Re: Trade: inferno/Scorgasms

Postby bills2 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am

I feel like I don't understand trade value that much

Multiple Scorgasms
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Multiple Scorgasms » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 am

bills2 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:57 am I feel like I don't understand trade value that much
For the first time since I registered on this forum 3 years ago, I've been looking at the other forums this past week. The difference in player values and trading in general is staggering between those "regular" dynasty leagues and ours, which has layers upon layers of complexities to it.

There are a few reasons why Allen is (apparently) worth so little in this league:

1) Although we have 14 owners, unfortunately it's always been the case that only a portion of us are highly active and always looking to make trades. So that instantly reduces player value if you can only trade with let's say 50-70% of other owners.

2) Franchise players simply rarely get traded. $38k+ is a LOT of money to pay a player. That's about as much as any of the top-tier UFAs are going to sign for, so trading top assets on top of that is something you'll almost never see. Usually players are either franchise tagged, or let go into UFA if the owner doesn't think he's worth the $ or ...

3) ... as in this case, the owner does not have the cap space to keep the player. So this is literally a case of getting something instead of nothing. And to be honest, although Dio can speak for himself, I think he's been too busy recently to be sending a bunch of trade offers out, and apparently he didn't get any other interest apart from me (I initiated the trade). Plus you can combine this point with #1.

4) Lastly, but probably most importantly, and this is the point which I bet almost no one would pay attention to: franchising Allen again in 2019 will cost over $46,000 which is an absolute obscene amount and makes it INCREDIBLY likely he's a one-year rental.

It will probably take you a while to adjust to this league, no question. I noticed you made a post some time ago about being fairly new to dynasty leagues (2 years was it?) but this league is a whole different kettle of fish. Just so, so many things to consider with every move you make.

My mantra has always been that cap is KING. I've never made a move like this before. In the past, for me to take on a cap hit of almost 40k you would've had to give ME draft picks. But this year is different; I'm defending champ bringing back my whole core, and I wanted one more elite player rather than using my cap space on depth guys, and this trade is better for me than trying to win a bidding war in UFA. That should be a fun experience for you in a couple weeks.

Welcome again! :D

TrueDawg
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TrueDawg » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:01 pm

The salary cap and contract details certainly play a role in trade negotiations / player value... nobody is going to pay a premium for a 1-year deal. And nobody bid on Allen during the FT period. So he is on a 1-year deal.

That said, this still feels like giving him away...

Dionosys
Captain
Captain

Postby Dionosys » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:10 pm

I could have allowed him to walk for nothing and kept pick 3:13. I moved up 13 spots though and into the 2nd round. Allowing him to walk for nothing IMO would be giving him away. You have to remember I had him for multiple years and the centerpiece of the trade that brought him to me was a crazy RB from Dallas that was busted stealing underwear.