2018 Season Discussion

The league forum for the Tecmo Bowl Fantasy League

Moderators: TrueDawg, monkeybones, Dionosys

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: 2018 Season Discussion

Postby monkeybones » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:38 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:29 am I've always felt unlucky in fantasy, but I seem to be having an unprecedentedly unlucky season. I have scored:

And I'm 3-3. I've lost in weeks where I scored 123 and 136 points. Teams are averaging scoring 125 points against me. The league average is in the mid 90s or so. What in the actual bleep?

I don't know an easy way to look it up but I'm certain that of all the biggest individual fantasy performances of the year, most of them have come against me. Tyreek's 42 and Thomas' 38, Cooper f'ing Kupp's 37, Barkley's 38. Jesus f'ing Christ. :wall:
Says the defending league champion and only owner to win this league twice.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am

Well this random early game screwed me with Gordon being inactive. Clearly I would not have started him if the game was at the normal time, so if I'm allowed to submit a full lineup (typing now at 11:08am ET), I would have replaced him with Duke Johnson.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 am

Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am Well this random early game screwed me with Gordon being inactive. Clearly I would not have started him if the game was at the normal time, so if I'm allowed to submit a full lineup (typing now at 11:08am ET), I would have replaced him with Duke Johnson.
I love the early start time because it's an extra game to watch but it sucks for Fantasy. As an owner, I have no issue with this but it would need approval from the rest of the league.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:15 am

monkeybones wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:02 am
Multiple Scorgasms wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:14 am Well this random early game screwed me with Gordon being inactive. Clearly I would not have started him if the game was at the normal time, so if I'm allowed to submit a full lineup (typing now at 11:08am ET), I would have replaced him with Duke Johnson.
I love the early start time because it's an extra game to watch but it sucks for Fantasy. As an owner, I have no issue with this but it would need approval from the rest of the league.
IDK. I didn't even realize there was an early game until I saw a scoring update, so I can appreciate it from that perspective; however, Gordon was a game-time decision going in, so it wasn't some huge surprise that he didn't play. To me, if you're putting someone like that in your lineup, then you're doing it with the understanding that you may have to make a last second change. If you're not going to be able to, for whatever reason, then you should "play it safe" or be preemptive in your proclamation. At the end of the day, it probably won't have a significant impact on the outcome of the game (then again, I certainly didn't expect 0.2 from Shady, or I wouldn't have considered him the "safe play" over Cohen), so I'd be more concerned with allowing the change for the precedent it sets going forward.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:29 am

I'm pretty sure we've done it multiple times, and this is a free league we play for fun and we should just call things like they are more often, rather than trying to be all prim and proper. Gordon is my auto-start, everyone knows that; and I'm always active and would have obviously replaced him, and everyone knows that, too. It's not like anything here is debatable, like it's a guy who's on my borderline EVER.

I'm saying that with the 100% expectation that his replacement's points will have zero impact, and I honestly couldn't care much less, just that I think we should take it easy on crap like this. And I've said that every time this or anything similar come up for others. There's nothing on the line... just fun.

OnABloodbuzz
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby OnABloodbuzz » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:32 pm

There's at least 3 Aussies here who get 3/4/5am Monday morning kick offs every week. Unless you've got Monday free or Schefter/Rapaport tweet something out late Sunday night, you're crossing your fingers on game time decisions in your sleep. Just the way it goes.

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:05 pm

tumbleweeds...

Congrats to Inferno on finishing with the best record, especially without Bell - sucks about Hunt

Congrats to Xulu on getting in, glad to see you snuck in after some bad luck during the year, deserved by the quality of team IMO

Speaking of which, happy to get in myself after a trying season, scoring the most points but also allowing the most by a mile and taking multiple brutal losses

Tough luck to Arch, very good team, in playoff position most of the year I believe but fall short at the end with a tough schedule

Having said that, it was a loaded year in the top half. 5 teams averaging 115+ points/game, another 3 teams averaging 103+

Fun season, but now the real fun begins!

OnABloodbuzz
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby OnABloodbuzz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:05 pm

My first time missing the playoffs since I got here, good luck to those still in it, should be a tight race.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 pm

I liked my team a lot more on paper before the season started LOL.

I hoped Barber, Mack, or Ajayi could be a solid RB2 to complement Kamara... none of which has happened, although all 3 of them have had random big weeks where they were startable.

With the exception of Juju, my WRs have been a huge disappointment, especially Fitzgerald. Edelman has given me solid production since he came back, though Gordon has stolen some targets. Watkins has been hit or miss but mostly meh... although he's been hurt for the last month. Kirk is looking like a nice pick though. If they can manage to develop Rosen, Kirk will be good... especially at pick 1.13.

The one pleasant surprise has been Trubisky. I did not expect QB1 production from him at all. And whatever you think of him as a real life QB, he's been great in fantasy. Phillip Lindsay has been a freaking stud though... arguably saved my season. I probably don't make the playoffs without him. If I had picked him up in KFFL too, I might have made the playoffs. I didn't cuz I thought he'd be more of a 3rd down / receiving back and thus, much more valuable in Tecmo.

Anyway... good luck all. Not really though... :lol:
Last edited by TrueDawg on Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks Dung! And, you're welcome! Funny how the schedule lined up.

Glad to "sneak" in this year, after close calls and bad luck have kept me out a few times in recent years. It's somewhat fitting that upon costing Can't Wait the bye, we face off in an immediate rematch for round one.

This may be my last hurrah. Definitely dropping one league (undecided which it would be), but may retire from Fantasy Football (sports?) entirely. It's odd, for years fantasy football was the only thing that kept me even remotely interested in the NFL, but even that interest has dwindled as life has changed. Over the past three seasons, I've gradually (and organically) connected as a fan to the Bears. Moving here and them taking a few of my favorite college players (Howard, Miller, etc.) helped, then they trade for Mack...One of my favorite players since I saw Buffalo play Ohio State a few years back. Actually bought a jersey, for the first time in a couple decades. Anyways, now that I have a real team again, it's proving harder to care as much about my fantasy teams. Also, aside from the Buckeyes and Bears, I'm more invested in what most of the world calls football, than "American football," these days.

We'll see. Definitely dropping one. Dunno if I'll actually be able to give it up entirely though.

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm

TrueDawg wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:19 pm I liked my team a lot more on paper before the season started LOL.

I hoped Barber, Mack, or Ajayi could be a solid RB2 to complement Kamara... none of which has happened, although all 3 of them have had random big weeks where they were startable.

With the exception of Juju, my WRs have been a huge disappointment, especially Fitzgerald. Edelman has given me solid production since he came back, though Gordon has stolen some targets. Watkins has been hit or miss but mostly meh... although he's been hurt for the last month. Kirk is looking like a nice pick though. If they can manage to develop Rosen, Kirk will be good... especially at pick 1.13.

The one pleasant surprise has been Trubisky. I did not expect QB1 production from him at all. And whatever you think of him as a real life QB, he's been great in fantasy. Phillip Lindsay has been a freaking stud though... arguably saved my season. I don't make the playoffs without him. If I had picked him up in KFFL too, I might have made the playoffs. I didn't cuz I thought he'd be more of a 3rd down / receiving back and thus, much more valuable in Tecmo.

Anyway... good luck all. Not really though... :lol:
Yeah, I knew I'd regret trading you JuJu. That was one of those "didn't trust my gut" moments. I honestly don't know if I'd ever been more against trading someone, then doing it. Really only did it because of the WR corps I had in place, and even then, i hated doing it. Him going to the Steelers may have been the only reason I managed to let myself, and that's probably been hugely to his(your) benefit.

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:48 pm

Xulu Bak wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:31 pm Yeah, I knew I'd regret trading you JuJu. That was one of those "didn't trust my gut" moments. I honestly don't know if I'd ever been more against trading someone, then doing it. Really only did it because of the WR corps I had in place, and even then, i hated doing it. Him going to the Steelers may have been the only reason I managed to let myself, and that's probably been hugely to his(your) benefit.
I was so happy to get Juju... especially in exchange for Shady, who I think only had 1 year left at the time (and I was not going to franchise tag him). I tried like hell to move up in the draft to get him, like I did in KFFL. :D

Xulu Bak
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Xulu Bak » Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm

So, are we shutting this thing down, after all these years? Between my dwindling interest in (American) football, especially the NFL, and a little one to keep me busy, I've been contemplating "retiring." This league (and seemingly KFFL too?) would certainly make that decision a lot easier.

monkeybones
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby monkeybones » Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 am

Xulu Bak wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 6:25 pm So, are we shutting this thing down, after all these years? Between my dwindling interest in (American) football, especially the NFL, and a little one to keep me busy, I've been contemplating "retiring." This league (and seemingly KFFL too?) would certainly make that decision a lot easier.
Not at all. I plan to play next year and many years going forward.