do you figure TDU or MS would qualify for the #1 pick? HOW?
They shouldn't have that opportunity but if we say any team that doesn't make the playoffs has a chance at the top pick they would be included.
It's impossible, this isn't the NBA draft where they bounce ping-pong balls in a barrel . Show me any scenario where TDU, MS get the #1 pick.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 pm

citsalp1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm It's impossible, this isn't the NBA draft where they bounce ping-pong balls in a barrel . Show me any scenario where TDU, MS get the #1 pick.
You're missing the point....Jim suggested having ALL non-playoff teams in a single bracket, competing for picks. In that scenario, they WOULD have a shot at the #1 pick.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:33 pm

TrueDawg wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:06 pm
citsalp1 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:02 pm It's impossible, this isn't the NBA draft where they bounce ping-pong balls in a barrel . Show me any scenario where TDU, MS get the #1 pick.
You're missing the point....Jim suggested having ALL non-playoff teams in a single bracket, competing for picks. In that scenario, they WOULD have a shot at the #1 pick.
Yes I was missing that point. That wouldn't be fair at all toward teams trying to build there roster. MS and TDU are stacked teams already, the way the AFC played this year was an anomaly. No the weaker teams should be rewarded with the higher draft spot. The way it's set-up it is....

I did miss that point, but that would be unheard of, reward stronger teams with a higher draft spot? That's azzbackwards, any way you look at it....

Look at it this way, say for some reason I win it all this year, possible, not probable. I have MS's #1 pick next year, so I win the Championship, and I get the #1 pick if the non playoff teams compete for the #1 pick and MS wins the brackets. That's not gonna fly....

jimscafs25
Starter
Starter

Postby jimscafs25 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:17 pm

A) i thought the point of the consolation bracket was to keep teams competitive, and stop tanking for better picks?

B) in my proposal, multiple would have made the playoffs and would not have been eligible for the first pick.

C) If we are telling thunder hes not good enough for the playoffs, why not make him eligible for the first pick. We shouldn't penalize him for building a competitive team. Plus hed have to win 3 games to get it.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:29 pm

jimscafs25 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:17 pm A) i thought the point of the consolation bracket was to keep teams competitive, and stop tanking for better picks?

B) in my proposal, multiple would have made the playoffs and would not have been eligible for the first pick.

C) If we are telling thunder hes not good enough for the playoffs, why not make him eligible for the first pick. We shouldn't penalize him for building a competitive team. Plus hed have to win 3 games to get it.
I respectfully disagree

A) teams are not tanking to get higher picks , so it's working as it is .

B) The AFC was an anomaly this year MS lost a key player, TDU lost a key player. in a division that was on fire.
Sometimes good teams are gonna miss the playoffs when you have this many good owners.

C) We have already played 13 games, the slots for an exact draft spot are still on the line. Nobody is penalizing TDU . It's just the way it happened. What you are proposing is giving little hope too teams that are trying to build a competitive roster. What are the chances of the 10 teams out of the playoffs beating MS or TDU, who already have extremely competitive rosters Those teams need the higher draft picks so they also can build a competitive team .

D) The turnover would be massive if owners trying to build a team would be subjected to that whole scenario.

E) It's not like TDU or MS are getting bad draft picks in the first place.

F) Plenty of great players have been drafted, not even in the first round.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 am

Awesome. I'm playing for the 9th or 10th pick. Not unexpected but disappointing.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:02 pm

monkeybones wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:57 am Awesome. I'm playing for the 9th or 10th pick. Not unexpected but disappointing.
That's about right, you made a couple of HUGE bad decisions with your roster, we all do. If you would have saved that 30k you on Taylor, you probably would have made the playoffs. But if were just looking for a higher round draft pick, I guess it was the right move. It was a different type year. and the AFC(tip my cap) was blistering everyone.

9th or 10th pick has a lot of potential...

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 pm

I think this year was the worst display of "tanking" I can recall in this league. With multiple teams in full "sell" mode before bye weeks even started.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:18 pm

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 pm I think this year was the worst display of "tanking" I can recall in this league. With multiple teams in full "sell" mode before bye weeks even started.
That's not my definition of tanking...You think Rebels, tanked, nope he sold out to early. There were a lot teams trading for future draft picks looking for the magic bullet. I probably should have been in full "sell" mode, but I simply go down with ship.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:50 pm I think this year was the worst display of "tanking" I can recall in this league. With multiple teams in full "sell" mode before bye weeks even started.
In this league, it's easy to figure out if you have enough to win it all. If you have no shot at your division then you want to sell and sell early because if you don't you can end up winning games that hurt your draft position. I wasn't able to sell and won 1 too many games. Now I'm playing for the 9th and 10th pick vs. playing for the 5th or 6th pick. That's a huge deal in a league as large and competitive as this one.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

monkeybones wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 pm
In this league, it's easy to figure out if you have enough to win it all. If you have no shot at your division then you want to sell and sell early because if you don't you can end up winning games that hurt your draft position. I wasn't able to sell and won 1 too many games. Now I'm playing for the 9th and 10th pick vs. playing for the 5th or 6th pick. That's a huge deal in a league as large and competitive as this one.
I will agree with part of that, But what if A. Luck played all year, what if .... dozens of examples. Now that everyone is getting the rules down...And we have a stable ownership group. it will only get better. Who knew the AFC was just gonna romp this year? I seen the writing on the wall for a few teams....

You can never win enough games, draft spot be damned.

Some of you should be playing in money leagues, I'm telling I've never lost money except one year in the last 15 years. The Yahoo leagues are the easiest, FBG leagues are harder, but the payout is spread out, Antsports is average, CBS and Espn leagues are fairly easy. I learn a lot from this league....

Anyway Merry Christmas to All.

citsalp1
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby citsalp1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 am

Hey can we make trades in the off season? Like now?

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:14 pm

citsalp1 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:27 am Hey can we make trades in the off season? Like now?
You can negotiate and agree on terms but you can't actually complete the trade during the offseason.

SuperHawks
Starter
Starter

Postby SuperHawks » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Where would find the draft order for the upcoming season?